Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 06:54 AM

1,203 posts, read 850,557 times

Advertisements

I know these guys are paid to be controversial, but c'mon Herbstreit. Yesterday during the Clemson game when asked about the top 4 ranking, he says not only should Georgia rank in the top 4, but they should move up to 3 after losing the conference championship to Alabama. He goes on to say the conference championships don't mean anything. And yet he wants to penalize Notre Dame for not playing in one. WTF?! Does he have any idea how illogical his statement is? If the conference championships don't mean anything, and Georgia was #4 before the game against Alabama, wouldn't logic tell you that they would remain at #4?

There clearly can be a fair debate on Georgia remaining in the top 4 but moving up is BS. Georgia had their destiny in their hands and they lost. In no way can I see a team moving up, just because another team (Notre Dame) didn't play. That's absurd. I predict Georgia will be on the outside looking in when the final 4 come out and Oklahoma will be in. We'll see in a few hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 08:13 AM

10,742 posts, read 13,544,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
I know these guys are paid to be controversial, but c'mon Herbstreit. Yesterday during the Clemson game when asked about the top 4 ranking, he says not only should Georgia rank in the top 4, but they should move up to 3 after losing the conference championship to Alabama. He goes on to say the conference championships don't mean anything. And yet he wants to penalize Notre Dame for not playing in one. WTF?! Does he have any idea how illogical his statement is? If the conference championships don't mean anything, and Georgia was #4 before the game against Alabama, wouldn't logic tell you that they would remain at #4?

There clearly can be a fair debate on Georgia remaining in the top 4 but moving up is BS. Georgia had their destiny in their hands and they lost. In no way can I see a team moving up, just because another team (Notre Dame) didn't play. That's absurd. I predict Georgia will be on the outside looking in when the final 4 come out and Oklahoma will be in. We'll see in a few hours.
Unfortunately, I agree with you. Darn dem Dawgs.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:21 AM

13,033 posts, read 13,568,310 times
Herbie went total idiot years ago. Why he is still on, I don’t have a clue.
Am a Longhorn fan, but was rooting for the Dawgs. (I was born in Georgia)

Old 12-06-2018, 03:06 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,273,091 times
Quote:

Georgia probably is the 3rd best team in the nation...Bama will destroy everyone in the playoffs if Tua is healthy.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:12 AM

3,472 posts, read 4,903,360 times
The top 4 have already been set at this point with Georgia on the outside. However, what baffles me is if Alabama was #1 and Georgia was #4 and then they played with Georgia controlling most of the game and Alabama pulling out the win at the very end, does that not confirm that they were ranked correctly? If #1 barely pulls off a win against #4 why does #4 drop to #5 the next week? I would have to agree with Kirk Herbstreit on this one. The game between the two looked like #1 playing #2 or #3 to me so Georgia should have at minimum stayed #4 or perhaps moved up to #3. It would have made for a better playoff because Oklahoma and Notre Dame are most likely going to get waxed. If Georgia would have been in the playoffs, at least we would have gotten one good semi-final game.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:33 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,273,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
The top 4 have already been set at this point with Georgia on the outside. However, what baffles me is if Alabama was #1 and Georgia was #4 and then they played with Georgia controlling most of the game and Alabama pulling out the win at the very end, does that not confirm that they were ranked correctly? If #1 barely pulls off a win against #4 why does #4 drop to #5 the next week? I would have to agree with Kirk Herbstreit on this one. The game between the two looked like #1 playing #2 or #3 to me so Georgia should have at minimum stayed #4 or perhaps moved up to #3. It would have made for a better playoff because Oklahoma and Notre Dame are most likely going to get waxed. If Georgia would have been in the playoffs, at least we would have gotten one good semi-final game.
You're trying to use logic....doesn't work in these type of cases.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:12 PM

1,344 posts, read 2,029,185 times
Quote:

I was thinking the same exact thing. Tired of these guys just saying anything stupid just to try and remain relevant. Colin Cowherd is getting worse and worse with that.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:15 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,493,327 times
Quote:
Thats not what he said...he said the playoff teams should be selected prior to the playing of the conference championships. And he's absolutely correct. Georgia has to play Bama while Clemson gets a 4 loss Pitt and Notre Dame doesn't have to play a game at all. Thats ridiculous. Until everyone plays a conference championship game againts a quality opponent the games shouldn't be part of the equation.

And no sane, unbiased, knowledgeable observer can deny that Georgia isn't one of the 4 best teams in the country. Fact.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:22 AM

5,813 posts, read 4,854,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
And no sane, unbiased, knowledgeable observer can deny that Georgia isn't one of the 4 best teams in the country. Fact.
That is not a fact, but an opinion. Georgia getting stomped by LSU changed that.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:02 PM

17,841 posts, read 15,718,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post

Georgia is not one of the 4 best teams in the country. I cannot deny that.

Fact.

Though I suspect you tripped yourself up with your own double negative.. You subconsciously were correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football