Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,991 times

Advertisements

So, I'm a Swedish student considering to study in the US.
I've heard a lot about applying to a college (city college, college, etc, I assume they're all the same), and after 1-2 years, transfering to a university to finish off whatever you're studying at the college.

Is it recommended, pros/cons?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 12:59 PM

378 posts, read 707,718 times
The terminology in the USA is different from in other countries. Going to "college" often means the same thing as going to "university".

What you are talking about is called a community college here. This approach makes sense if you didn't do great in high school and want a new academic record or if you can save money by attending CC for a year or two and then transferring.

Most CCs are commuter schools with little housing or on-campus social life. Most students will be local. Are you okay with that?

Edited

Here are three examples from my state:
University - http://www1.umn.edu/twincities/index.html
College (Liberal arts) - http://www.carleton.edu/
College (Community) - http://www.nhcc.edu/

Universities and liberal arts colleges can both be very selective and prestigious. They both grant bachelors degrees (the university also grants graduate degrees). Community colleges only grant associates degrees.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:07 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
As stated above, most community colleges don't have campus housing. I know a number of people (myself included) who did their first two years at a CC and then transferred to a four year institution. Do your homework in advance and make sure that whatever university you want to attend will accept your credits from the community college. You will find that a lot of community colleges have transfer agreements with the local four year colleges.

Community college is generally a whole lot cheaper.

If you attend a CC and want an active social life, you are probably going to have to find it on your own as most CCs don't have the campus/social activities that four year colleges do.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 View Post
The terminology in the USA is different from in other countries. Going to "college" often means the same thing as going to "university".

What you are talking about is called a community college here. This approach makes sense if you didn't do great in high school and want a new academic record or if you can save money by attending CC for a year or two and then transferring.

Most CCs are commuter schools with little housing or on-campus social life. Most students will be local. Are you okay with that?

Edited

Here are three examples from my state:
University - Twin Cities - University of Minnesota
College (Liberal arts) - Carleton College: A Private Liberal Arts College in Northfield, Minnesota
College (Community) - NHCC | North Hennepin Community College

Universities and liberal arts colleges can both be very selective and prestigious. They both grant bachelors degrees (the university also grants graduate degrees). Community colleges only grant associates degrees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
As stated above, most community colleges don't have campus housing. I know a number of people (myself included) who did their first two years at a CC and then transferred to a four year institution. Do your homework in advance and make sure that whatever university you want to attend will accept your credits from the community college. You will find that a lot of community colleges have transfer agreements with the local four year colleges.

Community college is generally a whole lot cheaper.

If you attend a CC and want an active social life, you are probably going to have to find it on your own as most CCs don't have the campus/social activities that four year colleges do.
Yes, but colleges kind of only let you get "so far", I mean, to get a Master, you need to go to a university.

So what I got from this is, correct me if I'm wrong:

Pros of CC:
Cheaper
Easier to be admitted

Cons:
Housing
Social life

Would you say that it's better to go straight to a "University", if the money isn't an issue?
I did pretty well in high school, but you can't really compare it to the local student, two completely different admission systems, so I can't be sure about that part.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:24 PM

191 posts, read 946,383 times
If money isn't an issue, yes go straight to a college/university and skip a community college.

By the way in America the term "college" and "university" are synonymous. They are 4 year schools. Yes, to get a masters you need a bachelors which you can only get from a 4 year college.

Community colleges are like junior colleges that are usually only 2 years in length. You can get associate degrees or certifications from them and then transfer to a 4 year college/university.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalloniKanada View Post
Yes, but colleges kind of only let you get "so far", I mean, to get a Master, you need to go to a university.

So what I got from this is, correct me if I'm wrong:

Pros of CC:
Cheaper
Easier to be admitted

Cons:
Housing
Social life

Would you say that it's better to go straight to a "University", if the money isn't an issue?
I did pretty well in high school, but you can't really compare it to the local student, two completely different admission systems, so I can't be sure about that part.
Your pros and cons are correct.

I personally study at a university. I think the larger size and bigger research presence are nice. But liberal arts colleges can be very good too. Graduate programs almost always require a separate application process, so it doesn't matter whether your school has one from that perspective.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:22 AM

87 posts, read 136,630 times
Adding to the list of pros and cons for a junior college-

Pros-
1. More night classes than other universities and more schedule options for the student who plans on working full or part-time while attending school

2. Smaller class sizes compared to universities. This could be a pro or con depending on how you feel about the class size.

Cons-
1. Limited curriculum; typically, community colleges are 2-year schools. If you plan on obtaining a 4-year degree you will have to transfer to university at some point.

I would say if money were not the issue, you should apply directly to a university. You are likely to get better scholarships and your four year degree will open up more doors for good paying jobs.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:51 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,090 times
There are some great community colleges out there. That said, I think the only real reasons to take the go-2-years-and-transfer route are:

1. need to save money
2. grades not strong/not a solid HS student, need more time to hit your academic stride
3. want/have to work while in school, need night classes, etc
4. didn't get into the 4 year of your choice, so you go to a community college that has an articulation agreement with the school you want and make plans to transfer later.
5. pursuing a degree where you only need an associates, like say nursing.

That's about it IMO. If none of the above apply to you then I think going straight into a 4 year school is better. You'll have more time to build good relationships with your professors and your peers, plus 4 years schools are generally more prestigious. And don't underestimate the value of being toally immersed in the college experience (living with the people you go to school with, student government, student after hours programs, etc). So much of the life learning at college goes on informally outside the classroom that it is not even funny.

Good luck!

Old 08-21-2011, 05:58 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,629,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalloniKanada View Post
Not quite.

At Harvard College (it's true name), you can acheive a Doctorate.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Not quite.

At Harvard College (it's true name), you can acheive a Doctorate.
No. Harvard College is one of eleven academic units at Harvard University. It is undergrad only. Graduate programs are in other units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities