Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2013, 05:54 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,360,701 times

Advertisements

Although he's already had some offers, I think he'll stay put at Texas. They will pay him until 2020 and he'll be "special assistant" to the president of UT (greeter & glad hander). Not a bad gig for $2.75 million cash and $500,000 a year. Plus he will be able to do TV commentary, something he is very good at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 07:20 PM

18,226 posts, read 25,880,114 times
Thread closed for moderator review.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:22 AM

18,226 posts, read 25,880,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I'll re-open this thing but I see a bunch of posts that need to go that I'll get to later. This is a discussion about the Big XII Conference, can we make it a civil one? And from what I've read here I don't believe the status of the Atlantic Coast Conference teams have a lot to do with this thread.

Thread re-opened.

This was posted over two months ago. And it applies to the above two posts that obviously were made long before this one.

I'm going to re-open this and look for more posts that stomps on the TOS when I get time.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-09-2014 at 05:11 PM..

Old 01-20-2014, 04:41 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,514,140 times
[quote=Bass&Catfish2008;32606701][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;32480069][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;32421431][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;32311987][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;32197038][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;32096779][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;32002001][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31902904][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31786317][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31729903][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31609377][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31540848][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;31425967]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

Week#15
Baylor (A) (1st and hopefully ONLY time the Fighting Baptists win the Big XII.)
Oklahoma (A-)
(Thrilling! Best game in Big XII this year. Showed some grit, for sure. Tough, never gave up, and had some calls go its way, OU looks poised to be back at the top of the conference next year if it can channel/maintain similar toughness that Stoops' teams had when he first started at OU.)
Oklahoma State (C+) (Played well enough to win, OU just had a touch more in the tank to get it done. Oklahoma State should have won, of course. The Cowboys appeared to have more athletes this year, but they didn't have the moxy to get done at the end of the game.)
Iowa State (C-) (Pulled out the W against juggernaut......Northern Iowa?)
Texas (D)
(Just got outclassed.....just like OU.)
Final Grades of the 2013 Season
Oklahoma (A-) (Best win of the bowl season of any team in college football by far, not just the Big XII. Just an absolute shocker of a win against the SEC's best team. Looks like Stoops can back up his words: Bob Stoops of Oklahoma Sooners challenges SEC defenses again - ESPN. He did so against Bama in a huge way. This was a great great win and catapulted Oklahoma into having the best all around season in the Big XII. There was no way, especially before Bedlam and backing into the Sugar Bowl that anyone could have predicted it would have turned out so well for the Sooners and Stoops. This is clearly Stoops' best coaching job ever.....he had tons of injuries, questions at QB most of the season, and lesser talent/capability of his players than probably any other time in his tenure as the Sooners coach. Excellent job of keeping his team together even after some bad losses. Very proud of the Sooners for the toughness they showed. That impressed me more than anything else....and to think that this Lil Ol' Sissy Big XII Team punched Big Bad Bama in the mouth and manhandled the SEC's most dominant team!)
Baylor (B+) (The reason that Baylor doesn't get an A is because of it's horrible loss to inferior opponent UCF. UCF plays in a horrible conference and should not have challenged Baylor like it did. Baylor had perhaps a once-in-a-lifetime shot at a major bowl and the win would have given the Big XII some more credibility. It was not to be. Baylor had a great season in the Big XII and deserves some praise for winning the conference, but not taking advantage of an inferior opponent at the Fiesta Bowl is not acceptable. Overall, the season was a huge success for Baylor as it accomplished something it had not done: an outright Big XII Title.)
Oklahoma State (B) (This was the year, with Oklahoma and Tejas down, that Oklahoma State had a chance to dominate the league, with a plethora of return starters and upperclassmen. Instead, Oklahoma State inexplicably lost to conference cellar dweller West Virginia as well as an upset loss to Big Brother OU = a game that Oklahoma State should have won convincingly in extremely cold weather. I personally think Oklahoma State will look back and look at this season as the one that got away (along with their title run in 2011). Tejas will soon be on the rise and it doesn't look like OU's got as many questions at QB as originally perceived. If Oklahoma State wants to be taken seriously it must hang with the Big Dogs of Oklahoma and Texas. Another year like this year and Oklahoma State will slide back into middle of the conference mediocrity. With OU and Tejas clearly down, this has to be viewed as somewhat of a disappointment for Oklahoma State. Plus, the Pokes were a chiggar's eyelash of pulling one out against SEC East Champ Missouri....a game that OSU should have won and it would have given the Big XII much more credibility with two really convincing wins against SEC opponents. As an Okie, all I can say is I expected more from you Cowboys. If you want to be taken seriously you have to do better.)
Texas (C+) (In a season when it didn't really have a QB (Ash going down), Tejas fought hard amidst a litany of injuries, much like the Sooners. Mack gave it all he had to try and make it work. Kudos to him for having the cajones to fire his DC mid-season and try to improve, which the Shorthorns did. The win over the Sooners was good, since the Sooners were favored by a few TD's. The Horns fought hard in conference but ultimately could not overcome their deficiency at QB as well as on defense. The blowout loss to Oregon is just not acceptable. It's not a good way for Mack to go out, but I have a sneaky suspicion that Strong will bring some much needed toughness to a team, which generally allows the players to be coddled and be entitled. Still this has to be seen as a letdown season for Mack and the Horns.)
Kansas State (C-) (Snyder pulled out some the typical Snyder Save at the end of the season winning all of his games, sans Oklahoma, in the backhalf of the season. The win over Michigan is a good win simply because Michigan is such a huge brand and traditional power, and one of the lynchpin key face programs of the B1G. I don't think this season could be viewed as a success, but hats off to Snyder for keeping his team together, clearly progressing over the course of the season, and winning most of their final games. K-State is the only team from the Ol' Big XII North that has any credibility at all. The other Northern Teams.....ugh, that's all that can be said.)
Texas Tech (C-) (After coming out of the gate redhot, the multiple losses in conference really put a damper on this team's season. Kingsbury appears to be a really good coach but it is interesting that two of his starting QB's throughout the season have asked for a transfer. He needs to do a better job of keeping things in-house. The win over Arizona St. was excellent, however. This catapults the Red Raiders into next season with some much needed momentum. I think the Red Raiders have a chance to surpass Oklahoma State next year and give Tejas and the Sooners a good fight. Also, it won't surprise me a bit to see Tech beatdown Baylor. All in all, even with the great bowl victory, this has to be viewed as somewhat of a disappointing year, especially after such a great start and a putting up a great fight against the Sooners in Norman.)
TCU (D) (I was at the game when TCU played the Sooners tough, but with the exception of that game, this team did not show up. That's not like Gary Patterson. Either he had a major drop in talent (which doesn't make sense now that he is in the Big XII, should help recruiting) or his players just gave up. I can't figure this team out. Ubben and many of the other prognosticators picked the Frogs to win or contend closely the Big XII with Oklahoma State. Either way, this is a major disappointment for Patterson and the Frogs. This season has to go down as a major major disappointment for a team, which on paper, was much better than it played.)
Iowa St. (D) (Fought at times in various games and almost pulled out the W against Tejas. Alas, it wasn't meant to be. Rhodes should be producing some better teams as he has been there for several years now. Hiring Mangino was a great hire. He will help out the Cyclone offense. Kansas should have never let Mangino go.....remember when Kansas (KANSAS!) was in the Orange Bowl? Not too long...it was under the leadership of Mangino. Iowa St. is used to disappointment so I won't be too hard on 'em.)
West Virginia (F) (This team came into the Big XII with a lot of steam and was supposed to steamroll the Sooners/Tejas right out of the gate. That's not how it is shaping up. The 'Neers did get a good win against a flat Oklahoma State team, but other than that there are very few bright moments for this team this year. Undoubtedly, Holgerson will be on the hotseat next year. West Virginia is going to have to get good fast. Their addition to the Big XII, which is geographically ludicrous BTW, is looking more and more out of place. While making more dough, TCU/WV are learning that it is much harder in this league than the leagues they came from. I hope West Virginia improves. The Big XII needs WV to improve to validate their addition and the Big XII staying together in the future....as well as hopefully having the cached/ability to add some quality teams in a year or two. Clearly, this was a very disappointing year for West Virginny. Losing to conference doormat Kansas doesn't help either, WV coaching staff. Gotta do better.)
Kansas (F-) (Mangino has shown that Kansas can be more than a basketball school. Still, it is just amazing how poor Kansas has been in conference for several years now. Kansas is lower on the conference totem poll than just about any other major conference cellar dweller, with the exception of maybe Colorado and Wake Forest. There is nothing more to say here.)

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 01-20-2014 at 04:49 PM..

Old 01-20-2014, 08:13 PM

That's a fair list of ratings, but I take exception to "Mack's cojones". After last season's regressive disaster on defense, Diaz should've been fired in January. It was the worst defense in UT history.

Mack ticked off quite a few Orangebloods with his refusal to resign, so he was essentially fired.
The strength & conditioning program has been in a shambles, as has the academic monitoring/tutoring. There were too many lazy cronies drawing big salaries and getting poor results, so a thorough housecleaning is in order.

The UT athletic department has over 450 employees, about 200 more than OU. What does that bloated bureaucracy tell you?

That publically embarrassing departure was on him, not the new AD. Pretty sad and uncomfortable for a good guy and a National Champion. I think he was deluded about what was going on. But kudos to him for reviving a moribund program and taking expectations to the highest level.

DKR knew when it was time to go, and he did gracefully.

Mack should take his $2.75 million lump sum plus $500K annual stipend as "Special Assistant" to Bill Powers until 2020, and just go play golf & gladhand the rich alums like he's been doing for years.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:21 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,940,573 times
Good grades. I'd guess that the conference should be better overall next season. OU is probably in the driver's seat this year for the conference title, with Baylor & maybe K-State trying to disprove that notion. W/ regard to Tech, if it can put together a defense to replace the seniors & the new special teams coach brings his unit to mediocre level, watch out. Not very concerned about the QB situation in Lubbock. Not sure about the Pokes. UT might have new coach growing pains. TCU should improve w/ its new offensive coaches, don't count out Holgorsen at WVU, ISU's Rhoads is dangerous, and KU did seem to show improvement toward last season's end.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:53 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,037,787 times
That looks like a good list of grades B&C. Tech should be a better football team next season and I'm not worried about the QB situation at all. Webb was a very good QB, especially for a true freshman. He'll most likely be the starter next season. Kliff also has another hotshot QB lined up behind him (forgot his name).

I agree with shoe01 above, OU will probably be the team that'll dominate next season. Texas may have some growing pains with a new head coach but it'll be a good thing for the Longhorns in the long-run. Coach Strong should have Texas being a contender for the conference title again in 2015. I think Kansas State will be better next season and Ok State and Baylor will continue to be good. I think TCU will be better next season as well. I hope WVU, ISU, and KU will all improve.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:30 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,514,140 times
Default Good Overview of Big XII Recruiting...

The Sooners definitely benefited from the sweet (pun intended) win over Saban & Bama in the Sugar Bowl positively impacting recruiting for the Crimson&Cream.

Here's Ubben's list which sounds about right: What you need to know about the Big 12's recruiting classes | FOX Sports on MSN

Old 02-08-2014, 05:51 PM

Yep, y'all did.

But I gotta say I was wrong about the aggies, they are doing quite well even though they had a comedown season. We'll see how they do without JFM next year.

Was surprises UT held most of the class together. What with Strong's strict new rules (particularly dorm living requirements) I thought we'd lose more recruits.

Strong was really hamstrung in recruiting by the way Brown made his rude exit and it is obvious Mack wouldn't be sad to see him fail. At least that is the observation of many Longhorn fans.

Just win, baby.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:27 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,920,863 times
My Frogs had NO offense to speak of. Hopefully that was fixed during the offseason with the new O.C.

TCU can compete, but we're still missing just a couple things to really make us a top dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football