Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 05:58 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Colorado ditching the Pac-12 is squarely on George Kliavkoff. The conference has been throwing out BS about new media rights for months, and Kliavkoff has had to move the goalposts multiple times. The bottom line is what the Pac-12 thinks its conference is worth and what the media thinks it's worth are two very different numbers. I fully expect Arizona, ASU, Washington, and Oregon to bolt the conference, too.
Maybe onto something.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...%20members.%22

"Arizona is the most likely Pac-12 candidate to join Colorado in the Big 12, sources said. Arizona State, Utah, Oregon and Washington also are possibilities from the Pac-12. If the Big 12 gets to 14 or 16 members for the 2024 season by adding Pac-12 schools, it would not add any other members."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 02:11 PM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Maybe onto something.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...%20members.%22

"Arizona is the most likely Pac-12 candidate to join Colorado in the Big 12, sources said. Arizona State, Utah, Oregon and Washington also are possibilities from the Pac-12. If the Big 12 gets to 14 or 16 members for the 2024 season by adding Pac-12 schools, it would not add any other members."
Sounds like another race to me! Haha. Who will leave next and how fast?

Old 08-01-2023, 09:25 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Sounds like another race to me! Haha. Who will leave next and how fast?
Many of them should probably send an application to the Big 12 ASAP. I heard someone mention Oregon st and Washington ST going to the ACC if Clemson and FSU leave....

Old 08-02-2023, 05:31 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
agree 100%

I used to enjoy the game of college football when the ALMA MATER was a 1-AA school and hanging out with friends on Saturday afternoons at the stadium was fun and part of college life. No one cared as much if the team won or not, but it was about the college atmosphere. All students got in free.

Something that CANNOT be replicated on TV And is going away with conference realignments and corporate sponsorship not to mention paid players, and worse of all, the focus with money and recruiting limited to a few programs, with 120 other colleges being ignored or treated as "also rans"

The IVY league does a lot of right. Academics first and sports later is one. Avoiding bowls and payout programs helps too.

This is why I follow MAC Games and ften watch Games with the sound off. IF I am watching Akron vs Toledo I want to watch that game, not hear 2 hours of talk about Alabama or Michigan and not be inundated with ads for playoffs and bowls.
I couldn't agree more about that part.

Old 08-02-2023, 05:41 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Both Cal and Stanford make bank when it comes to those sports though, there overall revenue is offset by stadium renovations (cost more to retrofit a stadium in California than in texas). If Cal can get its stadium deal situated, it becomes one of the 15 most profitable college football teams even with those losing seasons. Its 31 overall for the athletic department, putting it ahead of every Big 12 team, and every Pac 12 remaining team except Oregon and Washington
Is it true that Cal's stadium has a fault line running through it? Talk about expensive to fix!

Old 08-03-2023, 05:55 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Big money destroyed the bowl system; now they're destroying the conference alignments. Seriously, they need to move college football completely out of the college sports conferences. Let the other sports remain in their traditional geographical rivalries. The excessive travel makes no sense.

Old 08-04-2023, 08:10 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Arizona is going to the Big 12.

Still nothing official from Arizona State or Utah. Both have been sitting on their hands and hoping for a miracle during this whole process. The Pac 12 is dead, time to get out while you have a life preserver.

I feel bad for Oregon State and Washington State. Those two do not have options, and will get stuck in the Mountain West.

Old 08-04-2023, 08:43 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Arizona is going to the Big 12.

Still nothing official from Arizona State or Utah. Both have been sitting on their hands and hoping for a miracle during this whole process. The Pac 12 is dead, time to get out while you have a life preserver.

I feel bad for Oregon State and Washington State. Those two do not have options, and will get stuck in the Mountain West.
I agree. Good chance Utah and AZ State follow.

B1G "serious" talks with Washington and Oregon don't look good for PAC-12 either. Probably only a matter of time before those schools leave too.

OR State and WA State could also somehow find their way to the ACC. They have 14 members and maybe add two more. FL State is not happy and could leave for the SEC. If that happens then I bet Clemson also makes its move there too.

SEC: 14 + FL State + Clemson = 16
B1G: 14 + USC + UCLA = 16 + Washington + Oregon = 18??
ACC: 14 + OR State + WA State - FL State - Clemson = 14?

Old 08-04-2023, 10:33 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I agree. Good chance Utah and AZ State follow.

B1G "serious" talks with Washington and Oregon don't look good for PAC-12 either. Probably only a matter of time before those schools leave too.

OR State and WA State could also somehow find their way to the ACC. They have 14 members and maybe add two more. FL State is not happy and could leave for the SEC. If that happens then I bet Clemson also makes its move there too.

SEC: 14 + FL State + Clemson = 16
B1G: 14 + USC + UCLA = 16 + Washington + Oregon = 18??
ACC: 14 + OR State + WA State - FL State - Clemson = 14?

If Arizona goes and it looks like ASU and Utah will follow then WA and OR will have to leave. The Pac-6 and adding SDSU or Fresno St is a joke.

Old 08-04-2023, 11:16 AM

1,118 posts, read 516,020 times
I’m happy for the programs like Vanderbilt, Indiana, Northwestern and Rutgers - they got their seat at the table. Despite being objectively mediocre, in a few years with all the cash raining in, even though they likely still continue to struggle within the upper echelon of their super conference against the Georgia’s, Bama’s, Ohio St’s and Penn St’s of the world, if given the chance to play a paltry programs without a seat at the table like Oregon St, Washington St and Pitt, they would DESTROY them.

Recruits will follow the money, and there won’t be enough there! What’s sad for the Pac 12 and ACC remnants who don’t make a move, is even the Big 12 is building themselves as a solid #3. And they’ll have to shut the doors on programs wanting in eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football