Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2021, 07:23 AM

8,423 posts, read 7,429,154 times

Advertisements

I was listening to sports talk radio last night on my way back home from my father's house. The show's commentator reported rumors that Michigan is offering Jim Harbaugh another six years, but at a reduced salary; it's supposedly on paper and it's now on Harbaugh to either accept or counter the offer.

I thought that it would be simply six more years of Wolverine mediocrity, but it occurred to me that Harbaugh usually has the second or third best recruiting class in the Big 10 conference. It seems to me that the issue isn't that Harbaugh can't get the players, but rather, he can't get the coaches to develop those players, to devise and execute game plans, and to win games. A smaller salary for Harbaugh means more money for assistant coaches. But it also means a large turnover of his coaching staff, and that's tough for most college coaches, firing a significant number of their hand-picked staff members to make room for new coaching talent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 03:37 PM

3,839 posts, read 4,449,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I was listening to sports talk radio last night on my way back home from my father's house. The show's commentator reported rumors that Michigan is offering Jim Harbaugh another six years, but at a reduced salary; it's supposedly on paper and it's now on Harbaugh to either accept or counter the offer.

I thought that it would be simply six more years of Wolverine mediocrity, but it occurred to me that Harbaugh usually has the second or third best recruiting class in the Big 10 conference. It seems to me that the issue isn't that Harbaugh can't get the players, but rather, he can't get the coaches to develop those players, to devise and execute game plans, and to win games. A smaller salary for Harbaugh means more money for assistant coaches. But it also means a large turnover of his coaching staff, and that's tough for most college coaches, firing a significant number of their hand-picked staff members to make room for new coaching talent.
It's a done deal now. He's signed the extension. I'm stunned. I guess Michigan is happy playing second fiddle to Ohio State for the next 6 years.

Old 01-08-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
It's a done deal now. He's signed the extension. I'm stunned. I guess Michigan is happy playing second fiddle to Ohio State for the next 6 years.
Yeah, there was an article in the Detroit News earlier that confirmed via anonymous sources that there was an offer waiting for a signature and that it shifted the compensation to more of a results based scale and included a smaller buy-out of Harbaugh's contract, which starts at $4 million and drops by $1 million per year of the contract.

So Michigan is on the hook for about $4.5 million a year, but it jumps to $7.5 million if Harbaugh wins a national championship and scores coach of the year titles for both conference and nation.

Funny, it seems that old Jim wasn't being properly "incentivized" before, but now Warde Manuel is gonna make Jim work for his extra $3 million each year.

Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh signs five year extension

I just don't see how this gets Michigan over the hump. Unless Harbaugh has been holding back until now, it's going to be another several years of Michigan Wolverines being anywhere from the third best to sixth best team in the Big 10.

Hail, hail to Michigan! The champions of the past!

Old 01-09-2021, 08:05 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,854,119 times
Quote:
Yeah, there was an article in the Detroit News earlier that confirmed via anonymous sources that there was an offer waiting for a signature and that it shifted the compensation to more of a results based scale and included a smaller buy-out of Harbaugh's contract, which starts at $4 million and drops by $1 million per year of the contract.

So Michigan is on the hook for about $4.5 million a year, but it jumps to $7.5 million if Harbaugh wins a national championship and scores coach of the year titles for both conference and nation.

Funny, it seems that old Jim wasn't being properly "incentivized" before, but now Warde Manuel is gonna make Jim work for his extra $3 million each year.

I just don't see how this gets Michigan over the hump. Unless Harbaugh has been holding back until now, it's going to be another several years of Michigan Wolverines being anywhere from the third best to sixth best team in the Big 10.

That's my thing. What does he have left in his bag of tricks that he can use to get past the hump that is Columbus?

Old 01-11-2021, 12:51 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,887,255 times
Quote:

I don't know....I personally think Harbaugh is still a solid choice, and am not sure there are better options out there. For a few years, we were almost there with OSU, but just not quite as good; and in fairness, we were still pretty competitive despite having noticeably less talent than OSU (who is on par with Alabama and Clemson in terms of having endless depth and talent the last 5-7 years).

Me personally, I just consider this season a complete asterisk of a season, with all of the disruptions of COVID. I don't think our record would have necessarily been substantially different, but it terms of growth and development (and how we were playing/improving by the end of the year; it could have been different). So I'm willing to throw this season out. Giving that vaccines will certainly be rolled out by next season, I think next year will be a relatively "normal" year, and I'm willing to evaluate him after that. I personally wouldn't have extended him right now and would have waited; but given all the financial impacts of COVID, they may have been able to extend for a bargain (I don't know the details of the extension). That could payoff if they got a cheap extension because they can give him 2 more years and then buy him out (assuming he doesn't have a monster salary).

Old 01-11-2021, 05:10 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,976,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I don't know....I personally think Harbaugh is still a solid choice, and am not sure there are better options out there. For a few years, we were almost there with OSU, but just not quite as good; and in fairness, we were still pretty competitive despite having noticeably less talent than OSU (who is on par with Alabama and Clemson in terms of having endless depth and talent the last 5-7 years).

Me personally, I just consider this season a complete asterisk of a season, with all of the disruptions of COVID. I don't think our record would have necessarily been substantially different, but it terms of growth and development (and how we were playing/improving by the end of the year; it could have been different). So I'm willing to throw this season out. Giving that vaccines will certainly be rolled out by next season, I think next year will be a relatively "normal" year, and I'm willing to evaluate him after that. I personally wouldn't have extended him right now and would have waited; but given all the financial impacts of COVID, they may have been able to extend for a bargain (I don't know the details of the extension). That could payoff if they got a cheap extension because they can give him 2 more years and then buy him out (assuming he doesn't have a monster salary).
They cut his base pay in half. Except for this season, I'm happy enough with Harbaugh. My biggest complaint was he was overpaid for how he performed. The new contract is much more in line with where it should be. The buyout in the new contract is also pretty low, if Michigan changes their mind in a year or two.

Overall, it seems like a good deal for Michigan. The whole not beating OSU thing, while it sucks, is kinda inevitable at the level OSU has been at the last several years. I'd rather have a good team that is mostly fun to watch and has consistent winning seasons than try to go for broke and end up with another Rich Rod situation. This year wasn't fun to watch, and if it looks like that is going to be the trend, then it's good the buyout isn't too expensive.

Old 09-18-2021, 10:00 PM

91 posts, read 76,485 times
Will see how good they are when they play a decent team.

Old 09-19-2021, 03:29 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,887,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninbud View Post
Will see how good they are when they play a decent team.
That will come in 2 weeks when we play Wisconsin. Although Western Michigan is solid. They beat Pitt who beat Tennessee. So that's a solid win. And beating a Pac-12 team in Washington convincingly is good. So they have played 2 decent teams IMO and I would say they are off to as solid of a start as they can be; but you are right, the true test will be when they play a competitive, ranked team. The game against Wisconsin will tell a lot.

Old 10-26-2021, 01:31 PM

Not much talk about Michigan football on this thread so far this year.

#6 Michigan (7-0 overall, 4-0 B1G) is heading into East Lansing to play #8 Michigan State (also 7-0 overall, 4-0 B1G). Both teams have played opponents who were not exactly top 10 teams, so they finally arrive to this point in time when they play each other as top 10 teams.

I think the Wolverines take this game, it's theirs to lose. And if they do, it will be the first time in a long time that Michigan beat a top 10 team on the road, since 2006 against Wisconsin.

After that, only Penn State really stands in the way, but they aren't the team they were before losing to Iowa. It may be that Michigan goes into the Ohio State game in Ann Arbor unbeaten and playing for a spot in the Big 10 championship game.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:53 PM

17,817 posts, read 13,724,212 times
Quote:
Not much talk about Michigan football on this thread so far this year.

#6 Michigan (7-0 overall, 4-0 B1G) is heading into East Lansing to play #8 Michigan State (also 7-0 overall, 4-0 B1G). Both teams have played opponents who were not exactly top 10 teams, so they finally arrive to this point in time when they play each other as top 10 teams.

I think the Wolverines take this game, it's theirs to lose. And if they do, it will be the first time in a long time that Michigan beat a top 10 team on the road, since 2006 against Wisconsin.

After that, only Penn State really stands in the way, but they aren't the team they were before losing to Iowa. It may be that Michigan goes into the Ohio State game in Ann Arbor unbeaten and playing for a spot in the Big 10 championship game.
This is always a game to watch...this year more so than most with what's on the line. I really enjoy in state rivalries because you usually get great effort out of the teams and the stadiums are always abuzz with intensity. This is especially true when it is is at the "underdog" school. And while Michigan State has had the upper hand over the last say 15 years...they are still the "underdog" school in that series.

Will be tuned in on Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football