Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 06:49 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,562,327 times

Advertisements

Learn to do something useful. You will then be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 10:03 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,491,623 times
Not very probable and getting less so every year.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:08 PM

80 posts, read 400,964 times
police officer + overtime=50K easy.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:47 PM

867 posts, read 2,985,899 times
Are you people kidding me?

Being prior-military, I know (many) military contractors in Iraq, Afghanistan and a vast number of US military installations world-wide (take Camp As Sayliyah in Qatar for instance http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...s-sayliyah.htm ) that make the kind of money most people on this forum can only dream of making. Most of whom do not have any post-secondary education, though it doesn't hurt, of course. The pool of applicants is significantly smaller (people who hold security clearances and military training and usually do not have a family) and there are additional hazards/BS to put up with (danger, being away from home, etc). It's still a handsomely paid gig, though.

Someone mentioned police officer, too. One of my best buddies from the Army is a Veterans Administration cop, and pulls in $67K a year. No degree. His main qualification was being an MP in the Army. My girlfriends dad is a police Sergeant in Austin and makes even more than that. Yes, to get promoted in LE, a degree helps and from what I understand is essentially required to Lieutenant, but the GI Bill for Veterans essentially eliminates the cost issue. There are what? Upwards of 600,000 cops in the US? So police officer isn't a "rare" job. You just have to deal with the BS.

The average US service-member (let's say E-5 or above) with entitlements/BAH, free health care, EASILY makes what would amount to 50K+ a year.
When I was in the Army, stationed at Ft. Benning, GA (got out in 2007), they were renovating our barracks so the post commander, Major General Ben Freakley at the time, had the outstanding idea of putting single Soldiers in on-post housing. I was 20/21 at the time and living in a 3 bedroom house on an Army base with one of my best friends. For free.

Deployed military Officers (Captain, Major and up) with benefits and tax-free income can easily make 100K+ a year. Not bad for someone with just a Bachelor's.

But yes, a college education, in addition to the above, for some overseas positions, is required (i.e. intel, UAV pilots, etc).

I'm NOT saying DON'T get a degree (I attend a traditional state 4-year, myself), but just saying, in some circles, experience trumps education, big time. I would be difficult, but not totally impossible.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 12-19-2010 at 05:24 PM..

Old 12-20-2010, 05:09 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,486,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Gatsby View Post
police officer + overtime=50K easy.
Around here you need at least a 2 year degree to be a police officer.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:48 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,500,543 times
Here in Chicago you either need a two year degree or military experience.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:02 PM

3,491 posts, read 7,001,263 times
here in Texas you can make a good salary in the oil field with a high school education.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:11 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,836,117 times
Civil servant?
Pro Athlete?
Actor?
Pole Dancer?
Recreational chemist?

Do you have any of those skills?

Old 12-30-2010, 01:13 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,891,633 times
You get skills that employers are willing to pay for.

At the end of the day the employer simply wants someone who is going to get the job done, degree or no degree.

If I need a php coder all I care about is: 1) can you get the job done to my expectations and 2) how much?

Sorry, I am not going to pay a premium just because you have a little degree from some overpriced school.

Plus theres always self-employed. Stop making other people rich (working for them) and make yourself rich. Only way you do that is to create a solid product and sell it to consumers. Only work for others as last option (ie. you HAVE to).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities