Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:40 PM

81 posts, read 244,684 times

Advertisements

thank you !
I'm sorry about like freaking out before..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 12:42 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,354,504 times
Trin, you live in NJ, right? do you live in a major city? I know in Boston, there's the HERC, Higher Education Resource Center, located in the Copley Public Library. these people (I believe they're connected w/ TERI, but not 100% sure) help you out w/ anything and everything related to higher education. they provide computers so you can do searches on schools and fill out online applications and the FAFSA (and they help you answer questions on the FAFSA), they have tons of books about majors, careers, colleges, and finacial aid, and are there and trained to answers questions like you've been asking. I would try to see if your city provides something similar.

check out this link for info about majors and careers (the site is run by the company that does the SAT). if you do a couple of google searches, you should find similar sites. you could also stop by a community college and ask to speak w/ one of their counselors. or sign on on a school's website and ask to have catalogs sent to you. the key is to do a lot of research, both on your own and w/ the proper adults. no one here can do that research for you, we can answer specific questions, but not overly vague and unrealistic ones like "what type of job can I get that pays the most money?" a search will pull up some good info and advice, but you need to do the footwork to make sure that career/major choice is right for you (I can't stress enough the importance of volunteer work, interships, and work experience).

I don't think people are being mean, just realistic and very, very blunt. don't pick a career based on pay and office space, don't pick a college solely based on prestige.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:46 PM

thank you..
that was helpful..
and yes, i do live in NJ- but not close to a city- i live in the jersey shore area

and i'll try to remember not to post vague questions

thanks all

Old 06-30-2008, 04:27 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,158,323 times
Quote:
Oh and for the record--- My guidance councelors SUCK!
Guidance counselors are people that couldn't get a better job as a result they are not a good source of information. Basically, if they were good at being a "guidance counselor" they would more than likely not be a guidance counselor. Sorta funny....really.

Anyhow, stop focusing on money and things of that nature or you'll never get it.

Also, there are plenty of stupid questions.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:00 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,513,124 times
I can't believe you guys are taking this child seriously.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:10 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,240,899 times
Originally Posted by nitokenshi
Quote:
I have this strange habit of taking everyone who seeks knowledge very seriously.
Call it a character flaw.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:29 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,158,323 times
Quote:
Actually, I think should take them seriously. If I had to guess they are from a family that is lower on the socio-economic ladder, which means they probably have nobody around them to can make good recommendations as far as college is considered.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriniLiciousSs View Post
Yes, i know i post a lot of threads, but i'm just doing this so im better prepared for college!! so... go me! lololol

Anyway.
I'm having trouble choosing a major... I want a career that
  • makes a lot of money
  • business setting
  • nice office preferably in a HUGE building (=])
Def. not medicine.. i dont think i can stand 12 years of post high school classes- no way!

Business of some sort.
What is engineering????
I like science and expirementing..
and suggestions?!!!!!!!!
ANYTHING WILL DO!!
thanks guys!
When a kid says something like above it is obvious that they should be pushed to taking gap year and figure things out not directly into college.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Guidance counselors are people that couldn't get a better job as a result they are not a good source of information. Basically, if they were good at being a "guidance counselor" they would more than likely not be a guidance counselor. Sorta funny....really.

Anyhow, stop focusing on money and things of that nature or you'll never get it.

Also, there are plenty of stupid questions.

yeah I know about the whole monetary issue..
I'll calm down.. lol ..

Old 06-30-2008, 06:06 PM

visit College Admissions, Search, and Financial Aid Help from College Confidential for all of your college questions. I really suggest you take a gap year (time off) and figure things out because it seems like you do not have a clue what you want out of life. Maybe your future does not require a college education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities