Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 02:39 PM

4 posts, read 45,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Social workers don't do the kind of counseling she is talking about. They evaluate situations and recommend counseling but don't do it themselves. Most are cautioned NOT to do counseling. School counselors do NO counseling for psychological problems like these. They counsel for school problems, maybe go as far as dealing with bullies but once it gets into family problems, they refer to a school psychologist or an outside resource. School counselor's function is to help kids through the school process.

OP your options really are to get an undergrad in psychology and a masters in counseling and most likely a PhD in psychology to do the work you want to do. Neither of these jobs really pay well enough to live in New York City though
You ARE NOT correct in your statement golfgal. i don't know where you get your information from, but let me give you the CORRECT information:

A School Social Worker does provide counseling, assessment, and crisis intervention to students. The School Social Worker is a Masters level Clinician who has been trained in assessment, human and social development,cutural competence, individual and group counseling, and theorectical practices.

As a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, I have more training than a School Psychologist, in addressing the the behavioral and mental heath needs of children and families. because of my years of training an practice in order to get my license, I am authorized to provide psychotherapy, using various therapuetic modalities that a School psychologist has no idea of. A School psychologist does not have the training to do as such. hence, he/she is not authorized to do so.The school districts that underu tilize the school social worker are doing a great disservice to their children and family in their respective schools.

Don't let the ignorance of others prevent you from getting the REAL information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 01:35 PM

4 posts, read 45,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica1990 View Post
thanks everybody. i think im going to apply to both msw and phd programs, but im leaning more towards the masters.
Good choice Erica. Doing your own research is very important. Apparently, after reading some of these responses, there are individuals who know that Social Workers have an extensive clinical background and actually utilize it in the counseling field; and some have no idea what a Social Worker can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities