Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2018, 03:46 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,550,583 times

Advertisements

OU says buh-bye to dc Mike Stoops. Good riddance, I say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 07:49 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,514,140 times
Default Sooners CFP Bound...

Sooners take down the horns for the Big 12 Championship. That's four straight and now twelve total.

Looks like we'll be representing the Southwest region again in the Playoff against Bammer. It should be fun if Kyler goes off. If Bammer contains him at all then it will win quite handily.

https://www.foxsports.com/southwest/...4-texas-120118

Old 12-11-2018, 02:27 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,360,701 times
It’ll be a good test for that “vaunted” SEC defense we hear them braggin’ about all the time. Congratulations to Kyler for winning the Heisman. However, his future is MLB if he wants a long pro career. He most likely won’t last long in the NFL just because of his size. Do you think he’ll return to Norman? I bet not, as he doesn’t really have anything else to prove.

But let’s not forget, the Golden Hat still resides in Austin, and I’m betting it will continue after next October.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
It’ll be a good test for that “vaunted” SEC defense we hear them braggin’ about all the time. Congratulations to Kyler for winning the Heisman. However, his future is MLB if he wants a long pro career. He most likely won’t last long in the NFL just because of his size. Do you think he’ll return to Norman? I bet not, as he doesn’t really have anything else to prove.

But let’s not forget, the Golden Hat still resides in Austin, and I’m betting it will continue after next October.

Keep your golden hat. We'll keep winning the Big12 Championship. We now have not only 4 in a row Big12 titles, but we have 12 total!...to your 3!

I agree with you on Kyler. Kid needs to have a solid career in baseball. Of course, he has the potential of being a bigger star in the NFL, but that comes with more risks as you allude to.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:20 AM

True, but OU has accomplished that remarkable feat with a roster dominated with Texas boys. Same goes for OSU.
But it is amusing to note that Mack Brown has the same number of MNCs as Medium Game Bob Stoops.

Speaking of Stoops, is he contemplating returning to coaching? There are some big program openings coming up. Or is he just going to hang around the urban hip scene in Chicago?

Old 12-25-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
True, but OU has accomplished that remarkable feat with a roster dominated with Texas boys. Same goes for OSU.
But it is amusing to note that Mack Brown has the same number of MNCs as Medium Game Bob Stoops.

Speaking of Stoops, is he contemplating returning to coaching? There are some big program openings coming up. Or is he just going to hang around the urban hip scene in Chicago?

True, but Okie Darrell Royal's name adorns your stadium.

Shhhh.....horn fans.

I don't see Stoops returning. The Ohio State (he's a midwestern guy) or Notre Dame (because he's Catholic) may be enough to lure him out though. He's got a cushy job in OU's athletic administration. The dude can play golf and live high on the hog. No need to go back into a stressful situation.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:51 AM

Oh, you mean the DKR who was born in a county stolen from Texas back in the day?

Would be the smart thing for Stoops to do - sit back and enjoy the fruits of his labor for decades like Darrell did. Having fun while being a mover & shaker with no stress is a pretty good gig.

Did you see where Mack Brown is returning to North Carolina? Just as well, since he burned his bridges with the Texas fans who were paying attention during his ugly departure from UT. Thanks for the MNC, but don’t let the door hit.........

Old 12-26-2018, 07:49 AM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times
Quote:
Did you see where Mack Brown is returning to North Carolina? Just as well, since he burned his bridges with the Texas fans who were paying attention during his ugly departure from UT. Thanks for the MNC, but don’t let the door hit.........
Most UT fans I know still adore Mack. And the fan base wasn't exactly lind to the man that last year.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:10 AM

Guess those fans you know were not paying attention.

When Earl commented that “changes needed to be made” and Mack had the mindless gall to retort that Campbell “would always be welcome on our campus”.... well, that just illustrated too well how out of touch Brown was with longtime fans.

Then when he was finally informed he was no longer head coach, he told the recruits and any player who wanted to transfer that he would help them find a new place. That’s exactly the opposite tact he took when he resigned from UNC to come to Texas. Then he told the Tarheel recruits and players to stay with UNC because “you commit to the school, not the coach”.

MB had developed a delusional cult of personality that got bent out of shape after the Rose Bowl loss to Bama. After that, he just mailed it in and left the program in a shambles, as his last recruiting classes showed.
Not to mention how corrupt and bloated Belmont had become under his and Dodd’s last 10 years.
Plus his terrible mishandling of quarterbacks, then the Cleve Bryant and Applewhite scandals further illustrated his poor judgement that resonated negatively with those who understood how out of touch he was.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:05 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,846,506 times
I recall Mack Brown being a very successful coach. He had a long stretch of one, two and only three loss seasons and even an undefeated season. They lost to Bama in the BCS championship game and after that something happened. Who knows what it was but my gut has always told me some meddling boosters or someone higher up at the school pissed Mack Brown off. It was probably a meddling booster or two demanding an immediate championship and going off at the mouth after the BCS championship game loss. You can see it in his recruiting immediately following that game and the following seasons they lost a lot of games. It is obvious Mack Brown checked out and just cashed the checks for the last few years. Whoever it was that caused him to just throw it in, I hope they are happy because Texas has pretty much sucked since then. This year they started looking a little better but 9-4 isn't anything to brag about and is still not as good as Mack Brown prior to whatever happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football