Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 09:17 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,883,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I think the Big 12 should have took Florida St. and Clemson when they had the chance.
The issue was they didnt add enough money. Right now the position the Big 12 is very profitable. Adding FSU or Clemson would have hurt it. Same with Lville but even moreso. Maybe Clemson and someone else, but they wouldnt leave without FSU. They wouldnt have made bad additions, but honestly they can always be picked up later. IF/when the ACC gets raided it is going to get raided hard by several conferences picking who they want. The biggest threats are from the SEC and Big 10 who might decide to move into NC and VA. Also I think the Big 10 adding BC wouldnt be a bad move as it would give them control of NE to the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
They never had a chance. Neither ACC school would have left. SEC maybe, Big 12 no way.

The 4 team playoff is decided by a committee; no automatic tie-ins.
Still conference based. It isnt going to be a big change, but at least it will ensure a small playoff to letter better teams play each other.

Both schools would have left had the Big 12 accepted that, but they didnt bring enough money. On the one hand those schools would make good additions football wise, but they would hurt revenue payouts so it wasnt worth it. Stop being bitter about this, it wasnt because you were a bad team.

Anyway I hate to break this to you, and I know you want FSU out of the ACC, but that out is not going to be the SEC. They are not going to take either FSU or Clemson. They have teams in those states. If they do expand it will be in NC and Virginia. Again it isnt because FSU or Clemson suck, but rather it goes against their policy and they are not violating it when those teams dont add enough value. FSU did blow it going to the ACC over the SEC , but hey every team makes mistakes.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:39 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,514,140 times
Quote:
They never had a chance. Neither ACC school would have left. SEC maybe, Big 12 no way.

The 4 team playoff is decided by a committee; no automatic tie-ins.
I wouldn't say no chance. At the time it looked like the B1G and the SEC were eyeing ACC teams. The Big XII provided a more financially viable Plan B than the ACC at the time. Now that the ACC has solidified I think it's more likely that the Big XII gets blown up in the endgame because it is landlocked and cannot add any quality teams and is the only major conference without a championship game. the Big XII will get penalized more times than not by the selection committee. When that happens look for Oklahoma and Texas to jump ship. I definitely see OU in the SEC West eventually with Texas going to the B1G or indy. Bad thing is that Oklahoma State might get left out because it can't deliver the TV markets. We'll see.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I wouldn't say no chance. At the time it looked like the B1G and the SEC were eyeing ACC teams. The Big XII provided a more financially viable Plan B than the ACC at the time. Now that the ACC has solidified I think it's more likely that the Big XII gets blown up in the endgame because it is landlocked and cannot add any quality teams and is the only major conference without a championship game. the Big XII will get penalized more times than not by the selection committee. When that happens look for Oklahoma and Texas to jump ship. I definitely see OU in the SEC West eventually with Texas going to the B1G or indy. Bad thing is that Oklahoma State might get left out because it can't deliver the TV markets. We'll see.
It hasn't solidified. ACC is still very vulenerable. However Big 12 is not much better off. ACC will be the first to get raided and while the big 12 is much more secure than the ACC it is still at risk. However Big 12 is making bank so there is no real reason for teams to want to leave especially UT.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:54 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,454,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It hasn't solidified. ACC is still very vulenerable. However Big 12 is not much better off. ACC will be the first to get raided and while the big 12 is much more secure than the ACC it is still at risk. However Big 12 is making bank so there is no real reason for teams to want to leave especially UT.
ACC just expanded and their teams are showing up on the big stage in college football. The ACC is creating their own network just like the other conferences. This will provide more revenue to the conference. The ACC is already #1 in the next best revenue sport i.e. Basketball. It is just a matter of time before they renegiotate their tv contracts. If FSU makes the title game, it will happen sooner than later.

The Big 12 has lost some valuable members. Mizzou is leading the SEC East and Texas A&M has one of the hottest players in college football. They might have a strong contract now but I wouldn't be surprised if the contract is alot lighter next go around, especially with how the Big 12 is currently playing. I agree with Bass that it is just a matter of time when the two big dogs (TX, OK) leave for conferences with title games.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
ACC just expanded and their teams are showing up on the big stage in college football. The ACC is creating their own network just like the other conferences. This will provide more revenue to the conference. The ACC is already #1 in the next best revenue sport i.e. Basketball. It is just a matter of time before they renegiotate their tv contracts. If FSU makes the title game, it will happen sooner than later.

The Big 12 has lost some valuable members. Mizzou is leading the SEC East and Texas A&M has one of the hottest players in college football. They might have a strong contract now but I wouldn't be surprised if the contract is alot lighter next go around, especially with how the Big 12 is currently playing. I agree with Bass that it is just a matter of time when the two big dogs (TX, OK) leave for conferences with title games.
Nobody cares about an ACC network, at least not in football. The fact remains they get paid chump change. Basketball makes much less than football that is why the ACC payout is laughed at by everyone. It is why FSU was losing money for years.

Lville while a good football team is not a profitable team. it is only going to hurt your payout.

Big 12 makes money ACC doesnt. It is just a matter of time until ACC teams like Clemson, UNC, UVA, etc leave the conference. I hope your FSU gets out too. Maybe big 12 will get raided too, it is possible but since it makes money unlike the ACC it is less likely.

The ACC cant even keep mediocre teams in it with a $50 million exit fee. That is downright pathetic. Look I know you support the ACC because it is where you are stuck but you need to realize they are hurting your FSU both football wise and payout wise. The conference is doomed. Personally I dont want them in the big 12, and they were right to reject FSU's plea to join, however, you arent getting into the SEC. What is best for your school is to get out of the ACC. That ship has been sinking for awhile.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:40 PM

[quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31786317][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31729903][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31609377][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31540848][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31425967][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31345071]

Week#8
Baylor (A) (destroyed a team that gave Texas fits, but can't get the A+ cause it's Iowa St.)
Texas Tech (A-) (won in a tough environment and pulled away when needed)
Oklahoma State (B-) (finally played Chelf and pulled away from a stingy TCU defense, still issues on offense)
Oklahoma (C-) (against a decent team the Sooners would have lost, same issue as TCU, abysmal offense)
Kansas (C-) (gave OU all they wanted, but the special teams/kicking game was horrible)
Texas Christian (D+) (kudos for keeping it close, but there is virtually zero offense for the Horny Toads)
West Virginia (D+) (as usual opportunistic on special teams, clearly needs more consistency, needs more athletes)
Iowa State (F) (NO defense....could you at least hold them to under 50?!)

Old 10-21-2013, 09:27 PM

[quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31902904][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31786317][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31729903][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31609377][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31540848][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31425967]
Quote:

Week#8
Baylor (A) (destroyed a team that gave Texas fits, but can't get the A+ cause it's Iowa St.)
Texas Tech (A-) (won in a tough environment and pulled away when needed)
Oklahoma State (B-) (finally played Chelf and pulled away from a stingy TCU defense, still issues on offense)
Oklahoma (C-) (against a decent team the Sooners would have lost, same issue as TCU, abysmal offense)
Kansas (C-) (gave OU all they wanted, but the special teams/kicking game was horrible)
Texas Christian (D+) (kudos for keeping it close, but there is virtually zero offense for the Horny Toads)
West Virginia (D+) (as usual opportunistic on special teams, clearly needs more consistency, needs more athletes)
Iowa State (F) (NO defense....could you at least hold them to under 50?!)
I think you are being a little too hard on WVU there. They kept up with TT most of the game. Yes, in the end they made some big mistakes and lost but they clearly improved over last year and had a real shot at winning for much of the game. I think they should get at least C.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:21 PM

[quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31902904][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31786317][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31729903][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31609377][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31540848][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31425967][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31345071]

Week#9
Baylor (A) (As expected, destroyed the RockChalkHawks. It would have been an A+ but it's KS.)
Texas (A) (We all knew TCU has no offense, but the Horns just ran over the Frogs D. Surprising. TCU seemed scared. Tip of the hat to Mack Brown for turning it around a bit.)
Kansas State (B+) (Impressive win. Solid D as usual. Created turnovers. I was impressed with the
passing game. KSU should send the state of Oklahoma a big thank you for Tyler Lockett....he's an Okie.)
Oklahoma (B) (Overall decent. The turnover on the onside kick was, once again, unacceptable. The offense looked better. Our strength is running the ball and controlling the clock. Losing Millard hurts big time. We've had some big losses to injury. The defense came up with some big stops.)
Texas Tech (C+) (Hard fought game in a hostile atmosphere. Gutsy young coach. Too many turnovers to win.)
Oklahoma State (C) (Very little passing game, but good in the run and decent D.)
West Virginia (D) (That fumble in the 4th killed it. I like Tricket; the kid has heart. Absolutely no pass defense at WVU.)
Iowa State (D) (No run defense. They knew Oklahoma State was running and still couldn't stop 'em.)
Kansas (F) (Although the J-Hawks had virtually no chance of stopping Baylor's Offense, Kansas should have been able to run better on that Baylor D.)
Texas Christian (F-) (The Horn Frogs looked scared. Some weird Southwest Conference mojo from the Horns or something? I was shocked to see Texas hit the Frogs in the mouth like that. A disappointing team for sure. Where was that stifling D from TCU?)

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 10-28-2013 at 10:32 PM..

Old 10-30-2013, 10:04 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,154,114 times
[quote=Bass&Catfish2008;32002001][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31902904][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31786317][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31729903][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31609377][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31540848][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31425967]
Quote:

Week#9
Baylor (A) (As expected, destroyed the RockChalkHawks. It would have been an A+ but it's KS.)
Texas (A) (We all knew TCU has no offense, but the Horns just ran over the Frogs D. Surprising. TCU seemed scared. Tip of the hat to Mack Brown for turning it around a bit.)
Kansas State (B+) (Impressive win. Solid D as usual. Created turnovers. I was impressed with the
passing game. KSU should send the state of Oklahoma a big thank you for Tyler Lockett....he's an Okie.)
Oklahoma (B) (Overall decent. The turnover on the onside kick was, once again, unacceptable. The offense looked better. Our strength is running the ball and controlling the clock. Losing Millard hurts big time. We've had some big losses to injury. The defense came up with some big stops.)
Texas Tech (C+) (Hard fought game in a hostile atmosphere. Gutsy young coach. Too many turnovers to win.)
Oklahoma State (C) (Very little passing game, but good in the run and decent D.)
West Virginia (D) (That fumble in the 4th killed it. I like Tricket; the kid has heart. Absolutely no pass defense at WVU.)
Iowa State (D) (No run defense. They knew Oklahoma State was running and still couldn't stop 'em.)
Kansas (F) (Although the J-Hawks had virtually no chance of stopping Baylor's Offense, Kansas should have been able to run better on that Baylor D.)
Texas Christian (F-) (The Horn Frogs looked scared. Some weird Southwest Conference mojo from the Horns or something? I was shocked to see Texas hit the Frogs in the mouth like that. A disappointing team for sure. Where was that stifling D from TCU?)
I think now that TCU is in a big time conference, and having to play legitimate competition week in and week out, they are getting exposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football