Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 11:20 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,505,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
LOL...I just threw it out there to see if it would stick. The potential is there but years down the road.

My choices would be BYU and CSU. BYU brings immediate value and CSU, (with a new stadium, the Denver Market and marquee Big 12 opponents), could make the Big 12 the dominate conference in the Rocky Mountains. Also, westward expansion could be continued down the road with Boise State, UNLV or New Mexico. Finally, the Big 12 could link up with the PAC 12, forming a partnership for purposes of scheduling OOC games.

But I think both BYU and Cincy will get the nod.

I thought BYU's not playing on Sunday deal was going to stop them, but even that notwithstanding, about the only big point I see touted on the new articles out touting BYU is "market", which consdiering that not every conference has to be all things to all people, I find irrelevant. Though, I'm not really sure the Big 12 plays much on Sundays, anyway, and their MBB tourney ends on Saturday and they play very few Sunday games, making that a moot point. If they want to tout their solid revenue sports, be my guest.

Colorado State doesn't bring anything of note in Denver. UNLV and UNM would have no chance just because their major sports just don't do enough to matter.

I'd have to give the nod to Cincy and Memphis. Both their basketball programs are solid and evidently Memphis takes football seriously now. Very nice all-around offering on both fronts. Gives WVU a couple of semi-nearby playmates, too. Not that I'd really place that under scrutiny, but it's convenient.

Oh, OP, you need to replace "Outside choice" with "Desperate choice" as well. There is no way any bottom budget Sun Belt school gets in on the Big 12 much less Rice or Tulsa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 11:58 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,514,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I do think that this conference (if it sticks around) should get an ECU, a Cincinnati, or a Memphis to close that gap between us and West Virginia.

Adding 6 in total to make it a "Super Conference", I'd go:

BYU, Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, ECU, and Houston as a 6th member for "big market" purposes. I know A&M owns the southeast side of Texas, but at least get SOME of it back. I think eventually, if and when the Pac 12 expands to 16, they'll take Boise.

Big XII North:

West Virginia, Cincy, ISU, Kansas, Kansas State, BYU, ECU, Memphis

Big XII South:

TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, UCF, Houston

OR

Big XII East:

West Virginia, Cincy, ISU, ECU, Memphis, UCF, Kansas, Kansas State

Big XII West:

BYU, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State
I can't see it being a North/South division again as it was so lopsided before. They need to intersperse the Oklahoma/Texas teams in both divisions (whatever the divisions are called) for balance. Before ya'll (TCU) got here, you may remember that the Big 12 South was far superior to the North. We can't make the same mistake again.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:32 AM

20,518 posts, read 33,572,975 times
SMH. I wish Texas went to the Pac 12.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:36 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,514,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
SMH. I wish Texas went to the Pac 12.
Four to five more years like this one and I think that's a high probability.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:07 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,920,863 times
Sadly, that's more likely...

Old 12-09-2014, 12:26 PM

6,088 posts, read 9,128,290 times
Cincy has to be one of the added teams. They are the best choice by far, and already have a relationship with WVU.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:33 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,154,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
In light of recent developments, it's clear that you can't get in without an ACTUAL "one true champion", as the conference's slogan goes. So in order for a better shot at a championship game (and an added bonus of bringing a little sense back into college football) the Big XII would have to get back to 12 teams, and eventually more if the conference wants to survive.

My picks:

BEST choice

- Boise State
- BYU
- Cincy
- ECU
- Memphis
- UCF
- USF

Outside choice

- Air Force
- Colorado State
- Houston
- Louisiana (Lafayette)
- Louisiana Tech
- Rice
- Tulsa

Desperate choice

- Nevada
- North Texas
- SMU
- Texas State
- Tulane
- UNLV
- UTSA (I like them, but I think they have a few more years to go before moving up)
- Wyoming

...I think this calls for a new thread.
Nobody. Honestly adding any of those teams reeks of desperation. None of those teams really brings anything to the table. All the teams that are worth a damn are locked up in other conferences. The Big 12 lost the realignment wars of a couple of years ago. We should have jumped on Florida State and Clemson when it looked like they were looking to make a move. I say stand pat, and hope the playoffs expand to 8 teams. If not then hopefully the Big 12 dissolves and Texas moves to either the SEC or the Pac 12

Old 12-09-2014, 03:45 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,220,049 times
So nobody thinks the PAC-12 will kick out CU to replace them with BYU? CU and CSU come into the Big XII and the border of Colorado and Utah is the de facto conference border. I think the PAC-12 is not happy with CU and got sold a bill of goods.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:48 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,908,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
So nobody thinks the PAC-12 will kick out CU to replace them with BYU? CU and CSU come into the Big XII and the border of Colorado and Utah is the de facto conference border. I think the PAC-12 is not happy with CU and got sold a bill of goods.
Not likely. Getting booted from a conference is an extreme rarity. Temple got kicked out of the Big lEast in 2004. Other than that I can't think of any other instance where it happened.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:21 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,920,863 times
I highly... HIGHLY doubt that anyone from the other Big 5 conferences are going anywhere. Especially with the ACC. I believe they have tight contracts to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football