Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2023, 01:28 PM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
NFL TV markets =/= College TV markets

when it comes to college football, even when Alabama isnt playing, Birmingham, Alabama is a bigger market than New York City.

This also means, North Carolina has 3 of the top 10 markets
This. So true. Markets are not all alike. The entire southeast is among the worst for pro football markets because it is college football land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2023, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
"if" is the key part of your post. We are talking about currently.

And currently, everyone below #50 in revenue football revenue is outside the SEC and Big 10 and neither conference seems to care about adding the lower schools.
You're right. Geography no longer matters. Who is in who's conference no longer matters. It is about television and broadcasting $.

A problem with going to 18-20 team conferences is, not all teams can play each other. You can't have a 17 game schedule like the pros. Then people are going to complain, well Team X missed out on playing the best team in the conference, Team Y, so they shouldn't be in the Playoff... which leads me to say, conference schedule is going to have to expand beyond eight or nine games. I easily see 10-game conference schedules with all this reshuffling. I hate it because it is going to kill rivalries, which are a true basis of college football.

Old 08-05-2023, 01:53 PM

1,118 posts, read 516,020 times
Freaking congratulations to Oregon and Washington, though. Welcome to the elite. The Big Ten Conference.

As a loud and proud Penn St alumni, booster and very large and wealthy doner, I helped push for this move and am both very happy and proud to welcome them aboard. Now that I have that out of the way - good luck when you face PSU. You’re going to need it.

Old 08-05-2023, 11:46 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
I grew up next to the Ohio State campus. The Big Ten is a Midwestern conference and Rutgers & Penn State joining was a downgrade. But really, the beginning of the end was when the Rose Bowl stopped being the Big Ten vs Pac-12.

Old 08-06-2023, 04:47 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
How do Oregon State, Washington State, Stanford, and Cal go forward after this? They don’t have any leverage to do anything at this point. Any Mountain West team is going to look at that group of 4 and laugh. Why would San Diego State, Fresno State, SMU, Boise State, etc… leave the Mountain West for that hot mess? Those four are going to have to dissolve the PAC and join up with the MTW. I could see Stanford and Cal going independent before they do that.

As a West Virginia fan, I absolutely feel bad for OSU and WSU.

Old 08-06-2023, 06:12 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
How do Oregon State, Washington State, Stanford, and Cal go forward after this? They don’t have any leverage to do anything at this point. Any Mountain West team is going to look at that group of 4 and laugh. Why would San Diego State, Fresno State, SMU, Boise State, etc… leave the Mountain West for that hot mess? Those four are going to have to dissolve the PAC and join up with the MTW. I could see Stanford and Cal going independent before they do that.

That chatter I am hearing on Stanford sports boards is a hope that the B10 takes them and probably Cal. Other is Stanford goes independent. They schedule 8 or 9 former Pac-12 teams and then 3-4 other games like they would while they were in the Pac-12. They could get some sort of TV deal like Notre Dame. Not as lucrative. But I don't think TV money is that important to them.

Cal, who knows. These are both prestigious universities one or both might opt to be more like the Ivy League schools and not worry about football and basketball that much or drop football entirely. I have read Stanford does not like the transfer portal. They want their grads to be 4 year Stanford students. That puts them at a big disadvantage nowadays.

OSU and WSU probably go to the Mt West.

Old 08-06-2023, 07:48 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
How do Oregon State, Washington State, Stanford, and Cal go forward after this? They don’t have any leverage to do anything at this point. Any Mountain West team is going to look at that group of 4 and laugh. Why would San Diego State, Fresno State, SMU, Boise State, etc… leave the Mountain West for that hot mess? Those four are going to have to dissolve the PAC and join upnew supee with the MTW. I could see Stanford and Cal going independent before they do that.

I think all four will wind up in the Mountain West which will be stronger with Stanford and Cal and benefit them too versus going it alone as independents. It also opens the door maybe next year for North Dakota State to move up into the MWC. Strengthening the MWC will take some edge off these new super conferences along with the refreshed AAC and Sun Belt, plus of course the ACC if they can hold it together.

Old 08-06-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:

No MWC school will leave. The exit fees are too much.

If you are WSU or OR State, why would you go down to the MWC from a P5 level? I don't see that happening. Clearly, realignment is no longer about geography. Also, the tv deals for the MWC is miniscule compared to what both these schools need to operate their athletic programs. Why would they join the MWC when it will not help financially?

If the ACC is still looking to add, it could go after them. Or the B12 could pick them up. Otherwise, I am not sure.

Old 08-06-2023, 09:01 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
You're right. Geography no longer matters. Who is in who's conference no longer matters. It is about television and broadcasting $.

A problem with going to 18-20 team conferences is, not all teams can play each other. You can't have a 17 game schedule like the pros. Then people are going to complain, well Team X missed out on playing the best team in the conference, Team Y, so they shouldn't be in the Playoff... which leads me to say, conference schedule is going to have to expand beyond eight or nine games. I easily see 10-game conference schedules with all this reshuffling. I hate it because it is going to kill rivalries, which are a true basis of college football.
They may not have been playing each other at all when they were in different conferences. At least if they are in the same conference they will play each other occasionally.

Old 08-06-2023, 09:37 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times
https://sports.yahoo.com/utah-arizon...005449651.html

Three more Pac-12 schools are on the move to the Big 12. The Big 12 announced late Friday that it has added Arizona, Arizona State and Utah to the conference, effective in 2024. With the three additions, the Big 12 would grow to 16 members for 2024. Colorado previously departed the Pac-12 for the Big 12 last week and the conference added BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF after Oklahoma and Texas departed for the SEC. "We are thrilled to welcome Arizona, Arizona State and Utah to the Big 12,” Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark said. “The conference is gaining three premier institutions both academically and athletically, and the entire Big 12 looks forward to working alongside their presidents, athletic directors, student-athletes and administrators."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football