Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,564,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
Let's be real. Bret Bieleme was at Wisconsin, a great football program. He is from Illinois, went to college at Iowa. He has no connection to the SEC. This is about the money. And regardless of what anyone here is saying the Arkansas program was bad this year and it will not be difficult to do a little better and look good.

As for the Urban Meyer comment: he's a baby.

didn't realize Bielema was a FIB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 10:32 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,511,312 times
Until the Big Ten schools realize that in order to re-establish some national relevance (a huge uphill battle considering how far the conference's reputation has fallen since Ohio State laid eggs in back-to-back national championship losses in 2006 and 2007 and the conference itself continues to post losing records every bowl season aside from 2002 and 2009) they need to pay their coaches and assistants salaries comparable to their counterparts down south and out west, this is going to continue to happen.

It also doesn't help that the Worldwide Leader, CBS Sports, Yahoo and Sports Illustrated continue to (rightfully, IMHO) push the idea that the Big Ten is a slow, outdated conference barely worthy of the perks it receives come bowl season every year.

Huge blow not only for Wisconsin (even for someone like myself who couldn't stand Bielema) but also for the Big Ten Conference as a whole. Moves like this essentially render whatever success/dominance Ohio State and/or Michigan might have moving forward as meaningless since they're only beating up on "little sisters of the poor" within their own conference, unlike the teams in the SEC, Big XII and PAC-12 who all beat the hell out of each other, but at least play at a higher level of competition amongst themselves than the teams up north.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:36 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,253,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
didn't realize Bielema was a FIB
Wow, you just lost all credibility for anything you have ever or will ever post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Until the Big Ten schools realize that in order to re-establish some national relevance (a huge uphill battle considering how far the conference's reputation has fallen since Ohio State laid eggs in back-to-back national championship losses in 2006 and 2007 and the conference itself continues to post losing records every bowl season aside from 2002 and 2009) they need to pay their coaches and assistants salaries comparable to their counterparts down south and out west, this is going to continue to happen.

It also doesn't help that the Worldwide Leader, CBS Sports, Yahoo and Sports Illustrated continue to (rightfully, IMHO) push the idea that the Big Ten is a slow, outdated conference barely worthy of the perks it receives come bowl season every year.

Huge blow not only for Wisconsin (even for someone like myself who couldn't stand Bielema) but also for the Big Ten Conference as a whole. Moves like this essentially render whatever success/dominance Ohio State and/or Michigan might have moving forward as meaningless since they're only beating up on "little sisters of the poor" within their own conference, unlike the teams in the SEC, Big XII and PAC-12 who all beat the hell out of each other, but at least play at a higher level of competition amongst themselves than the teams up north.
I really think people put too much into the coach and not enough into the players. I also think when a team loses bowl games for consecutive seasons or 2 out of 3 or what not that too much of a deal is made about it. You made it to a bowl game and not once but multiple times in a short period of time.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
A complete shocker! Were there rumors? Did anyone see this coming? This is not even a lateral move for Bielema.

Bret Bielema, head coach of Wisconsin Badgers, accepts position to coach Arkansas Razorbacks -- source - ESPN
As far as I know, not a person ever mentioned his name. In fact, my husband, who is a sports junky didn't even recognize the name when I first told him yesterday. Of course, we heard about every name in the world floating around these past few weeks: I think every coach from middle school up had been mentioned. I will say, so far, the response, after the shcok was over, has been positive.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Someone better let him know that 7-5 won't cut it in Fayetteville. Big loss for Wisconsin, but they've still got Barry Alvarez in-house.
I am sure the overall record is more important than one season..As I said, a minute ago, the fans are not complaining..so we will wait and see...

Old 12-05-2012, 05:14 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,309,638 times
He left Wisconsin because he could not deal with the Buckeye tidal wave coming his way

Old 12-05-2012, 07:28 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,511,312 times
That tidal wave loses a lot of its credibility when good coaches jump ship for a middle of the pack SEC team

Old 12-05-2012, 07:52 AM

8,985 posts, read 17,308,092 times
Quote:

It wasn't that long ago that B1G basketball was thought to have fallen way behind the other power conferences, and people wondered if they could ever recover. Now, the B1G is the strongest conference in the country. It may take time, but these things are cyclical and B1G football will be back............eventually.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:24 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,543,968 times
Quote:
That tidal wave loses a lot of its credibility when good coaches jump ship for a middle of the pack SEC team
You would get an argument from a lot of Badger fans as to your claim that Bielema is a good coach.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:49 AM

518 posts, read 407,025 times
Apparently the beef was with Wisconsin's facilities (or so I've read). These days it's not enough to have good recruiting pools; the recruits need exercise toys to play with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football