Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Notre Dame leapfrog Oregon in the BCS rankings this week?
Yes 7 63.64%
No 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:59 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,653,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
That's why I am hoping Bama loses to LSU and at least K State and Oregon stay undefeated. If that happens, I am sure there will be a lot of squabbling from SEC fans about their teams having a more legitimate claim to playing for the title.
Agreed 100%.

K-State and ND would be a better game though. UO would murder K-State.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:13 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,355,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Because the SEC has been dominant for almost a century now. Right. That's rich. Typical SEC homer. Your momma and daddy probably weren't even born then. I'm glad to know another "Johnny Come Lately" SEC type.

Cheers.
Here's the deal, bro.

SEC's the supreme conference, and it will be for quite some time. We just didn't have the right coaches until recently, but the talent that the SEC has in its backyard is just too rich. If the SEC schools recruit right and coach right, there's nuttin' you boys can do but watch us raise the glass trophy. College football's about player development. That player development starts in high school in the South. You already have loads of entering freshmen that have played at an extremely competitive level in high school. They have an edge over players recruited outside the South.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:26 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,653,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
That player development starts in high school in the South. You already have loads of entering freshmen that have played at an extremely competitive level in high school. They have an edge over players recruited outside the South.
I Lol'd. Come on man.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:09 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,259,954 times
Quote:
Here's the deal, bro.

SEC's the supreme conference, and it will be for quite some time. We just didn't have the right coaches until recently, but the talent that the SEC has in its backyard is just too rich. If the SEC schools recruit right and coach right, there's nuttin' you boys can do but watch us raise the glass trophy. College football's about player development. That player development starts in high school in the South. You already have loads of entering freshmen that have played at an extremely competitive level in high school. They have an edge over players recruited outside the South.
The SEC is the most overrated conference. The only reason its teams are ranked so high is because the voters have a love affair with them.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:04 AM

5,864 posts, read 5,006,502 times
Quote:
Here's the deal, bro.

Add in shoddy academic standards, degrees in underwater basketweaving available only to the "student"-athletes, illegal "gifts" from boosters, pay for play, etc. and no wonder the SEC teams are so good. Oh don't forget the OOC schedule is a joke for many of the top teams in the SEC.

Alabama's OOC schedule is: Michigan, Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, and Western Carolina. Hell even their conference schedule is a dreadful joke: Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss, Auburn, Miss. St., T A&M, and LSU. So that's really about 9 iron lock wins, and 3 semi-tough to pretty tough games.

Georgia has a patsy OOC schedule too: Buffalo, Florida Atlantic, Georgia Southern, and Georgia Tech. Hell that almost makes Alabama's OOC schedule look like murderer's row by comparison. And somehow, for the second straight year, UGA avoids playing Alabama and LSU in their conference schedule. Georgia has about 10 guaranteed wins and two tough games (Florida and USCe) and all they had to do was split them and they could cruise to 11 wins and the SEC title game again.

But here's the thing: human voters have drunk the SEC kool-aid so most SEC teams start the year ridiculously hyped and overrated so once they beat up on each other it guarantees that they'll only drop a few spots in the poll. There is no way in hell USCe is a top 10 team in the land and I don't buy UGA or LSU as top 6 teams either. All this talk of "supreme football" and "tough" SEC schedules is a joke in my opinion.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:16 AM

LOL! Guys, you're forgetting something: other conferences had chances to beat the SEC in 2003/4, 2006/7, 2007/8, 2008/9, 2009/10, and 2010/11. What's the rest of the nation's record against the SEC? 0 and 6. It's not like the other conferences don't get a chance to prove it on the field.

And last year, all OSU had to do was beat Iowa State in a layup game, and it would have been assured of a chance to make it 0 for 7, er, a chance to finally beat the SEC and shut their fan base up. Don't blame the SEC 'cause your schools can't handle the spotlight. Ain't our fault.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:28 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,831,421 times
I'll never understand how SEC fans can be so supportive of their conference and seemingly cheer on any team that makes the title game.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:30 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,831,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Add in shoddy academic standards, degrees in underwater basketweaving available only to the "student"-athletes, illegal "gifts" from boosters, pay for play, etc. and no wonder the SEC teams are so good. Oh don't forget the OOC schedule is a joke for many of the top teams in the SEC.

Alabama's OOC schedule is: Michigan, Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, and Western Carolina. Hell even their conference schedule is a dreadful joke: Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss, Auburn, Miss. St., T A&M, and LSU. So that's really about 9 iron lock wins, and 3 semi-tough to pretty tough games.

Georgia has a patsy OOC schedule too: Buffalo, Florida Atlantic, Georgia Southern, and Georgia Tech. Hell that almost makes Alabama's OOC schedule look like murderer's row by comparison. And somehow, for the second straight year, UGA avoids playing Alabama and LSU in their conference schedule. Georgia has about 10 guaranteed wins and two tough games (Florida and USCe) and all they had to do was split them and they could cruise to 11 wins and the SEC title game again.

But here's the thing: human voters have drunk the SEC kool-aid so most SEC teams start the year ridiculously hyped and overrated so once they beat up on each other it guarantees that they'll only drop a few spots in the poll. There is no way in hell USCe is a top 10 team in the land and I don't buy UGA or LSU as top 6 teams either. All this talk of "supreme football" and "tough" SEC schedules is a joke in my opinion.
That's one of the biggest problems with these rankings. You better hope you go undefeated, or lose early in the season to avoid getting screwed by the polls.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
The SEC is the most overrated conference. The only reason its teams are ranked so high is because the voters have a love affair with them.
What's the rest of the nation's record against the SEC in the BCS?

Wanna talk about teams that are perpetually overrated? Let's start with OU and Notre Dame. Every year since about 1993 has been the year that ND was supposed to be legit, and every year we get fooled. Maybe this will be the year, though. Shoot, ND's close enough to Chicago...they could probably take some pointers from Chicago politicians on how to rig BCS voting. lol!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:01 AM

5,864 posts, read 5,006,502 times
Quote:
LOL! Guys, you're forgetting something: other conferences had chances to beat the SEC in 2003/4, 2006/7, 2007/8, 2008/9, 2009/10, and 2010/11. What's the rest of the nation's record against the SEC? 0 and 6. It's not like the other conferences don't get a chance to prove it on the field.

And last year, all OSU had to do was beat Iowa State in a layup game, and it would have been assured of a chance to make it 0 for 7, er, a chance to finally beat the SEC and shut their fan base up. Don't blame the SEC 'cause your schools can't handle the spotlight. Ain't our fault.
That's the thing I don't understand...SEC fans. I mean I understand being a fan or Florida, UGA, Alabama, etc. but I've never seen such a phenomenon as conference fans. As a Notre Dame fan I don't cheer on my rivals when they make to the championship so I just don't get it. Have arrogance and cockiness in your team...it's silly to expand that to a whole conference.

This culture of cheering for a conference has helped create echo chamber that is SEC and it helps reinforce the bias in the media and polls shown towards the SEC. LSU was a preseason #1 and Alabama, UGA, and Arkansas were all preseason top 10 without having played a snap. By stacking the deck so heavily towards the SEC, coupled with a bakery OOC schedule (all cupcakes and creampuffs), means that a two loss SEC team can get into the MNC because they came in the "tough" SEC. It's a reinforcing cycle that won't begin to be stopped until a team beats a SEC school in the MNC. But just because Alabama may win the title this year doesn't mean the SEC top to bottom is the greatest conference ever, it just means Alabama is a great team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football