Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 11:52 PM

81 posts, read 244,647 times

Advertisements

Yes, i know i post a lot of threads, but i'm just doing this so im better prepared for college!! so... go me! lololol

Anyway.
I'm having trouble choosing a major... I want a career that
  • makes a lot of money
  • business setting
  • nice office preferably in a HUGE building (=])
Def. not medicine.. i dont think i can stand 12 years of post high school classes- no way!

Business of some sort.
What is engineering????
I like science and expirementing..
and suggestions?!!!!!!!!
ANYTHING WILL DO!!
thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 05:06 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,770 times
Quote:
* makes a lot of money
* business setting
* nice office preferably in a HUGE building (=])
If this is all that is important to you, I would suggest you'll never succeed. People that succeed and "make a lot of money" in a field are the ones that are truly interested in the field.

Perhaps you should do a little more thinking about what you want to spend your life doing rather than the size of your office. You'll be happier in the end.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:47 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times
Originally Posted by TriniLiciousSs
Quote:
* nice office preferably in a HUGE building (=])
Why do you find this important for choosing your career?

Old 06-30-2008, 07:04 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,734,196 times
Do what you like to do. Not what gets you the best office building. Go in with realistic expectations. A "business major" can vary--there are some very useful business majors (like accounting/finance) and then there's total BS majors (like management---and people can't slam me on this as I was one.) Don't go into a major because it "sounds good". Go into a major because you know it is something you can do, could like doing, and --if you are that money-driven---that it is high in demand.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:22 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,511,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triniliciousss View Post
yes, i know i post a lot of threads, but i'm just doing this so im better prepared for college!! So... Go me! Lololol

anyway.
  • makes a lot of money
  • business setting
  • nice office preferably in a huge building (=])
def. Not medicine.. I dont think i can stand 12 years of post high school classes- no way!

Business of some sort.
What is engineering????
And suggestions?!!!!!!!!
Anything will do!!
Thanks guys!
roflmao!!!!!!

Old 06-30-2008, 08:24 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,932 times
[*] makes a lot of money
-- We all want that and generally those who become wealthy have the right mindset and drive. I know a theater major who is now VP of a company. My neighbor never went to college and owns his own HVAC company, plus another company (forget the field) - very wealthy, successful man. I know some PhDs in engineering who do just okay, monetarily speaking.

[*]business setting
-- What does this mean? Business takes many forms and can occur in offices, airplanes, construction sites, etc.

[*]nice office preferably in a HUGE building (=])
-- What does this have to do with anything?

Business of some sort.
-- It almost always boils down to business, anyway.

What is engineering????
-- If you don't know what it is, then I don't think you should follow this path.

and suggestions?!!!!!!!!
ANYTHING WILL DO!!
-- Then close your eyes and pick something.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:49 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriniLiciousSs View Post
Yes, i know i post a lot of threads, but i'm just doing this so im better prepared for college!! so... go me! lololol

Anyway.
  • makes a lot of money
  • business setting
Def. not medicine.. i dont think i can stand 12 years of post high school classes- no way!

Business of some sort.
What is engineering????
and suggestions?!!!!!!!!
ANYTHING WILL DO!!
thanks guys!
no, no ,no anything WILL NOT DO!!!

no offense, but this post comes off very naive and childish.

you're asking for advice about a career you could end up doing for 50% of your lifetime! don't waste time, energy, and money getting a degree and doing one career only to find that, while it pays will, makes you miserable. if office space and pay are your main criteria for a job, you are going to go through adulthood very miserable, burned out, and will likely be one of those people that switch careers every few years (and switching careers is stressful and expensive)

I'm not sure why you're asking this question now; I've read your posts on the Boston forum and stated you were taking a seminar at BU and were taking law and business. a career in law can be very stressful, usually requires a graduate degree, which is expensive to get, and, unless you graduate from a very prestigious school, doesn't pay all that much. why drag yourself to an expensive city like Boston and pay to go to an expensive school like BU if you have no clue whatsoever what you want to do? you'd be better off going to a community college in NJ to figure out what you want to do

someone mentioned this as a response to one of your previous threads, about a study/poll done that stated most kids of this generation want to be rich and famous, but these are very unrealistic goals. better to find a career that makes you happy than try to find one that nets you a corner office in a Manhattan skyscraper and a six digit paycheck

you REALLY need to slow down, sit down w/ a career advisor of guidance counselor (I get the impression from your posts you're still in HS), and pick out some careers that might work for you. take one of those teats that measures your strengths and weaknesses. I love science, especially biology, and love animals, so automatically decided to pursue my childhood desire and went into pre-veterinary. turns out I despise math and didn't like the idea of working around death and illness so much (I volunteered at an animal hospital and every time I left, I would be stressed out and on the verge of crying. for that same reason, i basically crossed off medicine as a career choice. I'm not "hard" enough to deal w/ death everyday!). now I'm a writing major, a major that I KNOW won't guarantee me any huge paychecks or anything larger than a office cubicle if I don't pump out that next Great American Novel or Screenplay. my strengths have always been in the creative and language departments, as opposed to math and science (my tests scores always back this up; I always do better in any verbal or writing portion of a test than in a math one).

you need to decide what you want to do w/ your life and not make money a deciding factor. volunteering is a great way to figure this out. you may discover you want to work w/ animals or kids after volunteering at an animal shelter or after-school program. you could intern at an office or at a hospital to see if these suit you more (I know you knocked medicine off your list b/c of the number of years spent in school, but fields like Nursing are 4 year degrees and you may find you like it). many people switch majors in college after trying out different courses, so don't just stick to one major and set of courses.

honestly, if anything truly will do, why not just pick up a vocational skill and open your own business? become a plumber or electrician or work w/ HVAC systems. these people make decent money w/o worrying about paying back massive school loans. if anything truly will do and you just happen to be brilliant, then just go to an Ivy League school and major in something like law or business. you may come to find out you HATE law and business, that everyday after work you feel like shooting yourself in the head, that your stress and disgust w/ your career will destroy marriages and friendships, but, if you graduate from Harvard Law or Wharton, you'll likely get that nice office and six digit paycheck

Old 06-30-2008, 11:02 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,106,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriniLiciousSs View Post
I want a career that
  • makes a lot of money
  • business setting
Since those are the thoughts of a small child, we can skip them in this discussion.

Quote:
What is engineering????
You have the entire world at your fingertips: the internet, specifically Google, and you have all the libraries in your area, which will tell you everything you want to know about everything.

Quote:
Do you mean "experimenting"? I certainly hope you don't mean "expirementing".... You might want to cultivate precision of thought and expression... This IS, after all, your life; anything you waste you won't get back.

Whatever you enjoy spending your energy and time thinking about is the start of your conversations with your guidance counselor, career advisor, teachers and family. Anything you like is something that will make your heart sing, which is the only life worth getting up in the morning for, the only goal in life worth pursuing. And is the pursuit that will bring you what you the life you want.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:03 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times
Originally Posted by allforcats
Quote:
Since those are the thoughts of a small child, we can skip them in this discussion.
If you want to give people a piece of advice or if you just want them to read your entire post you should not start with accusing them of being stupid and / or being childish.
There are no stupid and / or childish questions, only stupid answers.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:05 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,106,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
There are no stupid and / or childish questions
There are no stupid questions, nor did I say there are. Children ask childish questions their whole children-years lives. There ARE, by definition of life, childish questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities