Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:45 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,477,660 times

Advertisements

Connecticut: in football probably Rutgers and or Syracuse. For a while NCAA football had our rival as Buffalo (lol), not sure if thats still the case, since I haven't played that series in a while.
In basketball: Syracuse, St. John's (though its not a rival when one team has sucked for 10 years though), and to a lesser extent Providence, Georgetown and maybe even Nova.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 03:20 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,900,117 times
Auburn: Alabama is our biggest rivalry. IMO it is the most intense college rivalry in the country. We also have a very longstanding rivalry with Georgia, but that rivalry is friendlier. After those two we have a minor rivalry with LSU and used to have one with Florida, but that got diminished when we stopped playing them every year.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:40 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,467,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Auburn: Alabama is our biggest rivalry. IMO it is the most intense college rivalry in the country. We also have a very longstanding rivalry with Georgia, but that rivalry is friendlier. After those two we have a minor rivalry with LSU and used to have one with Florida, but that got diminished when we stopped playing them every year.
I don't know about that. The Colorado State University - Fort Collins/ CU Boulder rivalry is pretty intense. They even name the game the Rocky Mountain Showdown and is played at Mile Hi Stadium in Denver.

Some information on it:

The Rocky Mountain Showdown is an American college football rivalry game played annually by the Colorado Buffaloes football team of the University of Colorado and the Colorado State Rams football team of Colorado State University. The winner of the game receives the Centennial Cup. The series began in 1893 and was played annually (with a few exceptions) until 1958. The series was resurrected in 1983 and played periodically until it was cemented as an annual rivalry in 1995.

The link: Rocky Mountain Showdown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-28-2012, 09:03 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
This. Nothing even comes remotely close to the intensity of the Auburn/Alabama rivalry. Auburn's rivalry with Georgia remains pretty friendly, and we have a grudging mutual respect for LSU. But Alabama is nothing but good old-fashioned hatred. For they are the forces of evil and darkness and must be destroyed.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:11 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,477,660 times
Auburn/Alabama and OSU/Michigan are the 2 most intense rivalries in football. Nothing else is even close.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:33 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,314,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
This. Nothing even comes remotely close to the intensity of the Auburn/Alabama rivalry. Auburn's rivalry with Georgia remains pretty friendly, and we have a grudging mutual respect for LSU. But Alabama is nothing but good old-fashioned hatred. For they are the forces of evil and darkness and must be destroyed.
Hahaha. It is true, but Auburn is on the side of darkness.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:56 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Clemson: South Carolina will always be the top rival. Florida State has built into a rivarly as well. A conference rival that I find very interesting is with Georgia Tech. I've spoken with GT fans who say the same thing; there is a rivalry but it's a good natured and respectful one which is interesting to see. It's different from any I've seen.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:55 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,509,122 times
I root for THEE Ohio State.

Our main rival is Ann Arbor College for Women.
And we have developed a nice rivarly with Penn State and Wisconsin over the years.
And I would throw in Sparty also.
Unfortunately, we won't play Nebraska enough to develop a rivarly.

It cracks me up that OSU fans think we have a rivarly with Notre Dame. We have only played them 5 times in 120 years. lols. And we're 4-1 against them !!

I don't follow OSU basketball but the rivarly there is Indiana.

Most intense football rivalaries in no particular order:
Utah-BYU
Alabama-Auburn
Ohio State- team up north
West Virginia-Pittsburgh (which is on hold right now)
USC-UCLA

Old 09-29-2012, 03:13 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,190,309 times
I think it is a shame Nebraska and Wisconsin wont be playing every season. I feel much more of a rival feeling for the game with Wiscy tonight that I do for Iowa.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:35 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,509,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
I think it is a shame Nebraska and Wisconsin wont be playing every season. I feel much more of a rival feeling for the game with Wiscy tonight that I do for Iowa.
I agree. And they should move Wisconsin to the West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football