Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 PM

13 posts, read 201,222 times

Advertisements

I have been doing Construction for over 10 years mostly kitchen and bath remodels and commercial build outs. As of late I can't make enough to pay my mortgage and I am making myself sick trying to figure out what to do. I am 32 with a small family and I don't know what to do I want a career that will pay me enough and have stability. I'm wondering if it's worth getting an AS degree in Construction Management or should I abandon Construction altogether. I love what I do I just want to work all year and have benefits, 401k! Is an AS in Construction Management enough to get me out of the laborer pool or is it a waste of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 07:39 PM

98 posts, read 370,664 times
What will a degree in construction do for you when you have already been doing it for ten years, especially an AS degree. Now I could see if you got a bachelor in civil engineering.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:35 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,133,254 times
My guess is it wouldn't be worth it because you have some great experience under your belt already. That is to be commended. However, you can use that experience to transition to something within the field that will allow you to work year around. You can do something with perhaps a business degree and manage the operations and not have to worry about the hands on work as much but it will take other skills such as managing people, dealing with personnel issues, buying and ordering materials, etc.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:52 PM

See I was under the impression that the AS degree would lead to supervisor/project manager position/building inspector etc.. The other thing my wife keeps saying is since I already am familiar with construction and live in Florida maybe getting the 2 yr HVAC would secure my future. I'm going nuts trying to figure out what to do the other day I almost sign up to a commercial diving school! I have had my own business for 6 yes so I am skilled in bid,sales,customer service, and materials. I'm a good find for a larger company I just have to get a foot in the door. That's w hat I thought the AS would do?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:22 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,060,775 times
I think it is a decent degree, especially if you go on to a BS. A friend of mine works in the HR department for a large concrete company, and he has been continuously hiring new graduates who have a BS in construction management.

However, if you don't want to do 4 years, I'm not sure how great the degree would be. Not saying it would be a bad choice, I just don't know.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:33 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,945,434 times
10 yrs experience and running your own business 6 yrs is also a plus. Question I would have is were you a self employed independent person or did you have employees working for you. That would be the major factor when trying to get a connection with a larger firm. They would be looking at your ability to oversee workers and be able to control all aspects of a construction job larger then a small bath room etc.

MGMT is just that MGMT...either as owner...supervisor...foreman...you get the picture?

Construction MGMT would curtail a lot more experience then what you have shown in your post.

My oldest boy had his own Electrical contracting business with 9 trucks and many employees...sold out to a large firm who made him a Supertendent on a large project they were working on. Experience on all ends made the difference.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:44 PM

I'm always managing people and organizing work whether subs I may use on some residential to around 40 guys on my commercial projects. Thats what I like most is putting the bids together, selling the jobs, and making sure it gets done right. In the begining I did everything myself as I got bigger i had to deligate.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:46 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,184,979 times
Construction Technology is probably better. But, I think you would want a BS instead of an AS.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:51 PM

construction technology as in drafting and design

Old 01-14-2011, 10:12 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,276,971 times
One of my friends works as the onsite manager for an international company that oversees large construction projects in the US, airports, hospitals and such. She has an MBA. Previously she worked for her husbands construction company controlling accounts and budgets.

There are field management positions and overall project management positions. I'll send you a link to one company I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities