Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,656,539 times

Advertisements

Who plays? Who wins? We'll revisit in January. Don't be coming with your "picks" after week one.

I'm going with Oregon over 'Bama. I know the odds are against 'Bama making it back but I'll still let it roll.

I think UO goes undefeated.

*This thread will close on August 30 and will possibly re-open around January 7th.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 08-21-2012 at 09:42 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 10:28 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,358,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
Who plays? Who wins? We'll revisit in January. Don't be coming with your "picks" after week one.

I'm going with Oregon over 'Bama. I know the odds are against 'Bama making it back but I'll still let it roll.

I think UO goes undefeated.

*This thread will close on August 30 and will possibly re-open around January 7th.
You could definitely make a strong case for those picks -- I've thought about that pairing myself. This could end up being a lot like the LSU-Bama situation last year, except these two would get a chance to settle the score once and for all in the PAC 12 title game. I think the team that wins the first game will lose the second one. I would probably pick USC to win at home, but I look at Oregon to go the distance and win the rematch in the PAC 12 title game, which would probably put the Ducks in a good position to play in the final top-two only BCS title game.

The SEC is again really heavy on top, with questionable depth from top to bottom. At the top, though, are Alabama and LSU in the West and Georgia and South Carolina in the East. I saw glimpses of what Georgia could become this year, and I think they're for real. I like LSU in a revenge game at home. Not necessarily because they're better, but because they're hungrier and have a pretty good home record under Les Miles. This year, though, Bama may not be able to count on getting the benefit of the doubt -- too many other potentially good teams out there. LSU would face Georgia in the SEC title game and who knows how that would turn out. I think Georgia might have some revenge on their minds...and I think Georgia wins.

Georgia vs. Oregon.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,656,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
You could definitely make a strong case for those picks -- I've thought about that pairing myself. This could end up being a lot like the LSU-Bama situation last year, except these two would get a chance to settle the score once and for all in the PAC 12 title game. I think the team that wins the first game will lose the second one. I would probably pick USC to win at home, but I look at Oregon to go the distance and win the rematch in the PAC 12 title game, which would probably put the Ducks in a good position to play in the final top-two only BCS title game.

The SEC is again really heavy on top, with questionable depth from top to bottom. At the top, though, are Alabama and LSU in the West and Georgia and South Carolina in the East. I saw glimpses of what Georgia could become this year, and I think they're for real. I like LSU in a revenge game at home. Not necessarily because they're better, but because they're hungrier and have a pretty good home record under Les Miles. This year, though, Bama may not be able to count on getting the benefit of the doubt -- too many other potentially good teams out there. LSU would face Georgia in the SEC title game and who knows how that would turn out. I think Georgia might have some revenge on their minds...and I think Georgia wins.

Georgia vs. Oregon.
You have to pick a winner. It's the rules.

UGA won't be top 15 come December.

I do "like" your picks though.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 08-21-2012 at 10:59 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 12:19 AM

5,549 posts, read 9,580,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post

Georgia vs. Oregon.
Georgiana in the title game? If the Dawgs make it, I think that would be solid evidence that the SEC is pretty down this year.

I normally would be a homer and just automatically throw the Crimson&Cream in there, but the Big XII is pretty wide open this year so . . .

I'll go with USC/Bammer with the Fighting Contraceptives finally stealing one away from SEC.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
You have to pick a winner. It's the rules.

UGA won't be top 15 come December.

I do "like" your picks though.
Oregon will win the national championship.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Georgiana in the title game? If the Dawgs make it, I think that would be solid evidence that the SEC is pretty down this year.

I normally would be a homer and just automatically throw the Crimson&Cream in there, but the Big XII is pretty wide open this year so . . .

I'll go with USC/Bammer with the Fighting Contraceptives finally stealing one away from SEC.
SEC is still strong, but regardless of who comes outta the SEC this year, I think they're going to be taking on competition that's a bit more game than in the past. Oregon came damn close to taking out Auburn in 2010/11, and they would have been competitive against Alabama or LSU, both of whom were in contention that year but lost close games. I don't think it's really a case of SEC being weak - it's perpetually strong. It's a matter of whether the other conferences have the strength at the top to match the Alabama's, LSUs, Floridas, or Auburns. And I think this is the year you can add Georgia to the mix. What people forget, too, is that the same year that LSU won its last national title, 2007/8, Georgia also had a two-loss season but because they lost to Tennessee they did not get a shot at LSU in the SEC title game. The Dawgs did, however, go out and stomp a talented passing team in Hawaii, and they did it with D. And I think that's what they've got this year, a team with a good QB, a solid passing game, an average (by SEC standards) running attack...but a clamp-down, stuff-your-@ss defense. I think Georgia's defense is going to surprise some folks this year. I just don't think it will be enough to stop Oregon.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:55 AM

27 posts, read 36,514 times
Lsu.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:36 AM

709 posts, read 1,408,765 times
USC

And that is almost as hard for me to admit as a Bruin as it would be to pick OU as a Longhorn.

But I think it will be USC vs LSU with USC winning the game.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:11 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,914,704 times
See my post from another thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
...I think USC is a shoe in for one half of the Natty Game simply because of their schedule.

So that leaves the battle for who Their opponent will be:

1)Alabama - yes they lost a lot of players... But Saban is the best coach and recruiter in the country so guys will emerge this year. The reason I have them as the #1 possibility is because of McCarron's experience. He really stepped up in that Natty Game last year. That's the kind of thing that seems to stay with QBs. Alabama's biggest obstacle is their schedule. It's tough...

2)Oklahoma - They certainly have the offensive talent to beat anyone in the country. Their defense is still very Big12ish though... Which means it is something to be desired. The only reason I don't have them #1 is because of Big Game Stoops... But no conf championship game will help.

3)Georgia - the team is loaded... They got rid of their bad seed Crowell. So that may help them overall. Plus they have the easiest schedule in SEC history. They do not play Bama, LSU, or ARK. Their biggest game is South Carolina. Their problem is the same as OU's. Richt has a history of being good but not great. So even if they run the table and get to Atlanta for the SEC championship, they have a good chance of losing.

4)Florida State/Clemson - I have these two together because I couldn't decide who had the upper hand. I really think both have a legitimate shot. FSU just needs the EJ Manual to play up to his potential. Their D is solid. Clemson is the opposite... They need their D to stop someone. Offensively they are as good as anyone in the country. After the Orange Bowl disaster they will need to do a gut check though. And step up to their competition.

5)LSU/Oregon - both of these teams are perennial contenders. Talent is not a problem. Coaching is not a problem. But both have new QBs taking over. That's the X factor. Their chances depend on the QB play. LSU's schedule doesn't help them... the SEC West is just a rough draw. And Oregon will have to deal with USC. and I don't foresee two teams in the same conference playing in the Natty again.
Having said all that... I have USC vs OK in the natty because no SEC team will be undefeated. (I think Georgia has the best chance though).

In my scenario I think USC will win the Natty...

*If an SEC team plays in the Natty in place of OK, I would have them regardless of which one it was*

Old 08-22-2012, 10:57 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,834,468 times
This is the season Florida State returns to national prominence. They get Clemson and Florida at home. The biggest test will come at Virginia Tech later on in the season. Losing that game could hurt their chances big time since the game happens later in the season.

OU has a tough stretch near the end. Trips to West Virginia and TCU and a home date with OK State. They do have a nice easy stretch in the middle with ND, Kansas, Iowa State and Baylor to tune up for the final 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football