Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:33 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times

Advertisements

I know there are some texas and oklahoma fans out there. does this conference play any defense? why is every game 50-30? it's like every team in the conference has become texas tech, and texas tech struggles when they play a tough defense. I would love to watch a big XII team play a team with an incredible defense. I think a big XII team against an SEC team in the NC would be fun to watch. I guarantee you that they wouldn't put up 50 points against alabama's defense. how do you think a team like oklahoma, mizzou, texas, or texas tech would do in a slowed down ball control game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 12:05 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,929 times
OU has averaged 13.8 points allowed.
'Bama has averaged 13.5 points allowed.
So far I'd say thats pretty good.

The only place OU is hurting on defense is punt/kick coverage.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:19 PM

bama's average was hurt by giving up 30 to the #2 team in the country, and OU's average was helped by playing chattanooga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
OU has averaged 13.8 points allowed.
'Bama has averaged 13.5 points allowed.
So far I'd say thats pretty good.

The only place OU is hurting on defense is punt/kick coverage.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
bama's average was hurt by giving up 30 to the #2 team in the country, and OU's average was helped by playing chattanooga.
Yeah I see you're point. We will know more after Saturday, If we can hold Texas to 17 or less. That will pretty much sum it up that OU has a good defense.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:44 PM

I'm a gator fan, and I know the danger of having a high power offense and playing a team with a good defense all too well. we played a big 12 team in the NC (nebraska) and got killed. we were hanging 60 points on everyone that year. I just can't see a defense like alabama, auburn, LSU, or florida giving up 50. I actually don't even know how they are scoring 50 with the new clock rules. I agree. if they can hold texas to 17 that will say they have a good defense, but if they can only score 20 against texas, that will tell me that the offense can be stopped by a good defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Yeah I see you're point. We will know more after Saturday, If we can hold Texas to 17 or less. That will pretty much sum it up that OU has a good defense.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:58 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,726 times
Oklahoma is 11th in the country in total defense Texas is 27. I think with all the great QB's in the Big XII it shows up in the passing. I mean Texas has the 3rd best rush defense but we stink in pass D.

Also I don't think OU will hold us to less than 17 points, im thinking 30-40 points for both of us in this one.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:01 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Oklahoma is 11th in the country in total defense Texas is 27. I think with all the great QB's in the Big XII it shows up in the passing. I mean Texas has the 3rd best rush defense but we stink in pass D.

Also I don't think OU will hold us to less than 17 points, im thinking 30-40 points for both of us in this one.

It ought to be a GREAT game!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I'm a gator fan, and I know the danger of having a high power offense and playing a team with a good defense all too well. we played a big 12 team in the NC (nebraska) and got killed. we were hanging 60 points on everyone that year.

Ahh yes probably that '95 squad? Unreal regular season!!!
They had what I call the "stat of death." Just like '05 USC, and more than a few others.

It is my understanding that no team has won a true NC in a season where they allowed more than 21 points per game on average.

Including the championship game? I am not sure. I think the stat includes the NC game.

Those great '95 gators allowed somewhere in the realm of 23 per game.

The '05 USC squad was somewhere around 22, Texas was around 14, Texas won.

The '04 USC squad was right around 18, while the '04 Sooners were around 14, a little better except they got SPANKED.

So allowing less points than your opponent isn't key, history tells us that allowing less than 21 is ALOT more important.

This is why I'm hoping we can hold Texas to 17 on Saturday..... Really though if we allow 42 in a win.... I'm content.

BTW if my data is incorrect or someone can find team that has, I would love to know.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 10-07-2008 at 08:30 PM..

Old 10-08-2008, 05:44 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,121 times
Quote:
I know there are some texas and oklahoma fans out there. does this conference play any defense? why is every game 50-30? it's like every team in the conference has become texas tech, and texas tech struggles when they play a tough defense. I would love to watch a big XII team play a team with an incredible defense. I think a big XII team against an SEC team in the NC would be fun to watch. I guarantee you that they wouldn't put up 50 points against alabama's defense. how do you think a team like oklahoma, mizzou, texas, or texas tech would do in a slowed down ball control game?
It was fun to watch! Just not a NCG...Mizzou 38 Arkansas 7. They SEC really shut down the Big 12 that day!

Old 10-08-2008, 06:06 PM

arkansas blows. they are 2-3 right now. they had 2 good running backs, but not an elite defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
It was fun to watch! Just not a NCG...Mizzou 38 Arkansas 7. They SEC really shut down the Big 12 that day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football