Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:42 PM

506 posts, read 958,005 times

Advertisements

I'm worry about the same things sometimes OP. I'm 22 now, but in a 2 year college about to transfer. When I do graduate with a BA, I will be about 24/25 and it's freaking me out a bit to be older than the regular age most people graduate their undergraduate college. When I do transfer I will be the older one in my class with everyone younger than me.

I also want to go to grad school after which wouldn't be a problem since most people in their mid 20s and up seem to go to grad school. I think it feels like a lot start because we are a few years older than the people we are going to be in school with so it feels like we haven't done as much in the standard time frame most traditional age college students have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 06:43 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
heh I certinally hope not, i am working on my 2nd degree and wont be done till 29-eep... there are lots of reasons that one finishes college later and while it may not be ideal as long as you finish that is what counts.

For many that are finishing college later, it is proably because of a choice made in the past: maybe if I didnt drop out, take a year off, majored in X which lead to no job, went straight to a 4 year instead of a 2 etc... However we cannont change the past, as much as we reminise and want to, we can't change it, we can only move forward. So for whatever reason that you are finishing college later than normal-that doesn't matter, the key thing is to finish.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:16 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Hi,

I'm on the verge of graduation...but I would perhaps like to extend my stay and get another degree. I'm 22, I'd be done at 23 if I were to simply not do a double major, but I'd be 24 or 25 if I did. My problem is, is that too long to be in college?

I'd have a BA in Phil and a BS in Math.

And all the debt associated with that.

Eventually, I'd like to find a nice job, work off all the debt, and start on a Ph.D program...by the time I'm 30 is when I'd look into Ph.D programs. Mostly because I've always wanted a Ph.D....call it my hobby of choice.

Is 25 too late?
Laughed at your question. My sister got her Bachelor's at 45 and her Master's a few years later. Two of my coworkers just got their Bachelor's this past year. One is 50 and one is 47. You are very young.

Too late for what?

Old 09-02-2012, 04:41 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,150,827 times
Like the above poster said, that's late? The majority of people who graduated college that I knew were 23-35.

Of course, we had a few normal ones who were done at 20-22 in my family and school but it wasn't uncommon to find 30 year old freshmen. I saw the grad roster, most people went back to college and finished a degree way after they graduated HS at 16-19.

My mom didn't earn her BS 'til she was 52. Enough said.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:13 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Sounds like OP is going to be a world traveler and a career student that never really sticks to any career path or even keeps a job very long. Nothing wrong with that at all. It takes a certain mindset and it seems the OP has this mindset.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:18 PM

114 posts, read 239,700 times
Its nothing to freak out about stop bein silly, but if I was your parents Id be pissd

Old 09-04-2012, 11:32 AM

919 posts, read 1,781,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Hi,

I'm on the verge of graduation...but I would perhaps like to extend my stay and get another degree. I'm 22, I'd be done at 23 if I were to simply not do a double major, but I'd be 24 or 25 if I did. My problem is, is that too long to be in college?

I'd have a BA in Phil and a BS in Math.

And all the debt associated with that.

Eventually, I'd like to find a nice job, work off all the debt, and start on a Ph.D program...by the time I'm 30 is when I'd look into Ph.D programs. Mostly because I've always wanted a Ph.D....call it my hobby of choice.

Is 25 too late?

Yes, absolutely, at 25, if you haven't done everything that you're supposed to do, if you're not on a complete life track and made every life decision by that age, yes it is too late. You have no future.....

Old 09-04-2012, 05:18 PM

82 posts, read 267,845 times
its never too late

Old 09-05-2012, 10:21 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
I'm worry about the same things sometimes OP. I'm 22 now, but in a 2 year college about to transfer. When I do graduate with a BA, I will be about 24/25 and it's freaking me out a bit to be older than the regular age most people graduate their undergraduate college. When I do transfer I will be the older one in my class with everyone younger than me.

I also want to go to grad school after which wouldn't be a problem since most people in their mid 20s and up seem to go to grad school. I think it feels like a lot start because we are a few years older than the people we are going to be in school with so it feels like we haven't done as much in the standard time frame most traditional age college students have.
Not sure why being 2-3 years older is freaking you out. When you look for a job/grad school, at best you'll look more mature (i.e. more serious, disciplined, etc) than most others. At worst, they'll ask you what happened and you'll knock them out with a good explanation because you'll have planned the answer. Win-win.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:12 PM

77 posts, read 303,469 times
I got my degree at 25/26, I found that my life experience looked better to employers. I had worked and led a life before college and employers could look at me and know who I was and where I came from.

Besides, age preferences for entry level jobs are below 30, meaning you have 4 years to start a career before age becomes a question. Just get the degree and network while a lot of others party and waste away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities