Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2023, 04:02 PM

4,876 posts, read 6,939,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Looks like Alabama was able to dodge a bullet - final score 24-21 over Arkansas, who are now 2-5

Buckeyes beating Purdue 34 - 7 with 9 minutes to go

Georgia is ahead 37 - 20 over Vanderbilt with 2 minutes to go. Surprised that it's that close

Michigan beating Illinois 52 - 7 with 2 minutes to go. I got all excited early on when Illinois scored first. But it didn't last long.

Washington vs Oregon coming up.
Hell of a game at halftime with Washington up 22 - 18. I think this one will go down to the wire.

Rooting for Washington. Head coach DeBoer and two of his top assistants (Morrell and Grub) all pretty much got their start coaching at U. of Sioux Falls where they won two national NAIA championships. DeBoer and Morrell are originally from SD while Grub was from a tiny school just across the border in Iowa. Love it when small town kids work there way up towards the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2023, 10:08 PM

3,839 posts, read 4,449,248 times
So USC loses today. Caleb couldnt bail them out this time.
What I'm about to say will probably terrify Trojan fans, but if I'm Caleb Williams I'm thinking long and hard about whether to shut it down for the season or not. USC was borderline as to whether they make the playoffs before the loss. This pretty much seals it, barring some meltdowns by Georgia/Ohio State/etc.

Williams already has a Heisman. Now zero chance of checking off the only other box that would be relevant to him: winning a national championship. He's a lock to go number one in the draft no matter what USC does on the field. All he can do now is jeopardize that by possibly getting hurt playing what is essentially meaningless college football from here on out. Again, I know Trojan fans will not like to hear this, but he HAS to think about his future now.

Old 10-15-2023, 12:23 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,592,374 times
Here's Kirk Hebstreit's picks

My top 4 after WEEK 7
1-@UMichFootball
2-@GeorgiaFootball
3-@UW_Football
4-@FSUFootball
Next 2
@OU_Football
@OhioStateFB

The Buckeye's have a couple of chances to move up, or to drop out of sight, before the season is over.

Old 10-15-2023, 03:45 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,386,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
What I'm about to say will probably terrify Trojan fans, but if I'm Caleb Williams I'm thinking long and hard about whether to shut it down for the season or not. USC was borderline as to whether they make the playoffs before the loss. This pretty much seals it, barring some meltdowns by Georgia/Ohio State/etc.

Williams already has a Heisman. Now zero chance of checking off the only other box that would be relevant to him: winning a national championship. He's a lock to go number one in the draft no matter what USC does on the field. All he can do now is jeopardize that by possibly getting hurt playing what is essentially meaningless college football from here on out. Again, I know Trojan fans will not like to hear this, but he HAS to think about his future now.
Their best win is a 2-point win over Arizona at home. Yikes.

Old 10-15-2023, 03:49 PM

Quote:

It's not meaningless. It's meaningless to you. Thousands of other college football players find meaning in playing college football without winning or even seriously competing for a national championship.

Old 10-15-2023, 04:22 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,487,391 times
Week 8 schedule:

Western Kentucky (4-2, 2-0) @ Jacksonville State (5-2, 3-2) (Tuesday, 7:30).
Florida International (3-4, 0-4) @ Sam Houston State (0-6, 0-3) (Wednesday 7).
New Mexico State (4-3, 2-1) @ UTEP (2-5, 1-2) (Wednesday 9).
Rice (3-3, 1-1) @ Tulsa (3-3, 1-1) (Thursday, 7).
James Madison (6-0, 3-0) @ Marshall (4-2, 1-1) (Thursday, 7).
Penn State (6-0, 3-0) @ Ohio State (6-0, 3-0) 12.
Rutgers (5-2, 2-2) @ Indiana (2-4, 0-3) 12.
Boston College (3-3, 1-2) @ Georgia Tech (3-3, 2-1) 12.
Baylor (2-4, 1-2) @ Cincinnati (2-4, 0-3) 12.
Charlotte (1-5, 0-2) @ East Carolina (1-5, 0-2) 2.
Tennessee (5-1, 2-1) @ Alabama (6-1, 4-0) 3:30.
South Florida (3-4) @ UConn (1-5) 3:30
Pittsburgh (2-4, 1-2) @ Wake Forest (2-4, 0-3) 3:30.
Oklahoma State (4-2, 2-1) @ West Virginia (4-2, 2-1) 3:30.
Toledo (6-1, 3-0) @ Miami (OH) (6-1, 3-0) 4.
UTSA (3-3, 2-0) @ Florida Atlantic (3-3, 2-0) 6.
Hawaii (2-5, 0-2) @ New Mexico (2-4, 0-2) 6.
Texas Tech (3-4, 2-2) @ BYU (4-2, 1-2) 7.
TCU (4-3, 2-2) @ Kansas State (4-2, 2-1) 7.
Utah (5-1, 2-1) @ USC (6-1, 4-0) 8.
Clemson (4-2, 2-2) @ Miami (FL) (4-2, 0-2) 8.
Georgia State (5-1, 2-1) @ Louisiana (4-2, 1-1) 8.

Old 10-15-2023, 09:58 PM

3,839 posts, read 4,449,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
It's not meaningless. It's meaningless to you. Thousands of other college football players find meaning in playing college football without winning or even seriously competing for a national championship.
Do those thousands of players have the possibility of being drafted number one? If they did, I promise you they would be having similar thoughts. This is going to make some fans heads explode, but for a large chunk of the elite college athletes, winning championships for a college is NOT the ultimate goal. The goal is to make it to the pros (NFL, NBA, MLB etc) and secure financial security for their families. So if that player had to choose between the keeping safe for the draft and possibly losing it all by playing and getting injured, guess what they are going to do? The college and those same fans will move on to the next hot high school recruit.

Old 10-15-2023, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Do those thousands of players have the possibility of being drafted number one? If they did, I promise you they would be having similar thoughts. This is going to make some fans heads explode, but for a large chunk of the elite college athletes, winning championships for a college is NOT the ultimate goal. The goal is to make it to the pros (NFL, NBA, MLB etc) and secure financial security for their families. So if that player had to choose between the keeping safe for the draft and possibly losing it all by playing and getting injured, guess what they are going to do? The college and those same fans will move on to the next hot high school recruit.
You're not making any sense. You're drawing arbitrary lines without rhyme or reason. Why should they go to college at all?

Also, you're wrong about goals and motivations. Everyone is different. EVERY PLAYER wants to secure financial security for his famiy? NO!!!!!!!!!!

Akili Smith and Jamarcus Russell wanted to PARTY.

Some players like playing college even AFTER they've maximized their draft potential. I can think of a number of players at Clemson and Florida State who fit the bill.

Old 10-16-2023, 06:05 AM

4,003 posts, read 2,368,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6T1R View Post
If you want money in the bank, take Coach Franklin and the Pennsylvania State Nittany Lions AND the points!

Coach doesn’t **** around with spreads. He makes sure he makes a statement.

Ohio St fans - you’re next. be scared.
No doubt! I was scared to touch that 41.5 but damned if they didn't cover. I am curious about the spread against OSU. Early spread is OSU -4.5.

Last edited by quiet life; 10-16-2023 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: opening line

Old 10-16-2023, 06:14 AM

4,003 posts, read 2,368,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Hell of a game at halftime with Washington up 22 - 18. I think this one will go down to the wire.

Rooting for Washington. Head coach DeBoer and two of his top assistants (Morrell and Grub) all pretty much got their start coaching at U. of Sioux Falls where they won two national NAIA championships. DeBoer and Morrell are originally from SD while Grub was from a tiny school just across the border in Iowa. Love it when small town kids work there way up towards the top.
This was must see tv. Great game that went down to the wire. U-dub has a good squad. This should put Penix in the front seat for the Heisman. Especially if they can win out that whole Pac-12. Wouldn't that be something for a Pac-12 champ in the CFP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football