Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:27 AM

2,320 posts, read 4,002,876 times

Advertisements

Notre Dame joining ACC as non-football member - NCAA Football - SI.com

Quote:
Notre Dame has announced that all sports but football and hockey are leaving the Big East for the ACC, a move that will require the Irish to play five football games against ACC opponents each season.
Personally I don't like it. You're either in all the way or out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 11:07 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,930,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Notre Dame joining ACC as non-football member - NCAA Football - SI.com

ND was demanding that from every conference. It is not like they would have improved ACC football. I'm just glad they didn't go to the Big 12 would have been a bad fit.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:22 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,362,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post

I agree, but somehow ND always gets what ND wants. With the huge new exit fee for the ACC, are all the talks of FSU/Clemson/GT to the BIG12, MD and VA to the B1G and VA Tech to the SEC done and over?

Old 09-12-2012, 12:17 PM

203 posts, read 328,131 times
This is the beginning of a scenario I played with a few months ago. Here is what I imagined might happen next....

1) Notre Dame non-football sports join ACC

2) Louisville and Cincinnati are discouraged with the outlook for BigEast basketball, and the conference in general, and they jointly apply to enter the Big12.

3) While the Big12 considers their application Boise and Sand Diego State, renege on their plan to join the conference, and stay in the Mountain West's 11th and 12th spots.

4) The 7 remaining non-football schools of the Big East collectively decide to form a new non-football conference and invite other catholic basketball schools starting with Xavier, Duquesne, and St. Joseph's

5) The Big East plans to dissolve in 2014

6) The ACC and the Orange bowl come to the rescue! The ACC will plan to expand to 24 teams and then effectively split into two semi-autonomous conference that will meet every year in the Orange Bowl, and have schedule obligations in Basketball and Football (alignment shown below). The alignments are largely designed to enlist Notre Dame into joining the conference.

7) Eventually the other conference that have official associations with Jan-1st Bowl game decide that they will function as the quarterfinals of the national championship tournament and will be seeded a commission. Some other school's change conference affiliations, and the 4th quarterfinal bowl is affiliated with 4 conferences, but picks the 2 highest-ranked conference champions.

* I call the new semi-conferences of the ACC the North Atlantic Conference, and South Atlantic Conference (NAC/SAC)

Last edited by jasomm; 09-12-2012 at 12:45 PM..

Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 PM

922 posts, read 1,708,992 times
^ biggest problem with what you keep posting is that the schools you have joining these conferences add absolutely nothing.

Those schools do nothing but dilute whatever conference they would join.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:51 PM

2,320 posts, read 4,002,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
I agree, but somehow ND always gets what ND wants. With the huge new exit fee for the ACC, are all the talks of FSU/Clemson/GT to the BIG12, MD and VA to the B1G and VA Tech to the SEC done and over?
I don't even like the idea of Notre Dame being a full-fledged member of the ACC. Other than academics, the two have nothing in common. That in and of itself is not enough for me.

I'm also weary of the perception that the ACC is a poacher. At this point, I'd much rather the ACC issue invites to small non-BCS schools, both academically and geographically correct, (e.g., Delaware and William & Mary), on the condition those schools upgrade their athletic programs.

But I believe the football schools in the ACC were behind this move, as I'm sure those schools initiated the invitations to Pittsburgh and Syracuse (to lure ND).

I suspect the next big move will involve the ACC. It'll rock B1G and the Big Twelve. Penn State will become the 16th ACC member school.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:57 PM

DTX: You could make that arguement that in the ACC (NAC/SAC) as shown. But any school with lack luster on-field football achievements recently add value in either TV market basketball, academics, or enticing Notre Dame football and sometimes several of those categories.

The Big12 is getting pressure from the SEC (and the 'Champions' Bowl) to expand. Louisville and Cincy are above average in both Football and basketball, and add new markets. BYU doesnt seem interested in joining, and definitely not ND now.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:03 PM

nobody is leaving the BigTen.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:16 PM

922 posts, read 1,708,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasomm View Post
you could argue that in the ACC (NAC/SAC) as shown, but every school adds value in either basketball, academics, or enticing Notre Dame football and sometimes several of those categories.

The Big12 is getting pressure from the SEC (and the 'Champions' Bowl) to expand. Louisville and Cincy are above average in both Football and basketball, and add new markets. BYU doesnt seem interested in joining, and definitely not ND now.
Yes, Like I said those schools only dilute whatever conference they would join.

And as long as the Big 12 & SEC have relatively the same num. of teams ranked, then the disparity between the leagues isn't as big as people are making it out to be.

Last edited by DtX4415; 09-12-2012 at 01:32 PM..

Old 09-12-2012, 01:18 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,930,194 times
Likewise no big 12 member is leaving for the ACC. The ACC is still a lackluster football conference but adding ND cements it as a basketball conference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football