Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 08:24 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,348,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Be honest... We both live in GA and are forced to subscribe to the constant UGA bias but I do not think its all SEC. What most people outside of SEC country fail to realize is that we HATE each other in the conference. I F'ing hate UGA, FL, SC, and especially Bama!!!!

BUT I will defend them when they are attacked by anyone except me... ;-)
Me too, as far as the defense of the SEC. I am a Bama fan, but yes, I will defend the other SEC teams when someone from another conference picks on them. I think it is a Southern thing...lol.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:37 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,917,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
Oregon has Arizona, Washington, and USC.

Kansas State has Oklahoma, West Virginia, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State.

But I believe you were joking hence the faces.
Those are in conference fact genius... We are talking OOC. You can't even remember the points you bring up...

Quote:
And how many non-conference wins are against ranked opponents for currently ranked SEC teams? One.
Now wipe that egg off your face.

If we are talking in conf. Bama is the first team ever to play 3 straight top 15 teams on a schedule.

Miss State, LSU, TAM...

Last edited by Mr. GE; 11-14-2012 at 05:51 AM..

Old 11-14-2012, 04:50 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,917,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
But that's what I don't understand. Being a Notre Dame fan I don't have a conference affiliation so perhaps I'll never understand it but I always go back to pro football. I'm a Minnesota Vikings fan but I'll be damned if I ever cheer for the Packers, Bears, or Lions to do well. I don't understand the idea of cheering for the teams I hate in the biggest games...it just seems antithetical to everything I do the rest of the year. By the way, who is your team? LSU? Auburn?
Again, you are mistaken defending for cheering.

It tickles me to death to see UGA and Bama lose in conference. But when hacks talk about how the conf is overrated its an indirect shot at your school. So OOC loses become bad for everyone in the conference. So in conf loses are the only loses you can enjoy. Because if anyone loses OOC your team gets a Knock on them because they are in the conference. And again it's not cheering as much as it is a defense and dependency.

I'm a Vols fan... the Vols don't have a natural rivalry with LSU or Auburn hence why I didn't mention them. They are non-factors to Vols fans.

I do think ND not belonging to a conf contributes to you not understanding conf pride. The distinction I would make when you compare it to the NFL is culture. The NFL fans are transplants many times. They are not necessarily from that city or area. In CFB that's not generally the case. Most people will be from the state and region that they are fans of... So thee is a almost a family rivalry bond so to speak. Which is exactly what the pride is about. People love to beat their siblings but they don't want anyone else beating them.

Last edited by Mr. GE; 11-14-2012 at 05:02 AM..

Old 11-14-2012, 04:08 PM

5,864 posts, read 5,022,213 times
Quote:
Oregon has Arizona, Washington, and USC.

Kansas State has Oklahoma, West Virginia, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State.

But I believe you were joking hence the faces.
He was talking about OOC wins against quality opponents.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Again, you are mistaken defending for cheering.

It tickles me to death to see UGA and Bama lose in conference. But when hacks talk about how the conf is overrated its an indirect shot at your school. So OOC loses become bad for everyone in the conference. So in conf loses are the only loses you can enjoy. Because if anyone loses OOC your team gets a Knock on them because they are in the conference. And again it's not cheering as much as it is a defense and dependency.

I'm a Vols fan... the Vols don't have a natural rivalry with LSU or Auburn hence why I didn't mention them. They are non-factors to Vols fans.

I do think ND not belonging to a conf contributes to you not understanding conf pride. The distinction I would make when you compare it to the NFL is culture. The NFL fans are transplants many times. They are not necessarily from that city or area. In CFB that's not generally the case. Most people will be from the state and region that they are fans of... So thee is a almost a family rivalry bond so to speak. Which is exactly what the pride is about. People love to beat their siblings but they don't want anyone else beating them.
I guess I can see that but I think you're right, I'll never understand it. I just plain hate all of Notre Dame's rivals; MSU, Purdue, Pitt, USC, and most of all Michigan. BC considers us their rival but we don't take Backup College seriously enough to consider them our rival.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:40 PM

934 posts, read 1,358,525 times
Georgia hates Tennessee, Florida and South Carolina but is also invested in their success. The better they look, the better UGA looks when we smash them to pieces. Its not complicated at all. And if in bowl season the SEC teams dominates against OOC teams, it sends out the message that iron sharpens iron and the SEC is battle tested.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:07 AM

What happens if the Irish lose to SC? Another SEC vs SEC championship game?

Old 11-18-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
What happens if the Irish lose to SC? Another SEC vs SEC championship game?
Well I think part of it depends. If Notre Dame falters, Stanford loses to UCLA, and Oregon beats OSU and then UCLA I think Oregon will go. However if Stanford beats UCLA and Florida beats FSU then yes another SEC/SEC nightmare would be upon us haha. Just think River_Dawg, you are a few teams losing away from the "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" being played out in the MNC.

But I hope ND just takes care of business against USC.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:22 AM

I have to be honest, I would not like that rematch one bit. It reminds me of LSU/Bama last year. Bama got the last laugh in that series. My favorite matchup is GA vs Notre Dame, a championship rematch.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
I have to be honest, I would not like that rematch one bit. It reminds me of LSU/Bama last year. Bama got the last laugh in that series. My favorite matchup is GA vs Notre Dame, a championship rematch.
Man if I didn't live in Georgia and have to put up with Georgia fans for the whole month leading up to that game I would love that game. If your defense comes to play it'd be very hard for us and I could see that game being very low scoring.

I should have shut this thread down some time ago due to dozens of off topic posts. And like some of the posters said when it first started, it is an odd thread.

It's also a done thread.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-18-2012 at 11:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football