Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 03:38 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,926 times

Advertisements

ND going to the ACC was the best fit for the school. The academic standing of the ACC makes it the best choice for ND.

The payout per school from the new Espn contract will be about $17m a season. Since ND now makes around $15M a season from its NBC deal, with a little financial adjustment to account for ND it is easy to see that down the road ND will become a full fledged member of the ACC. They will be playing five Acc football teams already in their current move to the ACC-----the exposure with playing V Tech, FSU, Clemson, Miami, G Tech, and North Carolina in Acc schedule is a good fit.

I think with the current financial windfall deals the conferences were landing, the signs have been pointing to ND eventually joining a conference for football----and I believe they will with the ACC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 04:32 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,217 times
I find it interesting that ND says it's highest rivalry priorities remain with the west coast and Navy, leaving their B1G annual games in question. From a recruiting stance, this makes sense but sadly we may be adding yet more rivalry matchups (WV-PITT, TX-TXam, and so many others) to the list of games no longer played.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:56 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,326 times
Not a fan of ND coming. I guess this means UConn will be next.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:58 AM

203 posts, read 326,452 times
Even though Navy sucks at Basketball, I think they would make the next best 15th school for the ACC to go convince ND to become the 16th football school. You figure the ACC could make a schedule system that guarantees ND plays BC, Navy, Pitt, Miami, GA tech (maybe Cuse too). Plus you add the MD-Navy match up, and Navy is viable in Football, academics, and fan support in its own right.

As a UConn Alum I really hope Uconn gets into the ACC somehow, but I doubt it. Rutgers has better hold of the NYC market, and UConn does nothing to entice ND football to join. A shame though, I thought UConn football could turn into something impressive if Edsall didnt leave for Maryland, and the BigEast kept recruiting interests in the Northeast.

Last edited by jasomm; 09-13-2012 at 10:08 AM..

Old 09-13-2012, 11:37 AM

203 posts, read 326,452 times
The notion that Notre Dame is considering cutting its BigTen football rivalries is absurd!

Here are ND's rivalries (some less recognized than others) and # of games played:
Navy(84), Purdue(83), USC(82), MSU(79), Pitt(65), Army(50), NW(47), UM(39), GA tech(34), AF(29), Stan(25), Miami(24), BC(21), PSU(18), Neb(16)

I still maintain that the best option for EVERYONE, would be if the BigTen invites Pitt and ND before they officially get involved with the ACC. Though the ACC would certainly sue that at this point... they should have acted faster.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:46 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasomm View Post
The notion that Notre Dame is considering cutting its BigTen football rivalries is absurd!
I doubt they'd be cancelling them, but talk is ND might play these teams in alternate years. One year Purdue, next year UM or something similiar. ND did say the west coast teams and Navy are a bigger priority then the B1G games.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:11 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasomm View Post
I still maintain that the best option for EVERYONE, would be if the BigTen invites Pitt and ND before they officially get involved with the ACC. Though the ACC would certainly sue that at this point... they should have acted faster.

It's obvious that ND does not want to be in the B1G... if they did they would be in it!

I suspect there is still some animosity that was passed down to this generation from when the Big Ten blackballed ND WAAAAAAAAY before any of us were born. That's the only logical explanation I can think of because for all intents and purposes. ND should be in the B1G!

Old 09-13-2012, 03:08 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
It's obvious that ND does not want to be in the B1G... if they did they would be in it!

I suspect there is still some animosity that was passed down to this generation from when the Big Ten blackballed ND WAAAAAAAAY before any of us were born. That's the only logical explanation I can think of because for all intents and purposes. ND should be in the B1G!
not so. If wasn't a case that ND did not want the B10; it was a case that the B10 would never consider a partial member. the B10 is an association of equals.

and the idea that a school would like to leave it is ludicrous. it is by far the most stable conference in the nation. can we remember for a moment that college football is about COLLEGES. and those colleges in the B10 love their common academics and their academic/research constorium (CIC0 that they share with former conference member Chicago.

The Big Ten has no desire to go for broke on any conference alignment issue; they still treasure the academic portion of the puzzle. I would say culturally the Pac 12 is the conference more like the B10 in this respect.

As for Notre Dame:

I'm sorry, but if you are slated to schedule 5 schools in football within the conference that you belong, even if these are non-confernece games, well...

I'd say if you are playing FIVE (5!!!!!!) conference foes, you ARE a member of a conference. Independence makes you, well, independent, and those 5 games have interdependence written all over them.

so five ACC foes are automatic, including Wake, NC State, VT, etc., who don't have any (or much) history with ND. then you find that USC, Navy and STANFORD!!!!! are protected rivalries, but only one school in the midwest, Purdue, gets that status. So i'm to believe that Stanford is a bigger and more traditional rival of ND than is U-M or MSU? Really?

I'm hoping that the Spartans totally and thoroughly kick butt in East Lansing on Saturday night. GO SPARTANS. And I hope the Chicago Tribune ceases to see Notre Dame as a home town team. I don't know if there is a Charlotte Tribune or a Talahassee Tribune, but if there are, maybe they can make the Irish the home town team.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:50 PM

922 posts, read 1,697,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I suspect there is still some animosity that was passed down to this generation from when the Big Ten blackballed ND WAAAAAAAAY before any of us were born. That's the only logical explanation I can think of because for all intents and purposes.
Steam cell research & CIC Money.

And they do not want to become "the third team in Indiana" - they see the Big Ten as a regional conference that is losing popularity.

Last edited by DtX4415; 09-13-2012 at 04:00 PM..

Old 09-13-2012, 05:18 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtX4415 View Post
Steam cell research & CIC Money.

And they do not want to become "the third team in Indiana" - they see the Big Ten as a regional conference that is losing popularity.
where is there Big Ten losing popularity? certainly not in Big Ten country. which, quite frankly, is what the Big Ten really cares about. The Big Ten has no desire to be the SEC. We have an alternative for it in B10 country; it's called the NFL.

the Big Ten and the Pac Ten, back in the day, were the last to join the BCS. they really weren't all that keen about it. in fact, they were happy to end the season in Pasadena which is where both felt it should be ended.

so, I don't know, Dt, maybe you are right. Maybe the Big Ten is losing popularity in other regions. but we don't really care. we love the conference in its old footprint and we love the academics as much as we do the athletics. and, yes, you'd be right to say the B10 will no doubt never be able to truly compete with the SEC. and that' fine with us. the national championship may be nice, but it is just one factor of the game we love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football