Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 01:45 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,561,832 times

Advertisements

A complete shocker! Were there rumors? Did anyone see this coming? This is not even a lateral move for Bielema.

Bret Bielema, head coach of Wisconsin Badgers, accepts position to coach Arkansas Razorbacks -- source - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 02:02 PM

8,625 posts, read 15,096,361 times
Someone better let him know that 7-5 won't cut it in Fayetteville. Big loss for Wisconsin, but they've still got Barry Alvarez in-house.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Someone better let him know that 7-5 won't cut it in Fayetteville. Big loss for Wisconsin, but they've still got Barry Alvarez in-house.
Someone better let Bielema know there's no "gentleman's agreement" when recruiting in SEC land. He cried like a baby when Urban Meyer flipped one of his 2102 verbal commits, OT Kyle Dodson.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:25 PM

4,721 posts, read 3,936,959 times
Someone better let him know that he'll now have several talented athletes on his team. No longer will he have to work with a slow defensive lineman from Sheboygan or Oostburg, Wi. Any chance to move out of the big 10 & to the SEC is a big step up.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:05 PM

491 posts, read 1,662,273 times
This is a head scratcher. With his "gentleman's agreement" style of recruiting in the Big10, he doesn't seem to fit the sec style of win at all cost. Big loss for Wisconsin. I wonder who's in line for the Wisconsin job now.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:17 PM

811 posts, read 817,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
This is a head scratcher. With his "gentleman's agreement" style of recruiting in the Big10, he doesn't seem to fit the sec style of win at all cost. Big loss for Wisconsin. I wonder who's in line for the Wisconsin job now.
Bobby Petrino
j/k They should go after Chris Petersen at Boise State

Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,618,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Someone better let him know that he'll now have several talented athletes on his team. No longer will he have to work with a slow defensive lineman from Sheboygan or Oostburg, Wi. Any chance to move out of the big 10 & to the SEC is a big step up.
Talented athletes from the same school that's made only one BCS bowl, which it lost??

Wisconsin could be one of the top 3 teams in the new 14-team Big Ten. At Arkansas, I see Bielema keeping them in the middle of the pack, and that won't cut it in Arkansas. Hog fans are dying to become relevant in the NC conversation. And as best as I can tell, he has no recruiting ties in the southeast. This is a baffling selection for Arkansas and for Bielema.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:20 PM

One thing going for Bielema is that Arkansas has better athletes than what he had at Wisky. He's going to need to bring in coaches who can recruit in the South from Texas to Florida through the Carolinas. Of course, this easier said than done. I wonder if Arkansas tried to land Charlie Strong and he turned them down.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:57 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,142,306 times
While the state of Wisconsin is not the fertile recruiting ground that southern states are, the Badgers have consistently recruited very good offensive linemen and some very solid defensive players from the state.

Mike Taylor, Jered Abbrederis, Joel Stave, Melvin Gordon, and Derrick Watt are just a few of the very solid players from the state lining up for Wisconsin. Gordon could be a real dynamic force at running back next year------he is quick and very strong.

For the last twenty years the program has become very consistent and solid. I did not see this coming with Bielema---I wish him well, and thank him for his contributions.

I dont know the full story behind his leaving-----I know the Wisconsin boards and newspapers are full of satire tonight and lots of opinions about Brett----some positive and some not.

Overall I think Bielema did a solid job-----three Rose Bowl trips and a 68-24 record not too shabby. He is a good recruiter and personality. He has been roundly criticized for game management.

Anyway, being a huge Badger fan, I am not jumping on the blast Bielema parade. College football is a rapidly changing merry go round now, and lifers at one school are becoming obsolete.

I wish Brett well, and good luck with the Arkansas program. Wisconsin has become a good destination program, and they will hire a good coach to continue the success.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,263,276 times
Let's be real. Bret Bieleme was at Wisconsin, a great football program. He is from Illinois, went to college at Iowa. He has no connection to the SEC. This is about the money. And regardless of what anyone here is saying the Arkansas program was bad this year and it will not be difficult to do a little better and look good.

As for the Urban Meyer comment: he's a baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football