Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 06:51 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,937,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Can anyone expect more than a so-so season?

I think the popular prediction here which I agree with is another 8 - 4 campaign. I think they roll through the first 6 games at either 6 - 0 or 5 - 1 but then hit a wall once the nitty gritty of the Big 10 games comes in. Games vs. Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, Wisconsin will obviously be real tough.

Part of me wants to really be "bold" and say 9 - 3 but I doubt it. I really do think they'll upset one of the power teams in the conference but I also think they'll take a bad loss somewhere as usual against an inferior opponent (might be Indiana's chance this year for once?)

So.... 8 - 4!

Anyone headed to Met-Life this weekend for the Syracuse game? We'll be there... just so some of you know that are going but haven't researched. Parking is $30.... gates open for tailgating at 10AM or 1030AM I believe... and if you're bringing bags (ladies) make sure to bring whatever important stuff you need in a CLEAR BAG. It's an NFL policy that is being implemented for this game as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 09:14 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,247,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I took a lot of satisfaction in the two National Champoinships actually awarded during the Paterno era, and the two, or possibly more, than should have been. Few people took more pride than I did in Pen State's move into the Big Ten, where it should have gone a lot sooner.
Ironically, I feel the exact opposite - I HATE the fact Penn State joined the Midwest-focused Big Ten, and in fact lost a lot of interest in Penn State football after they moved into that league in the early 1990s, interest that has never returned. IMO Penn State should be playing its old eastern independent foes like Pitt, Syracuse, and West Virginia every year. (On a side note, many people like to put down eastern college football, and not without legitimate reason. However, in all honesty eastern college football was pretty strong in the late 1970s and throughout most of the 1980s (coincidentally the time when I came of age as a sports fan). Many programs, not just Penn State, had very strong multi-year periods or at least individual seasons when they were competitive with just about every team in the country.) I'd personally love to see Penn State join the ACC (along with West Virginia, Temple, Rutgers, Connecticut, and maybe Massachusetts, and have Maryland rejoin the ACC). The ACC could then form a northern division composed of the 1980s eastern independents (PSU, Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, Boston College, Rutgers, and Temple), the northern teams in traditional ACC territory (Maryland, Virginia, and Virginia Tech), and 1-2 other schools that are located in this footprint (Connecticut and possibly Massachusetts). That would be awesome IMO.

P.S.1 - 2nd trick op, my apologies for not responding to your message a year ago on here. I have some interest but also am busy (and get distracted) by other things.

P.S.2 - my mother is from Berwick; she graduated from high school in 1960. Her siblings, all of whom are much younger than her, graduated from high school in the 1975-1980 time frame.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:11 PM

7,222 posts, read 11,945,754 times
I'm excited for today's game! Thanks for starting this thread John.

Here is the link to the schedule:

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...tbl-sched.html

Old 08-31-2013, 02:41 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,050,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I'm excited for today's game! Thanks for starting this thread John.

Here is the link to the schedule:

Penn State Official Athletic Site - Football
Thank You. I was surprised that I was the person who started it - even with Sandusky.
As I write, Syracuse is leading 3-0 with 7 minutes to go in the 2nd.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:58 PM

Penn State 23 - Syracuse 16.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:48 AM

550 posts, read 966,828 times
My buddy is a proud Penn State grad and trash talks every opportunity I give him about my Alma Mater, the University of Michigan.

Realistically, what are your predictions for PSU against Michigan on October 12 (in Happy Valley)?

(I actually grew up a PSU fan so I really feel no animosity towards the Lions; I would, however, always root for Michigan in a matchup.)

Old 09-01-2013, 08:30 AM

With the restrictions that Penn State is under, it will be difficult to beat the unrestricted teams.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:10 AM

I wasat the game yesterday...very fun atmosphere as PSU fans and alum as expected dominated the attendance.

A few things... I like this team a lot. Although Hack had one real bad INT I think he did real well and a winin your debut as a true freshman is huge. Allen Robinson was a beast again... Is it possible to have a "quiet" 7 receptions and 133 rec yards and a TD? Oh... And KickerSam ******.... What a turn around after the start of last season.

A lot of good to take away from that game.... They should keep improving

Old 09-01-2013, 11:23 AM

It was warm and muggy yesterday. It must have been uncomfortable.

How good is Syracuse?

Old 09-02-2013, 06:15 AM

Lets put it this way... they miss their old coach and their star QB from the last few years... they didn't have much to show on offense. Game was close but I never really felt as if Syracuse was going to pull ahead and win.

First games are always tough... and both teams had new QB's to showcase plus Syracuse has the new coach. PSU in the end just had a little too much for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football