Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 04:54 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,651,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yep. But I'm a little skeptical of the Rube Goldberg, jury-rigged system they concoct to find four finalists, as opposed to just the two. Because some years it's easier to boil it down to two teams than suddenly expand the field to four worthies.
I would have liked to see at least six teams instead of four.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 04:56 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
If Auburn had the tougher schedule, and was way more battle-tested by playing in the tough SEC, then beating this FSU team from the incy, wincy, ACC should of been a cake walk. Playing FSU should have been a breath of fresh air considering all the competition they had to face in the big bad SEC. So why, and how did they lose? Were there some key injuries that Auburn sustained during their season that I forgot about? I mean, the more battle-tested team should be victorious. Since the SEC is the way tougher conference, FSU should have been the easiest game Auburn played all year. I'm not disagreeing with you about FSU having the easier schedule, but How'd Auburn lose? I think FSU could've beaten anyone in the SEC this year. I think they could've gone undefeated in the SEC. Think about it this way, everyone keeps saying the reason FSU struggled in the 1st half, because they "never faced a defense like this all year"(meaning, an SEC defense) well in that case, it only took FSU halftime to adjust to the "SEC speed" of the SEC's best teams defense. Imagine what FSU would've done to Bama, LSU, Georgia, etc.
Nah. Auburn's defense really wasn't the problem last night. For whatever reason, their coach decided to go into Andy Reid mode at the outset of the second half, calling conservative running plays up the middle that led to a series of 3 and outs. The offense's inability to sustain drives kept the defense on the field for too long, imo.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:04 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane1976 View Post
Florida thought they would whip Georgia Southern. That is until Georgia Southern came into the Swamp and won while not gaining any passing yardage. The mighty SEC loses to a FCS team.
It's not about SEC vs. everyone else. To be politically incorrect about it, it's about the schools that have access to the best talent, much of which is African-American. And since the majority of the black population lives in the South, we're seeing southern teams win titles year after year after year. It may not be an SEC team next year, but it's likely to be some other team from Florida or Texas. The talent down there is simply ridiculous.

Back in the old days, a lot of these guys from the Deep South would go to schools like Notre Dame, Michigan, USC, Penn State, etc. Now guys like Jadeveon Clowney, Tyrann Mathieu, Eddie Lacy, etc. are staying in state or close to home. That's the difference as far as I see it.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:13 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I would have liked to see at least six teams instead of four.
8 would be ideal, but give it a few years and it will go there.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:33 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not about SEC vs. everyone else. To be politically incorrect about it, it's about the schools that have access to the best talent, much of which is African-American. And since the majority of the black population lives in the South, we're seeing southern teams win titles year after year after year. It may not be an SEC team next year, but it's likely to be some other team from Florida or Texas. The talent down there is simply ridiculous.

Back in the old days, a lot of these guys from the Deep South would go to schools like Notre Dame, Michigan, USC, Penn State, etc. Now guys like Jadeveon Clowney, Tyrann Mathieu, Eddie Lacy, etc. are staying in state or close to home. That's the difference as far as I see it.
Pretty much.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:57 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
8 would be ideal, but give it a few years and it will go there.
I hope so man

Old 01-07-2014, 06:57 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah, I meant it should've been LSU vs Ok State. I think that OK State team with Blackmon, would've been as good an offense as LSU would have faced all-season. But OK State didn't even get a chance to play in the Big Game.
I do agree that OSU was probably better than Arkansas, but not by much. Blackmon would have been a force to be reckoned with, but don't forget that all of the 2011 secondary went pro -- first round. LSU's only weakness on defense was that they didn't have a dominant pass rusher like they did in 2007 (Ken Dorsey), but they did stuff the run and their linebackers and corners were good at sniffing out screens. They handled the speed of Oregon, the option of WV, and the spread of Arkansas. They got just about any offensive look you could have thrown at them and won. Where they really struggles is when they faced another team that played their style of ball -- something Alabama did actually better than LSU.

I think LSU might have entered a game like OSU a bit tense and might have gotten into some early trouble, but they would have been too physical for the Cowboys that year.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:58 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

In a nutshell... I've stated the same thing in years past around here.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:58 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane1976 View Post
Well they "got up" for Auburn, rallied from 18 points down and won. Mind you they beat that cupcake Clemson in death valley as well.

Why didn't the dominant SEC get up for their bowl games?

The SEC still took 7 out of 10. Not bad for a down year.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:26 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm not sure if the Pittsburg Steelers could have beaten USC that year, but I'm pretty sure that Auburn would have done a better job than the Sooners.
You're probably right. USC had a higher payroll than the Steelers that year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football