Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 10:39 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

How about the novel idea in place among the remaining NCAA divisions (FCS, II and III) and the NAIA? The top 20 teams are invited which includes any team that runs it's assigned schedule undefeated, minus the prejudices of conference strength much like the NCAA Basketball tournament does with 64+ teams.

The moneysuckers in it just for the greenbacks (sports media etc) still get loads of broadcast time and the bowl sponsors can host varying regional finals. The other divisions manage to wind up their season before FBS, so there's no argument about it taking too long either. I realize the SEC, Big10 and Big12 want to hog all of the revenue but perhaps there's another lesson for college students....fairness, equity and inclusiveness on a level playing field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2024, 07:44 AM

116 posts, read 34,950 times
I was always adamant about keeping the CFP at 4 teams, because it devalues the regular season. However, the 12-team CFP hasn't even started and now they are talking about expanding it to 14 teams.

If the 12-Team CFP is only for 2 years, then Ohio State better win one of these two years. Won the first ever 4-Team CFP, why not win the first ever 12-Team CFP?

Old 03-04-2024, 07:49 AM

Also, why should the G5 Teams get a automatic berth?

I used to be a big proponent of either Boise State or TCU getting a BCS National Title Berth, but that was because they scheduled a tough out of conference teams and those two teams were physical.

By guaranteeing that a G5 team will get a berth, they might as well not schedule a tough out of conference team.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:29 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowedBuckeyeDad90 View Post
I was always adamant about keeping the CFP at 4 teams, because it devalues the regular season. However, the 12-team CFP hasn't even started and now they are talking about expanding it to 14 teams.

If the 12-Team CFP is only for 2 years, then Ohio State better win one of these two years. Won the first ever 4-Team CFP, why not win the first ever 12-Team CFP?
Devalues the regular season how? How about the schools that run the table playing the schedule in front of them lacking the "power conference" schools too afraid to schedule them? It's a racket otherwise and the BCS national champion the definition of devaluation, minus actually proving it via a playoff system of qualified teams.

Old 03-04-2024, 11:21 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
My biggest issue is that it's not a fair system to begin with. 2 conferences of schools should never have an opportunity to dictate how everything works for everyone else. Why should Rutgers and Mississippi State have a say in whether or not Boise State or Tulane can reach the championship game? That's the beauty of the NCAA basketball tournament. Everyone basically has equal access to the championship. Win your conference, and you're in!

I get that not all schools/conferences are equal in quality. But the current system is a monopoly, and suffocates any chance that a smaller school has at advancing itself.

Old 03-04-2024, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Devalues the regular season how? How about the schools that run the table playing the schedule in front of them lacking the "power conference" schools too afraid to schedule them? It's a racket otherwise and the BCS national champion the definition of devaluation, minus actually proving it via a playoff system of qualified teams.

Let me explain:

In the 4-Team CFP Era, if a team lost to a G5 School, they're effectively eliminated from CFP Contention.

During the BCS Era, Overrated Michigan lost at home to Appalachian State and they were out of the Top 25 the following Monday. If they had lost to App State in the 4-Team CFP Era, they would have been eliminated. In the 12-Team CFP Era, they aren't eliminated. They have to effectively run the table and finish with 1-loss to get back in the Top 12.

In my view, if you get upset by a G5 Program, your season is over in terms of competing for a national championship.

Also, another issue is teams can barely sneak into the Top 12 or Top 14 in a few years with 3 or maybe 4 losses.

Not only that, in these next two seasons, if a B1G or SEC Team win the conference title game with 3 losses, that team is guaranteed a double bye.

Old 03-04-2024, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
My biggest issue is that it's not a fair system to begin with. 2 conferences of schools should never have an opportunity to dictate how everything works for everyone else. Why should Rutgers and Mississippi State have a say in whether or not Boise State or Tulane can reach the championship game? That's the beauty of the NCAA basketball tournament. Everyone basically has equal access to the championship. Win your conference, and you're in!

I get that not all schools/conferences are equal in quality. But the current system is a monopoly, and suffocates any chance that a smaller school has at advancing itself.

In these next 2 years, if a B1G or an SEC Program has 2-3 losses but win their conference title game, they will basically get a double bye to the 12-Team CFP. This is where my issue comes from.

Old 03-04-2024, 05:22 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
12 teams absolutely weakens the regular season. (4 teams did, but it was necessary.)

The best thing about college football was the fact that every game was basically a playoff game. If you lost early there went your chance to be national champs

At least they've started to schedule tougher games in the last few years.. It was cool to see games like Michigan state VS Oregon week 1 lately

Old 03-15-2024, 02:23 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,546 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowedBuckeyeDad90 View Post
Let me explain:

In the 4-Team CFP Era, if a team lost to a G5 School, they're effectively eliminated from CFP Contention.

During the BCS Era, Overrated Michigan lost at home to Appalachian State and they were out of the Top 25 the following Monday. If they had lost to App State in the 4-Team CFP Era, they would have been eliminated. In the 12-Team CFP Era, they aren't eliminated. They have to effectively run the table and finish with 1-loss to get back in the Top 12.

In my view, if you get upset by a G5 Program, your season is over in terms of competing for a national championship.

Also, another issue is teams can barely sneak into the Top 12 or Top 14 in a few years with 3 or maybe 4 losses.

Not only that, in these next two seasons, if a B1G or SEC Team win the conference title game with 3 losses, that team is guaranteed a double bye.
I can understand this argument.

I think there is no way to fix the Championship/playoff without somewhat devaluing the regular season to an extent, but they could fix somethings along the way.

Create a points system for the rankings and not just "feelings", required Home and Away or neutral site challenges like with Basketball. the SEC and ACC pretty much already have this with Clemson/South Carolina, FSU/UF, Georgia/GT, Kentucky/Louisville.

Old 04-11-2024, 10:18 AM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times
Here's how the CFP will work this coming season.

As mentioned before, the four highest-ranked conference champions will be seeded Nos. 1-4 and receive a first-round bye. Seeds 5-12 will play each other in the first round. The higher-seeded teams will play host in their first round games. Here's a breakdown of the first round matchups:

No. 5 vs. No. 12
No. 6 vs. No. 11
No. 7 vs. No. 10
No. 8 vs. No. 9

New Year's Six bowl games will be introduced in the quarterfinal round. The semifinals will be played in bowls on a rotating basis while the national championship host site is determined through bids by prospective host sites.

Using last years rankings

1 Michigan 13-0
2 Washington13-0
3 Texas 12-1
4 Alabama 12-1
First round byes highest ranked conference champs.

5 Florida State 13-0
6 Georgia 12-1
7 Ohio State 11-1
8 Oregon 11-2
9 Missouri 10-2
10 Penn State10-2
11 Ole Miss 10-2
12 Oklahoma 10-2

If you are not in the ACC, SEC, Big 12 or Big Ten you better schedule OOC really well and go undefeated or maybe 1 loss might get you into the top 12 depending on the year. If you have a crap schedule and run the table, Liberty, you ain't getting in. And they should not have as Oregon clobbered them 45-6 in the Bowl Game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football