Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In the current college environment, what would you recommend for a first year student for housing
Dorm (on- campus) 37 90.24%
Off Campus Housing 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 05:18 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,891 times

Advertisements

We (our family) could really use some input on whether in today's college climate a Freshman boy would be better off living in a dorm or off-campus.

My husband and I have different experiences relative to dorm v. off-campus, but it has been quite some time since we were in our first year of college. I enjoyed being on-campus more than off-campus and eventually decided to have a dorm with no roommates. I still prefer to be around the activity, but alone in it for a study environment. My husband preferred living in a pop up camper and recalls living in a dorm as the worst year of his life.

We are also concerned that the overall campus life experience has changed over the years. We both continue our education, but you know... things are different for Continuing Ed students.

So, if you have any input, or things to consider that would help us to make a decision, we would appreciate it. My son knows I am posting this because he also admits he is not sure.

Here is some information about our son that *may* be relevant:
  • He is leaning toward off-campus because the idea of being surrounded by noise in his home environment worries him.
  • He shows no signs of reckless behavior right now, and I can't imagine it with his personality
  • He is physically strong and able
  • He is responsible with things like checking in, he doesn't lose his phone, and spends very little money
  • He can lack motivation, meaning he is inconsistent in his ability to do school work as a self-starter (Hard to admit, but it's out there).
  • He wants to school at a Junior College (2 year) to start due to a specific technical skill he wants. The school is about 5 hours away.
  • His grades are at a 3.65 coming into his Senior year.
  • ...I can't think of anything else. Please ask

Last edited by Robinstyler; 07-26-2013 at 05:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 05:37 PM

22,617 posts, read 47,741,590 times
My kids favored on campus... for all four years even though they could have moved off campus.
They liked being in the thick of things.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:40 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,590,036 times
I don't understand - community colleges don't usually have dorms. And if he's living off campus, would that mean at home or just in an off campus apt?

Most colleges recommend dorms for incoming freshmen - they provide a small semblance of structure and make sure students mostly get fed and have some supervision (although the supervision can be pretty lax). So generally that's better for a first year student. However, I think you need to consider the recommendation of the school itself and what the life is like in the dorms.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I don't understand - community colleges don't usually have dorms. And if he's living off campus, would that mean at home or just in an off campus apt?
This particular school has dorms; It is a Junior College. I made an err in my original post...

His first choice school is 5 hours away. So, a commute from home is not an option.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:35 PM

809 posts, read 1,332,302 times
If he lives off campus would he live alone?
You state he is reliable, etc. but who would miss him (not know if he didn't return to his off campus apt). I am encouraging on campus housing for safety reasons even if it is a safe area.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
If he lives off campus would he live alone?
You state he is reliable, etc. but who would miss him (not know if he didn't return to his off campus apt). I am encouraging on campus housing for safety reasons even if it is a safe area.
I can only speak to his reliability within my own home, so I'm at that place where I can't be sure. Safety is my concern, and I'm thinking that perhaps we could meet half way and select a dorm without a roommate. That way, at least the RA (if they still call them that) would be on the lookout.

I dunno.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:56 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times
I'm not familiar with many 2 year colleges that offer housing it's hard to say what THIS school living environment would be like, I'm guessing nothing like a big 4 year university no matter how you slice it.

That said, I think he would be better off in the dorm. My eldest skipped dorms and went into an apartment with a few other people....it gave her a similar experience minus the communal bathroom and let her cook, which was important.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:38 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,629,273 times
There aren't a ton of two-year colleges that are residential, but they do exist.

On or off campus...depends on the school, the kid. My college required freshmen to live on campus, actually. I personally much preferred living on campus, for the convenience as well as the social aspect.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:35 AM

17,717 posts, read 29,863,438 times
Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My college required freshmen to live on campus, actually. I personally much preferred living on campus, for the convenience as well as the social aspect.
Four years on campus. Short walk to everything. Easy to find some people to play pick-up sports with.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:36 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,346,542 times
Studies show that students that live on campus do much better academically. I think your husband's experience is out of the ordinary and most people find living on campus is the better choice, especially for the first couple years.

I would just make sure going to the junior college is the right path to take and credits transfer and he isn't losing out on money to pay for the 4 year college. His GPA is high enough, depending on what his ACT/SAT scores are that he should qualify for merit aid at many schools. What is he going to major in? Also, if he is picking this junior college just because of one major, what happens if he gets into it and doesn't like it--what other options are there for him there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities