Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:11 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times

Advertisements

I think LCSW . . .I think it is more versatile than a psychologist . . .I don't know about the clinical hours . . .if they are the same or different . . .I think that would make a difference. In my state clinical hours needed for psychologists are 3,000 last time I inquired . . . so you have to be able to support yourself through school, then through internships and externships which pay little to nothing.

So basically you have to be well off or be willing to rack up HUGE student loans . . .and I don't recommend doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 06:14 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
In my state, LCSW's can do private counseling as well as more traditional clinical social work.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:09 PM

168 posts, read 338,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Social workers don't do the kind of counseling she is talking about. They evaluate situations and recommend counseling but don't do it themselves. Most are cautioned NOT to do counseling. School counselors do NO counseling for psychological problems like these. They counsel for school problems, maybe go as far as dealing with bullies but once it gets into family problems, they refer to a school psychologist or an outside resource. School counselor's function is to help kids through the school process.

OP your options really are to get an undergrad in psychology and a masters in counseling and most likely a PhD in psychology to do the work you want to do. Neither of these jobs really pay well enough to live in New York City though

Clinical social workers in private practice can do that sort of counseling. You can become a psychotherapist with a degree in social work.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,187 times
Default LCSW's are counselors

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Social workers don't do the kind of counseling she is talking about. They evaluate situations and recommend counseling but don't do it themselves. Most are cautioned NOT to do counseling. School counselors do NO counseling for psychological problems like these.
Golfgal....you are wrong about that. A masters in social work allows one to begin the LCSW supervision process. LCSW's, even those in beginning supervision right out of the program, can counsel in the same way that LPC's do.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:12 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie99 View Post
Golfgal....you are wrong about that. A masters in social work allows one to begin the LCSW supervision process. LCSW's, even those in beginning supervision right out of the program, can counsel in the same way that LPC's do.
Also, in many cases LPC's have to pay for their supervision and most who are on the path to becoming LCSWs do not. I found this out through meetings with a career counselor at my previous university.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:39 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica1990 View Post
I am currently a psych undergrad and am looking into graduate schools. What I want to do is work in a mental health clinic and counsel children and teenagers who are being abused or who have severe emotional problems.

1. Which graduate degree would be best for me to be able to do this, and also allow me flexibility?

2. Which would I be able to make the most money living in NYC? I will also be multilingual, speaking 4 languages by the time I"m done with grad school.

Thanks in advance!
I need to ask you which one you LIKE. They are similar but very different.

For example in time of training. A Phd can take as long as ten years. You will ne awarded a MA/S at some point, and if at that point you have "had enough" you can walk away with the Masters.

Being multi-lingual is always good.

1. To be able to do this fastest and with the most options in terms of being hired, the MSW offers the most flexibility. You mentioned NYC and in NY State, where I am from; it is the most marketable of the Master's degrees that you mentioned. For complicated reasons.

NY State is late in recognising Mental Health counselors at the Master's level.

In fact they only started doing this a few years ago. There are NO PSYCHOLOGISTS in NY State in ANY type of practice with only an MA. MA programs in NY State are stepping stones into PhD programs or for personal enrichment OR to teach at the community or small college level.

2. To earn the most money in NYC? That's easy. A PhD. Then a PsyD.
The PsyD is more West Coast and was looked down upon in the North East until recently. Now I do know PsyDs who work in student health services at two SUNY campuses.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:41 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
In my state, LCSW's can do private counseling as well as more traditional clinical social work.
Are you from NY State? That is true there too. I think it offers the most flexibility in the most states without the PhD or PsyD.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:36 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
As others have stated, if you get an MSW in clinical social work, then get the requisite supervision and hours under your belt, you can practice as in independent therapist, billing insurance, etc. At least in the states i am aware of.

MSWs can do lots of things, however, not just do therapy. So as most have stated, it's your most versatile degree.

But again, the PhD gets your more money, typically, and opens up the possibility of doing psych testing.

There do seem to be lots of jobs for clinicians out there. I have seen that the VA actually pays pretty well for MSW clinicians...

Old 10-25-2012, 04:56 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Remember to volunteer in the areas of your interest. You will find what jobs you take early on will pigeon hole you later....build your resume as you go through school. Plenty of placements turn into full time positions...It is a lot like other fields...It may come down to who you know. Get to know the agency you wish to work in...Volunteer.. always remember the little people at every agency....smooze a lil it can make a big difference.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:42 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
This thread was started in January of this year. The latest post by the op is this one https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...l#post26359570

Quote:
I am moving to Harlem from out-of-state to attend City College and want to buy a car. Should I or would it be a waste of money? Also, is a car useful in Queens? I have family there.
I'm guessing that she made her decision.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities