Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 01:38 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,852,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
In light of recent developments, it's clear that you can't get in without an ACTUAL "one true champion", as the conference's slogan goes. So in order for a better shot at a championship game (and an added bonus of bringing a little sense back into college football) the Big XII would have to get back to 12 teams, and eventually more if the conference wants to survive.

My picks:

BEST choice

- Boise State
- BYU
- Cincy
- ECU
- Memphis
- UCF
- USF

Outside choice

- Air Force
- Colorado State
- Houston
- Louisiana (Lafayette)
- Louisiana Tech
- Rice
- Tulsa

Desperate choice

- Nevada
- North Texas
- SMU
- Texas State
- Tulane
- UNLV
- UTSA (I like them, but I think they have a few more years to go before moving up)
- Wyoming

...I think this calls for a new thread.

The best choices regionally speaking who are not bad competition wise would be Memphis, Houston, LA Tech, Rice.

Boise and Colorado St. would be good pick ups.

BYU would be a good choice as well as they at least have the long term tradition as well as recent success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 08:33 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,458,529 times
the problem is they aren't on a 'per team' tv deal, which is why they were too greedy to get louisville when they could have.

short term gains over long term, speaks a lot about where texas sees themselves in a decade IMO.
So I expect the big 12 to invite no one until another conference starts the next wave to 16.
Texas doesn't care if baylor and tcu didnt have the name to get in the top 4, if either were named Texas, then Ohio state fans are complaining about being the one left out. and TCU/Baylor don't call the shots.

But regardless, the push is for 5 16-team conferences. If we think that is the way it will go, I don't see the big 12 surviving. pac has nowhere else to go but the b12, and sec is going to poach the big boys once their little brothers are sure to have homes in the pac. wvu will be in the original big east divison of acc (sans rutgers/temple, add ND/louisville). the 5th will be an 'american' conference led by tcu/baylor/ucf/cincy/byu/navy/uconn/boise/memphis

Old 12-15-2014, 08:49 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,511,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
the problem is they aren't on a 'per team' tv deal, which is why they were too greedy to get louisville when they could have.

short term gains over long term, speaks a lot about where texas sees themselves in a decade IMO.
So I expect the big 12 to invite no one until another conference starts the next wave to 16.
Texas doesn't care if baylor and tcu didnt have the name to get in the top 4, if either were named Texas, then Ohio state fans are complaining about being the one left out. and TCU/Baylor don't call the shots.

But regardless, the push is for 5 16-team conferences. If we think that is the way it will go, I don't see the big 12 surviving. pac has nowhere else to go but the b12, and sec is going to poach the big boys once their little brothers are sure to have homes in the pac. wvu will be in the original big east divison of acc (sans rutgers/temple, add ND/louisville). the 5th will be an 'american' conference led by tcu/baylor/ucf/cincy/byu/navy/uconn/boise/memphis
I'm quite sure you meant four 16 conferences.

I do think you're right. Big XII will stand pat until the next realignment about
ten years when TV contracts are up for renewal. If I'm Baylor, TCU, Kansas St. I'm pushing hard to add two more teams because it would solidify the conference more and make it less likely for OU and Tejas to leave, getting left out when realignment occurs again, and being rendered to the Mountain West or the All-American.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:58 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
So nobody thinks the PAC-12 will kick out CU to replace them with BYU? CU and CSU come into the Big XII and the border of Colorado and Utah is the de facto conference border. I think the PAC-12 is not happy with CU and got sold a bill of goods.
Nope. The Pac 12 wants nothing to do with religious schools.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:06 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,152,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post

5 16 team conferences? There's not enough quality football programs out there to make a fifth super conference. Nobody outside of those schools care about the TCU's, Baylors, Bosie state, south florida, new mexico, san jose states, fresno states, Rice, SMU, U of H of the world. I think there will be 4 super conferences. The SEC currently has 14 schools, the ACC has 14(15 if you count Notre Dame) The Big 10 has 14, and the Pac 12 has 12. So if we're going to have 16 team conferences, that's 64 teams, with only 9 available spots left. So if the other conferences raid the Big 12 somebody's going to get left out. Probably either Baylor or TCU. The Big 12 will die and the schools will try and hook up with the other power 4 conferences. Texas will probably go to the SEC or Texas, Oklahoma, Ok St, and Texas Tech will end up in the Pac 12. West Virginia will probably end up in SEC. Kansas St and Iowa state to the Big 10. Kansas might go to the ACC for Basketball reasons.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:40 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,991,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
5 16 team conferences? There's not enough quality football programs out there to make a fifth super conference. Nobody outside of those schools care about the TCU's, Baylors, Bosie state, south florida, new mexico, san jose states, fresno states, Rice, SMU, U of H of the world. I think there will be 4 super conferences. The SEC currently has 14 schools, the ACC has 14(15 if you count Notre Dame) The Big 10 has 14, and the Pac 12 has 12. So if we're going to have 16 team conferences, that's 64 teams, with only 9 available spots left. So if the other conferences raid the Big 12 somebody's going to get left out. Probably either Baylor or TCU. The Big 12 will die and the schools will try and hook up with the other power 4 conferences. Texas will probably go to the SEC or Texas, Oklahoma, Ok St, and Texas Tech will end up in the Pac 12. West Virginia will probably end up in SEC. Kansas St and Iowa state to the Big 10. Kansas might go to the ACC for Basketball reasons.
This is the flaw in thinking about any number of "super conferences" using existing conferences as a base.

Wake Forest in no way, shape or form is a "quality football program". You can go through every conference and pick off a team or several that simply don't belong or need to prove a serious commitment going forward. Washington State, Indiana, Northwestern, Vandy, etc. etc.

Whether there's going to be 4x16 conferences or 5x16 conferences, hopefully the powers that be focus their efforts on getting the right teams into those conferences instead of grandfathering in undeserving teams based on "tradition". And ideally put some thought into bringing back rivalries that affected by the last CR fiasco.

Any argument that a TCU or Baylor don't belong is the conversation while Wake Forest or Washington St do is a silly, specious argument.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:52 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,152,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
This is the flaw in thinking about any number of "super conferences" using existing conferences as a base.

Wake Forest in no way, shape or form is a "quality football program". You can go through every conference and pick off a team or several that simply don't belong or need to prove a serious commitment going forward. Washington State, Indiana, Northwestern, Vandy, etc. etc.

Whether there's going to be 4x16 conferences or 5x16 conferences, hopefully the powers that be focus their efforts on getting the right teams into those conferences instead of grandfathering in undeserving teams based on "tradition". And ideally put some thought into bringing back rivalries that affected by the last CR fiasco.
I agree 1000%, but those schools got lucky and got grandfathered in. It is what it is. I wish we could go back to the conferences the way they were pre 2004, before all the realignment crap, but that ain't happening. As far as the playoffs, I would expand to 8 teams. Have the conference champion from the five power conferneces get automatic bids and then have 3 at large bids(from any conference) chosen by the selection committee.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:31 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,991,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I agree 1000%, but those schools got lucky and got grandfathered in. It is what it is. I wish we could go back to the conferences the way they were pre 2004, before all the realignment crap, but that ain't happening. As far as the playoffs, I would expand to 8 teams. Have the conference champion from the five power conferneces get automatic bids and then have 3 at large bids(from any conference) chosen by the selection committee.
Not a good enough answer. We shouldn't and can't settle for that.

Once you remove a major FBS program from the P5, you don't just affect the football program - you affect every other sport, plus public perception, and ultimately that will trickle down to negative effects on enrollment and academics.

Too much at risk to allow "grandfathering" to be a factor.

IMO, there should be a bar set to an agreed up set of factors (stadium size, enrollment, endowment, football budget, etc.) and if you meet that you're in. If not, you're out.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:38 AM

I did mean 5, with the 5th being the leftover/don't sue us conference who will possibly get the last auto spot in an 8 team playoff.
5 conf champs
+2 wildcards from the big 4
+ 1 highest ranked non auto mid major team if they are ranked in top 12 or w/e, or another SEC wildcard in most years

I guess a bridge to the sunbelt so to speak. But now that I think about it, more than likely the 5th conference would be part of the have nots.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Not a good enough answer. We shouldn't and can't settle for that.

Once you remove a major FBS program from the P5, you don't just affect the football program - you affect every other sport, plus public perception, and ultimately that will trickle down to negative effects on enrollment and academics.

Too much at risk to allow "grandfathering" to be a factor.

IMO, there should be a bar set to an agreed up set of factors (stadium size, enrollment, endowment, football budget, etc.) and if you meet that you're in. If not, you're out.
i could make a case to get rid of 50% of the teams, but what about teams like baylor who sucked forever then just turned it around. ask me 5 years ago and you can take both of the mississippi schools and throw them in the sunbelt. 30 years ago pitt was on top of the world, 20 years ago miami was, now both can't win or draw crowds.
the first 8 years of this centruy Duke won 10 games COMBINED. they won 10 last year. they obviously got a lot better, whos to say they can't take that next step? they would have been canned before anyone as recently as 2011 and never had the chance to see.
how long to we give teams to rebound? does raping children get you kicked out of the big 4 if you draw 110k a game? what if you get big sanctions can you get relegated to CUSA?

maybe relegation is the way to go. crap or get off the pot (or out of the conference)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football