Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 06:21 PM

746 posts, read 873,083 times

Advertisements

College for financial reasons. I most likely wouldn't qualify to go in the military. My dad has said I should go in cause they'll shape me up and pay for college afterwards, and because its completely free to join. If I even qualified I'd probably be going in mainly because I have zero other options. It'd sure beat staying at home for another year or two (if I didn't get kicked out of the house). Without college or the military how can an 18 year old get anywhere in this country? I am not willing to move to another country. And I can't travel the world right after high school because that takes money and a lot of it.

The gap year thing could be hell for me (ok it most likely would). I'm pushed out of being comfortable, yes that CAN be good but I have metal problems and will breakdown and would probably try to kill myself. Because it looks like game over there's no way to get anywhere. I lack basic life skills, won't get to learn them, have an unbalanced brain and can't put life on hold for it, I feel like I don't really even know how humans act anymore. Like I've been shut off from the world. What good is calling 911 or 1800 SUICIDE GONNA DO? It's not gonna fix things. It's just going to cause hell at home and me ending up on the streets. I can't just do things to fix things like some people say, it's not that easy. I am not willing to live my whole life like this. I can't live at home much longer, maybe not even one year. I'm really screwed and don't see a way out. I don't want to be a loser who sits on his computer all day and is still a virgin at 30 and has no friends.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-21-2014 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: Made a paragragh for easier reading
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 07:45 PM

11,642 posts, read 24,036,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
College for financial reasons. I most likely wouldn't qualify to go in the military. My dad has said I should go in cause they'll shape me up and pay for college afterwards, and because its completely free to join. If I even qualified I'd probably be going in mainly because I have zero other options. It'd sure beat staying at home for another year or two (if I didn't get kicked out of the house). Without college or the military how can an 18 year old get anywhere in this country? I am not willing to move to another country. And I can't travel the world right after high school because that takes money and a lot of it. The gap year thing could be hell for me (ok it most likely would). I'm pushed out of being comfortable, yes that CAN be good but I have metal problems and will breakdown and would probably try to kill myself. Because it looks like game over there's no way to get anywhere. I lack basic life skills, won't get to learn them, have an unbalanced brain and can't put life on hold for it, I feel like I don't really even know how humans act anymore. Like I've been shut off from the world. What good is calling 911 or 1800 SUICIDE GONNA DO? It's not gonna fix things. It's just going to cause hell at home and me ending up on the streets. I can't just do things to fix things like some people say, it's not that easy. I am not willing to live my whole life like this. I can't live at home much longer, maybe not even one year. I'm really screwed and don't see a way out. I don't want to be a loser who sits on his computer all day and is still a virgin at 30 and has no friends.
Why can't you get a job?

Old 03-20-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Why can't you get a job?
I can but I can't make a lot without college. Also in 2020 I read you'll have to have a college degree to be able to make more than minimum wage. I'd like to go to college now so I could enjoy it, its said the first two years are when it all happens, so if you transfer later you might miss out and end up alone because everyone locks in a group of friends by the time. Finding single women then, I don't even know about that. You need college or the military to get anywhere in life in this country. That's what the news says. They stress you need college though.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:00 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,313,812 times
Quote:
I can but I can't make a lot without college. Also in 2020 I read you'll have to have a college degree to be able to make more than minimum wage. I'd like to go to college now so I could enjoy it, its said the first two years are when it all happens, so if you transfer later you might miss out and end up alone because everyone locks in a group of friends by the time. Finding single women then, I don't even know about that. You need college or the military to get anywhere in life in this country. That's what the news says. They stress you need college though.
That's the problem today, everyone wants to start as a CEO.

You need to quit feeling sorry for yourself and get out and find a job. If you stick with fast food or retail it is going to be minimum wage but some manual labor entry level jobs will pay you more than minimum wage. Use the experience you gain from being employed to look for a better job.

The longer you sit around and wait to get started the longer you're going to be saying "I can but I can't make a lot without college".

Old 03-20-2014, 10:12 PM

4,862 posts, read 8,014,967 times
Go work at UPS and when you turn 21 get a CDL license and drive the big rigs. As for finding a woman there's someone for everyone. You could join the military and work in a kitchen.

The reason you feel the way you do is because in your limited experience you don't know what you don't know about life. Most of no one is where they expected to when we were at your age. Life is a journey. Just don't let drugs or booze take hold.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:16 PM

561 posts, read 1,186,253 times
Not to be a keyboard mental health professional or anything, but it sounds like your problems are more general than figuring out what you want for work. Are there any counselors you can meet with for minimal or low cost? I think public health clinics might have mental health counselors, or at least they can refer you to them.

But as far as work goes, Caltovegas does have a point about getting a CDL when you're 21. It's not that difficult to get (typically takes about 2 mos) and it pays fairly well.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:16 PM

My anxiety problems (with OCD) make it terrifying/hard for me to drive. I got about 15 minutes of driving that felt like it was an instinct I was born with, then boom here comes OCD/anxiety thoughts to ruin it for me.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:43 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,268,953 times
Quote:
College for financial reasons. I most likely wouldn't qualify to go in the military. My dad has said I should go in cause they'll shape me up and pay for college afterwards, and because its completely free to join. If I even qualified I'd probably be going in mainly because I have zero other options. It'd sure beat staying at home for another year or two (if I didn't get kicked out of the house). Without college or the military how can an 18 year old get anywhere in this country? I am not willing to move to another country. And I can't travel the world right after high school because that takes money and a lot of it. The gap year thing could be hell for me (ok it most likely would). I'm pushed out of being comfortable, yes that CAN be good but I have metal problems and will breakdown and would probably try to kill myself. Because it looks like game over there's no way to get anywhere. I lack basic life skills, won't get to learn them, have an unbalanced brain and can't put life on hold for it, I feel like I don't really even know how humans act anymore. Like I've been shut off from the world. What good is calling 911 or 1800 SUICIDE GONNA DO? It's not gonna fix things. It's just going to cause hell at home and me ending up on the streets. I can't just do things to fix things like some people say, it's not that easy. I am not willing to live my whole life like this. I can't live at home much longer, maybe not even one year. I'm really screwed and don't see a way out. I don't want to be a loser who sits on his computer all day and is still a virgin at 30 and has no friends.

I'd advise college. You do seem to lack basic life skills. For example, you would greatly benefit from an English composition course.

Go online and Google the following - "community colleges with dormitories" And "colleges that accept most applicants" or "colleges with open admissions policies". See what you find. If you have no money and your parents are not able to contribute, there are loans and grants available.

You do not in any way seem ready for the military.

There is a program where one commits to military service after graduating with a BA. That would be a four year degree. When you graduate, they repay all or most of your loans and you repay them with a certain amount of service to your country.

Google those 2 things, and go on the Military forum. The people their will be able to assist you better than I.

However, do believe me when I say that you are not emotionally mature enough to enter into any branch of the service now.

Best of luck, and report back after you have done your research.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:27 AM

11,642 posts, read 24,036,131 times
Quote:
You can make more than you will make whining about not being able to go to college.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:05 PM

209 posts, read 306,435 times
Have you looked into community college? They are FAR cheaper than 4-year schools and there are plenty of aid/loan/scholarship opportunities. Also, you don't have to worry about all of the action being in the first 4 years because community college doesn't have that stuff; you just meet women in class.

I can relate to your situation. I graduated high school in 2009 and spent a year and half looking for jobs and trying to get into a broadcasting school that was out of my price range. I settled on community college as a last resort.

Quote:
My anxiety problems (with OCD) make it terrifying/hard for me to drive. I got about 15 minutes of driving that felt like it was an instinct I was born with, then boom here comes OCD/anxiety thoughts to ruin it for me.
How about using public transit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities