Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 05:55 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,360,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I don't have an excuse other than the rules allow it. I hate it as much as anybody but as long as they can schedule a marshmallow to get a break from the SEC schedule, they will. They typically schedule an easy team the week before the rivalry games. On the flip side, what is the other conferences excuse for only have maybe two legitimate teams and pretty much all the rest being "marshmallows?" Everybody likes to gripe about the couple of marshmallow games the SEC teams schedule but they don't want to talk about themselves having an almost entire schedule full of weak teams. Almost everybodies schedules sucked this year. Pick a team and look at their schedule. Look at Clemson or Oklahoma's schedules and explain to me how they were any better than Alabama or Georgia's. Both Clemson and Oklahoma had 3 maybe 4 legitimate games this year.

As for the SEC bowl record last year, pretty much all of them had key players that were entering the NFL draft that sat out. On top of that, the bowl games outside of the playoff games are a joke. What about the SEC's playoff games record since the playoff was established? Those games matter and all the key players play. Like most fans, I rarely watch much of any of the bowl games outside of the playoff games because they are a joke. What was the SEC record in useless bowls last year? I don't keep up with such pointless statistics.

I have no idea why the committee's pick the teams they do for some of those stupid bowls. I had no idea who played in the "Texas bowl," who won it or what city that waste of time bowl is played in and I won't watch it again this year. I have no idea who is in it or what day it is on. What does it matter anyway, that bowl is completely irrelevant.
Texas had 4 defensive starters sitting out for the Texas bowl, yet the Horns still managed to crush the best SEC offense, and did it with a punter who was named the MVP. I’m not making that up.

All those “nothing” bowl losses put the lie to the overrated SEC. The SEC is Alabama and everybody else. Since LSU & Florida have unfortunately rollercoasted (just like Texas), it has lowered the quality of the conference. It remains to be seen if Georgia can take up the long term slack and develop into an elite program. I hope so.

A$M thinks they will be the next big SEC power with Jimbo because they believe Sagan will be retiring in a very few years. They are investing a lot of cash into their recruiting, but that’s really wishful thinking on their part. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 11:42 AM

49 posts, read 44,566 times
Georgia is likely the 3rd best team in the country, but that's not how things are set up. I see OU getting slammed by Bama, even though I hope OU wins.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:28 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,646,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Thats not what he said...he said the playoff teams should be selected prior to the playing of the conference championships. And he's absolutely correct. Georgia has to play Bama while Clemson gets a 4 loss Pitt and Notre Dame doesn't have to play a game at all. Thats ridiculous. Until everyone plays a conference championship game againts a quality opponent the games shouldn't be part of the equation.

And no sane, unbiased, knowledgeable observer can deny that Georgia isn't one of the 4 best teams in the country. Fact.
Georgia lost to Tua last January and had obviously adjusted. The problem was that Jalen was back and noticably improved which caught Georgia off guard again. Meanwhile, Notre Dame did not even have to play a conference championship. They are going to get annihilated again. The common opponent with HEALTHY quarterbacks (which excludes Syracuse) was Pittsburgh. The Pitt coach thought there was no comparison between ND and Clemson. I agree. Alabama would likely lose to Georgia in a rematch. That would have been a great game rather than watching another mismatch.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:44 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,008,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Texas had 4 defensive starters sitting out for the Texas bowl, yet the Horns still managed to crush the best SEC offense, and did it with a punter who was named the MVP. I’m not making that up.

All those “nothing” bowl losses put the lie to the overrated SEC. The SEC is Alabama and everybody else. Since LSU & Florida have unfortunately rollercoasted (just like Texas), it has lowered the quality of the conference. It remains to be seen if Georgia can take up the long term slack and develop into an elite program. I hope so.

A$M thinks they will be the next big SEC power with Jimbo because they believe Sagan will be retiring in a very few years. They are investing a lot of cash into their recruiting, but that’s really wishful thinking on their part. Lol
Saban just signed a contract extension that means he will be coaching into his mid 70s. He isn’t going anywhere.

Texas A&M just got the 2nd or 3rd best recruit class this past week so Jimbo must be doing something right. Should be interesting in a couple of years.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:27 AM

5,725 posts, read 4,702,798 times
If only A$M was as good on the field as they are on recruiting day, they’d have a stack of championship trophies in their case.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:56 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,360,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Saban just signed a contract extension that means he will be coaching into his mid 70s. He isn’t going anywhere.

Texas A&M just got the 2nd or 3rd best recruit class this past week so Jimbo must be doing something right. Should be interesting in a couple of years.
Aggies have opened their checkbook SEC style.
But m1a1mg is correct. Other than Johnny Football’s two year stint and the FedEx/Sherrill scandal decade in the 1980s, A&M has been a mediocre program.
Jimbo had better deliver in the next two years or that crazy contract will make them the laughingstock of college football. The way he left FSU in a shambles doesn’t portend well for the future.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:15 PM

5,725 posts, read 4,702,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Aggies have opened their checkbook SEC style.
But m1a1mg is correct. Other than Johnny Football’s two year stint and the FedEx/Sherrill scandal decade in the 1980s, A&M has been a mediocre program.
Jimbo had better deliver in the next two years or that crazy contract will make them the laughingstock of college football. The way he left FSU in a shambles doesn’t portend well for the future.
You misspelled $herill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football