Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 03:25 PM

38,933 posts, read 24,017,207 times

Advertisements

It may help with oil, coal and natural gas companies with finding new locations to drill and mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 06:51 PM

16,413 posts, read 30,418,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
Are people scrambling to find geologists and other earth science majors? I really like what I've learned about earth sciences in school so far. I was hoping I'd be a be able to find something besides stuck on an oil rig.. how about research?

What are some good schools (that I could actually stand a chance of getting into) for earth science? What are the top fields now? (ex. marine & oceanography, meteorology, geology, environmental..)

Also I have never considered this until reading a thread on here, but are any schools worth traveling to outside of the US for earth science?
Where are you located at?

have you considered visiting your local university and actually meeting with some of the professors?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:13 PM

102,346 posts, read 108,608,428 times
Geology could work out well if you could get on with an oil company. Especially with fracking gaining ground. A background in engineering wouldn't hurt, either.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:09 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,601,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
What are geo/physical science careers looking like these days? I understand more and more places are "going green" and the climate is becoming more active. Does this make this a booming field now? How is pay? Is the research tedious/boring?

Are people scrambling to find geologists and other earth science majors? I really like what I've learned about earth sciences in school so far. I was hoping I'd be a be able to find something besides stuck on an oil rig.. how about research?

What are some good schools (that I could actually stand a chance of getting into) for earth science? What are the top fields now? (ex. marine & oceanography, meteorology, geology, environmental..)

Also I have never considered this until reading a thread on here, but are any schools worth traveling to outside of the US for earth science?
I only know one person in that field. She just finished a graduate degree and she had her pick of jobs and lots of money. But she works in the oil industry - the opposite of green.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:21 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,171,444 times
Petroleum is a difficult field to get into. I work in Environmental Engineering so I've known, oh about 100+ geologists over the course of my career.

If some of them could have landed jobs making six figures with Chevron, you bet they would have taken it no matter where it was. As someone before mentioned, they recruit from specific programs.

Natural gas is a completely different thing and you're going to have to wrestle with morality issues if you get into that field.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,128 times
Am confused I am graduating this spring with a geoscience degree plus am black. Wonder if my efforts will pay off in getting a job?

Old 01-17-2014, 01:34 PM

158 posts, read 334,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I only know one person in that field. She just finished a graduate degree and she had her pick of jobs and lots of money. But she works in the oil industry - the opposite of green.
The oil industry doesn't sound like the opposite of green if you were to ask me .

Old 01-21-2014, 08:26 PM

144 posts, read 265,019 times
From what I've read here Geology sounds like an interesting field to go into. The school I'm transferring to doesn't offer Geology, but does have Geography, GIS, and Earth Science degrees. I'm a bit late in the education game and at this point would like to study something practical that might yield a decent salary as opposed to doing the "do what you love" thing. Do any of these require the same hard science/math background as other more popular (& competitive) STEM fields? And can I expect to earn an income in the field with just a bachelors?

Old 01-22-2014, 03:22 AM

10,929 posts, read 11,773,402 times
If you combine geology with engineering, you will do fine. The sub-fields of mining engineering fluctuate with the market and with lags. Mineral and petroleum resources are becoming physically scarcer and production efficiency in their extraction and use is increasing to keep pace with physical scarcity (economics).

Just make sure you concentrate in exploration and development.

Geology actually crosses a number of engineering fields, hydrology being another interesting one - both surface and groundwater.

Good luck.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou347 View Post
I don't know about geology specifically.

My advice is to stay the heck away from science degrees. You can expect 4 to 6 years, if you get an MS, of some of the most difficult academic training and long hours in the lab and when you graduate companies will pay you $15 to $20 with no benefits. I doubt geology is that much better than biology or chemistry. I'd say a science degree is worthless, but given the tuition money and lost income while you are a student, It would be more accurate to say it is far less than worthless.
This person does not know what they're talking about. Me: bachelors and masters in geology from a large, non-oil patch school. Worked 15 years for a major oil company. Downsized in early 1990's when oil prices tanked. Spent 19 years as a sales rep for a pharmaceutical company. Kept up contacts in oil. Retired from pharma in 2013. Got back into oil as a well site geologist on an offshore oil rig in Gulf of Mexico. Work 21 days on / 21 days off. Make well over $1000 per day. Do the math. And loads of jobs that are not rig-related if you are not averse to moving to Houston. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities