Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 12:14 PM

934 posts, read 1,348,826 times

Advertisements

In a playoff system you are gonna get quit a few of those SEC vs SEC mathups because they are soo dominant right now. Its now not the best TV sometime but if its your team it a great feeling when your team scores a dominate defense. Most of the teams in the top ten are SEC teams..........Unless the conference championship game is the first round of they elimination process. Meaning you have to win your division and conference..... Match those teams up in bowl games(Sugar, Orange, Rose and Fiesta) and whoever is number 1 and 2 after those game (style points are a factor) play for the title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 03:29 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,046,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
In a playoff system you are gonna get quit a few of those SEC vs SEC mathups because they are soo dominant right now. Its now not the best TV sometime but if its your team it a great feeling when your team scores a dominate defense. Most of the teams in the top ten are SEC teams..........Unless the conference championship game is the first round of they elimination process. Meaning you have to win your division and conference..... Match those teams up in bowl games(Sugar, Orange, Rose and Fiesta) and whoever is number 1 and 2 after those game (style points are a factor) play for the title.
The key words are "right now". Go back to 2000 and look at the final AP top 10:

1. Oklahoma
2. Miami
3. Washington
4. Oregon State
5. Florida State
6. Virginia Tech
7. Oregon
8. Nebraska
9. Kansas State
10. Florida

One SEC team in the top 10 at #10, and not another one in the top 25 until #17. It's hard to imagine that college football has changed that much is 12 years, but it has. Teams come and go, and another conference will be considered the strongest in the NCAA in the near future.

Who remembers Oregon State being ranked that high? I don't...I guess OSU fans remember.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:28 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,898,966 times
^^^^

Convenient for you to use that year...

When the year before in 1999 they had 7 teams in the final top 25. 2 in the top ten.

And the year after in 2001 they had 5 in the final top 25... 2 in the top 5.

Just saying...

Old 09-14-2012, 05:36 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,462,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
The key words are "right now". Go back to 2000 and look at the final AP top 10:

1. Oklahoma
2. Miami
3. Washington
4. Oregon State
5. Florida State
6. Virginia Tech
7. Oregon
8. Nebraska
9. Kansas State
10. Florida

One SEC team in the top 10 at #10, and not another one in the top 25 until #17. It's hard to imagine that college football has changed that much is 12 years, but it has. Teams come and go, and another conference will be considered the strongest in the NCAA in the near future.

Who remembers Oregon State being ranked that high? I don't...I guess OSU fans remember.
That was one mean Beaver team and I would have bet they would have had a darn good shot for a Natty that year (and I'm a Duck). Better question would be, who remembers Ocho Cinco was on that Beaver team?

Old 09-14-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
^^^^

Convenient for you to use that year...

When the year before in 1999 they had 7 teams in the final top 25. 2 in the top ten.

And the year after in 2001 they had 5 in the final top 25... 2 in the top 5.

Just saying...
That was the only year I happened to look up...good stab I guess. But my point still stands. Teams come and go, and dominance in any sport is fleeting. College football can vary from year to year, and it's not always the same teams/leagues on top.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
That was one mean Beaver team and I would have bet they would have had a darn good shot for a Natty that year (and I'm a Duck). Better question would be, who remembers Ocho Cinco was on that Beaver team?
Yeah, I didn't know that...good trivia!

Old 09-14-2012, 09:16 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,614,799 times
This thread lacks predictions big time. Too late now. Oh well, I tried. Thanks to those who participated. We'll wait and see.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:07 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
That was the only year I happened to look up...good stab I guess. But my point still stands. Teams come and go, and dominance in any sport is fleeting. College football can vary from year to year, and it's not always the same teams leagues on top.
Tar heel... No one is debating this more than obvious statement. While you believe you are somehow enlightening us with some breaking news, you are not. We know know different teams and leagues can have a few years of dominance.

However... The SEC's dominance (generally speaking) in the last 25 years cannot be disputed. And it's not just from a national championship perspective. The league consistently puts the most draft picks and players in the NFL. They average the most attendance. They generate the most revenue. They have the highest ratings.

All of these things are a trend. It speaks to many things... Things that are beyond the reach of this sports thread.

But the bottom line is the SEC is and has been the most dominant collegiate sports league for a long time.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:29 AM

934 posts, read 1,348,826 times
Football is a big deal in the south that why the SEC is going to win its seventh BCS title. Its Georgia's turn.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Tar heel... No one is debating this more than obvious statement. While you believe you are somehow enlightening us with some breaking news, you are not. We know know different teams and leagues can have a few years of dominance.

However... The SEC's dominance (generally speaking) in the last 25 years cannot be disputed. And it's not just from a national championship perspective. The league consistently puts the most draft picks and players in the NFL. They average the most attendance. They generate the most revenue. They have the highest ratings.

All of these things are a trend. It speaks to many things... Things that are beyond the reach of this sports thread.

But the bottom line is the SEC is and has been the most dominant collegiate sports league for a long time.
You're wrong about that...some people ARE debating it. You may not be, but you don't speak for everyone. From the things that people post, some truly don't understand that sports are cyclical - football included. You can try to belittle what I said if you want...it's not a big deal to me.

SEC the most dominant college sports league? I think you mean football league...you better check your notes on that one. "Sports" implies much more than football, and the SEC is nowhere near dominant in all other college sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football