Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:32 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,033,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
I'm pro playoff, but Tejas and Bama both drill Boise.
I don't know who would win the game but Boise State would win the fake punt contest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 10:42 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,020,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I brought it up because I got text from an OU fan last night.

I don't care about Oklahoma, but it seems like they're more obsesed with us losing than anything. Well, certain fans, not all.

Besides, read what I typed. It's more of a shot at fans whos own teams can't win, so when their rival loses, they completly forget about what happened to them and act like they were the ones who beat you...

Oklahoma should be cheering against Texas. That's what you do to your rival.

I am a KU fan and if MU were playing, I would of been cheering against them.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:47 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,960,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Oklahoma should be cheering against Texas. That's what you do to your rival.

I am a KU fan and if MU were playing, I would of been cheering against them.
Well of course, but it just seems like alot of OU fans are more obsesed with Texas losing than winning themselves.

Seriously, their hand guesture is the horns down sign and even when they play someone else, they're always chanting "beat Texas"....... that says something.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:09 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,232,906 times
I figured Bama would just steam roll Texas, but it turned out to be a pretty good game. To me though (and alot of other southerners I bet), the real championship was when Bama beat Florida's butt. HAHA ROLL TIDE!!!

Old 01-08-2010, 11:49 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,051,330 times
I was rooting for UT and was certainly heartbroken when McCoy was injured. I knew it was over when that happened. Alabama may have won anyway but it would have been a better game and the score probably would've been a lot closer with the starting QB. I do however think Gilbert did a good job under the circumstances but like somone said above, Alabama's running game just couldn't be stopped.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:16 PM

634 posts, read 1,450,827 times
I was indifferent to the outcome of the game, even so I would never wish injury upon any player. Ever. Those young men put their bodies on the line every weekend (granted it's mostly for professional prospects), but they do it. Even if McCoy could have played Mack Brown appeared ready to overrule him. I believe McCoy is touted as a late third round pick (not sure of this) and had he exacerbated his injury would have stood to dampen his draft prospects that much more. I have no doubt that McCoy loves the Longhorn faithful and would have loved to have won a national championship in light of the fact that he never came away with the Heisman. But it wasn't meant to be. He has a chance at an NFL career and THAT, more than anything, should be his priority. I keep reading all of these posts about how this was "the Longhorns' year" and this was a lost opportunity and all I can think is, "Since when was anything in sports ever guaranteed?" If it were I would never watch.

On a tactical level:

I thought the Longhorn defense showed a lot to build on but there was definitely something to the fact that they're lacking in their ability to defend against a shifty, powerful runner like Ingram. The D put excellent pressure on McElroy (sp?) and made him a non-issue in the game, but that was essentially for naught as Ingram and Richardson were able to cut through that defense like a hot knife through butter. Next season Muschamp would probably do well to put a little more time in defending the run, regardless of whether or not other Big 12 teams have rushing attacks. I'm a big believer in a holistic approach, but then again he's making the $975K a year, not me.

Greg Davis . . . I've never really figured out where I stand on him. He was certainly able to exploit the synergy (for lack of a better word) that McCoy and Shipley had with one another, but the fact that Texas had NO run offense was revealed last night. At first, Gilbert couldn't find his bearings and before he could get a little more comfortable with the pace of the game a solid rushing output might have given him a little space to feel his way out, settle down and wait for the passing game to open up. He made his freshman mistakes (staring down receivers, passes behind receivers, probably not comfortable making his progression), but he stood up to the pressure. I would love to believe that university programs can coach two and three deep at skill positions, but the game's apparently not set up that way. In the post-game conference Mack told the players that you just can't win games with that many turnovers. No truer words were spoken. That, more than the talent or inexperience of a young quarterback (even though those turnovers were logically attributed to him) is the tale of the tape.

More than anything I hope that Gilbert realizes that what happened last night says absolutely nothing about his abilities and that he probably has a bright future ahead of him on and off the field. Football is a game, not life. And people who say insensitive, blockhead things which forget that fact should probably turn the TV off every now and then, take a walk, and gain a little perspective.

Congratulations to the Crimson Tide on being crowned national champions. And congratulations to the Longhorns for making it as for as they did. I'm going to miss college football! But now it's time for the NFL playoffs!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,039,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
It's got nothing to do with envy tex. Just a simple observation from an impartial football fan.
If you read report for those there McCoy was thro0pwing in the locker room trying to get to play but physicain said no. mc Brown alos aaid no form these reports at halftime. i guess your typw would have loacked i him in a dark room instead of letting medical personnel examin and determine if he should be aloowed to play. maybe why itys getting to be a controversy on injuries and what the sport really is about these days;or if it is to remain a sport.That is the exact way boxing got to the state is is now because of fans blood lust and the indifference to the boxers.But I seem to remmber your rant on cowboys and the longhorns whcih shows other than a impartial fan theme. I also see many qusetioning the game and alabama's win;but the facts are they won and deserve the national title ;plain and simple.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:36 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,625,562 times
Quote:
I don't care about Oklahoma, but it seems like they're more obsesed with us losing than anything. Well, certain fans, not all.
I'll admit I love to see Texas lose. Not obsessed, I just like it.
Nothing wrong with rooting against your rivals. I also root against UF,LSU,OSU and alot of other teams. NBD.

You're crazy if you think any Horn fan ever pulls for OU. There are none that I know.

Quote:
Seriously, their hand guesture is the horns down sign and even when they play someone else, they're always chanting "beat Texas"....... that says something.
Anything "Beat Texas" and upside down horns sign outside of RRR week is Aggie IMO. Every fanbase has idjits, there were tons of less than classy UT fans at the Sun Bowl. My buddy got his car keyed with the words "**** OU" right above his OU alumni license plate. I know a crapload of OU fans and none would even fathom of doing that to someones vehicle.

Quote:
Besides, read what I typed. It's more of a shot at fans whos own teams can't win, so when their rival loses, they completly forget about what happened to them and act like they were the ones who beat you...
In Oklahoma we call them oSu fans.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:09 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,235,343 times
I can't understand how Oklahoma fans would root against Texas.

Texas comes out of the Big12 conference.

I can see rooting against them during the season, but if they are playing a SEC team for the championship, I presumed Oklahoma fans would be rooting for Texas.

But I'm not an Oklahoma fan and therefore don't understand their logic.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:19 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,960,686 times
nevergoingback and RjRobb2 are right in that you're NOT SUPPOSED TO ROOT FOR YOUR RIVAL!

What I have a problem with are the ones that act like their team just won it all and that they had a great season when they really didn't.

But really, I'm refering to this one girl from OKC who always.... ALWAYS jumps at the chance to trash Texas even when Oklahoma is losing. What's even worse is that she thinks I'm just a hardcore Longhonrs fan which I'm not.......
I live in Fort Worth and TCU is my team. But because I live in Texas and cheer for the Longhorns as well as the Horned Frogs (UT represents the STATE while my Honred Frogs represent my hometown), she thinks of me as a die hard Texas fan. It's just funny the way she acts, that's all....

And no, I don't pull for Oklahoma in anything. That's the way it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football