Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Likelihood of having a high paid position 10 years out is..
Likely 17 73.91%
Possible but not probable 4 17.39%
Not too likely 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 01:34 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times

Advertisements

They say Software Engineering is the hottest field in terms of job growth in the next 20 years here in the US. Do you believe this or think it is baloney? Given the direction that overseas labor is coming here for much lower wages how do you think it will impact this career choice going forward?

What are you opinions of the current state of Software Engineering in terms of career prospects and the opportunity to land in a high paid position (six figures) 10 years into the job assuming good job performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 06:42 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
They say Software Engineering is the hottest field in terms of job growth in the next 20 years here in the US. Do you believe this or think it is baloney? Given the direction that overseas labor is coming here for much lower wages how do you think it will impact this career choice going forward?

What are you opinions of the current state of Software Engineering in terms of career prospects and the opportunity to land in a high paid position (six figures) 10 years into the job assuming good job performance.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I was in the Software Engineering field for almost 30 years. I think the current state of Sofware engineering, in terms of career prospects and opportunities is excellent. If you are a strong performer, it won't take 10 years to get into the six figure range, for salary. (I have hired literally hundreds of SW engineers, and recently they start around $70K or so). This is in New England.

Just to clarify, since the title of the thread refers to Computer Science, and your question is about Software Engineering; the two fields are not exactly the same. In many universities, CS iare in the Science department (along with chemistry, math, physics etc), where SWE is in the engineering department (along with EE, ME etc).

Old 11-29-2011, 01:53 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
It is still a great field. I work as a software engineer for a major corporation in a major city in the northeast. We posted a job for a one a month ago and only got 12 applicants, only two of which were remotely qualified for some pretty basic skills. It is tough to find a decent software engineer right now.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:40 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,361 times
Back in the mid-1990's I almost went to DeVry College for a Comp Sci degree. And back then that kind of degree was in very high demand.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:45 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
It is still a great field. I work as a software engineer for a major corporation in a major city in the northeast. We posted a job for a one a month ago and only got 12 applicants, only two of which were remotely qualified for some pretty basic skills. It is tough to find a decent software engineer right now.
Comp Sci programs don't prepare students for software engineering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities