Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2021, 02:43 PM

8,420 posts, read 7,429,154 times

Advertisements

A tale of (almost) two halves.

Michigan dominated the first half and scored early in the third quarter to take a 30-14 lead. But at the 6:47 mark of the third quarter, MSU turned on the grit and went on to score 23 points to Michigan's 3 points and winning 37-33, with Kenneth Walker III eventually scoring all 5 touchdowns for MSU. 5 touchdowns, 2 two-point conversions, and one field goal beats 3 touchdowns and 4 field goals.

Michigan had more total yardage and more total time of possession, but they could have used fewer of Jake Moody's 4 field goals and more touchdowns when the field got short on Michigan. This year Michigan State's defense has always been softer when the field was long and got tougher down in the Red Zone...and it showed in this game.

Now for a tale of two coaches.

Prior to the game, Mel Tucker was the rumored leading candidate for the head coaching job at LSU. Now it may be the real question of whether Tucker wants to switch over from the Big 10 to the SEC and how much he wants for making the switch. I wasn't expecting Michigan State to beat Michigan, but now they only have to win against Purdue and Maryland before facing Ohio State for the slot in the Big 10 championship game. I do think that OSU beats MSU in that game, but for a second-year coach, Mel Tucker's looking like a consistent winner down the road, whether he stays at MSU or jumps to LSU.

Jim Harbaugh went into this game undefeated and with a good chance of both knocking off an in-state rival and winning his first victory against a top 10 team on the road, something Michigan last did in 2006 against Notre Dame. Life was good. Now the murmurings against Harbaugh will start again, and the remaining games against Indiana, Penn State, and Maryland are must wins before the final game at home against Ohio State. If Michigan beats Ohio State or if Michigan goes 3-1 the remainder of the season, Harbaugh may keep his Michigan job for one more year. Anything less, and Harbaugh will probably be sitting at home next football season.

As for the point some always make about there not being a good candidate to replace Harbaugh at Michigan, MSU somehow managed to find Mel Tucker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 09:00 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,487,391 times
The Ohio State game is in Ann Arbor. Ohio State has really struggled against quality opponents this year (loss to Oregon, currently leading Penn State by 3 at the beginning of the 4th). I think Harbaugh has a better chance of surviving is if they lose to Penn State but beat Ohio State. If Harbaugh can't get Ohio State this year when they are right there for the taking, he'll never get over that hump.

Old 10-31-2021, 09:49 AM

Perfect summation of Jim Harbaugh's tenure at Michigan, from David Hale at espn.com:

Quote:
Jim Harbaugh is a good coach. He's won a lot of games at Michigan. It's just hard to remember a single one of them that really mattered.

Old 10-31-2021, 10:46 AM

91 posts, read 76,485 times
Didn't agree with that reversal of the strip fumble that would have been a blue TD. Huge change for the game.

Last edited by ninbud; 10-31-2021 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: Edit

Old 10-31-2021, 03:54 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,885,576 times
MSU just always “out-toughens†us no matter what. We (Michigan) were up by enormous to seal the win, but MSU just kept grinding and fighting like they always do when they play us. It’s frustrating as a Michigan fan!

Old 11-01-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninbud View Post
Didn't agree with that reversal of the strip fumble that would have been a blue TD. Huge change for the game.
There are three different referee calls that fall under the heading of questionable or worse. The non-fumble that you bring up was only a four point swing, as Michigan took possession within a few plays and marched down the field for (another) field goal.

Michigan dominated Michigan State for almost three quarters and had amassed a 16 point lead (30-14) at the 6:57 mark of the third quarter, then allowed a 23-3 MSU point scoring run to end the game.

IMO, that Michigan collapse is the story of the game, not some questionable calls.

Old 11-02-2021, 12:06 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,456,843 times
At the end of the regular season, there likely will be clarity about Harbaugh's future at Michigan.

If Ohio State decisively defeats Nebraska in Lincoln this week, I would expect the athletic department honchos at Michigan to begin preparing for the worst and planning more seriously for a post-Harbaugh future. See post 60 here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio...l#post62233448

Old 11-22-2021, 06:52 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,590,876 times
So, here we are once again - Buckeyes need to beat U of M, and then win Big 10 Champ game to have a shot at the national title.

U of M need to win the game if Harbaugh expects to keep his job.

Good times.

Old 11-23-2021, 11:31 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,249,733 times
Are UM fans ready for the annual beatdown at the hands of my Buckeyes...
I see no way the UM defense is able to slow the Buckeye offense down...we have far and away the best WR group in the country...nobody can stay w/ them...our O'line is one of the best in the country and CJ Stroud has gotten so much better w/ his decision making in the pocket...plus a very fresh freakish RB in Henderson to run wild (he's every bit as good if not better then Walker who torched the Wolverine defense)
I see it Ohio State 55 Michigan 21

Old 11-23-2021, 12:21 PM

4,491 posts, read 3,935,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Are UM fans ready for the annual beatdown at the hands of my Buckeyes...
I see no way the UM defense is able to slow the Buckeye offense down...we have far and away the best WR group in the country...nobody can stay w/ them...our O'line is one of the best in the country and CJ Stroud has gotten so much better w/ his decision making in the pocket...plus a very fresh freakish RB in Henderson to run wild (he's every bit as good if not better then Walker who torched the Wolverine defense)
I see it Ohio State 55 Michigan 21
Agree, although the 21 might be generous. My second favorite team has been Michigan State and I was a little worried going into last week's game. Given the outcome, I see a bloodbath coming for Harbaugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football