Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 07:46 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,897,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
At one time South Carolina had one of elite b-ball programs in the country, ranking equally with the likes of North Carolina. The rivalries within the ACC were pretty intense back then. South Carolina was coached by Frank McGuire, a NYC native who recruited players from his hometown. Many of his recruits failed to meet minimum ACC academic standards. South Carolina didn't like the academic standards and hated even more the referees, claiming that the conference favored the Carolina schools.

So in 1971 South Carolina went independent. The move was a disaster. Their B-ball program has never recovered. With respect to football, Clemson became the top dog in South Carolina. And I'm sure the school and its administrators lost some respect within academic circles and among prospective recruits.

At one time or another, every ACC school outside of North Carolina has complained about the undue influence the Tobacco Road schools have over the conference. But what's the alternative? The Big 12? FSU/Miami won't play 3rd fiddle to UT (and its financial arrangement) and the Okie schools when they're bass among minnows in the ACC.

I will admit, though, if the SEC invited FSU/Miami, then those two schools would most likely change conferences. FSU/Miami, like the SEC schools, play with gusto and aren't afraid of competition weekend after weekend. That's the SEC way, which, btw, I do envy.
If you think South Carolina is in a worse position being in the SEC (which they got to because they were Indy) then I have some beach front property in TN to sell you... Their academics have not changed, what athletic conference they are in doesnt affect academics, which are thriving 10x better than when they were in the ACC.

They have the #11 revenue generating football program... Played in the SEC title game last year.
They have won 2 Natty's Baseball... And lost in the finals this year
They have the #20 ranked revenue generating athletic dept.

No school in the ACC is making the money and having the success South Carolina is having. You are sorely mistaken... The ACC schools wanna be the next South Carolina... Especially Clemson and Florida State!

Last edited by Mr. GE; 07-26-2012 at 08:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 07:54 PM

410 posts, read 342,641 times
Some REALLY passionate people with LONG posts on this thread.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:07 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,514,140 times
Quote:
The ACC is one of the storied collegiate conferences. It has existed for nearly 60 years, with only one school leaving. The member schools share a cultural and geographic relationship, standing for academic excellence, especially student-athlete success, and competition and camaraderie. Just last year, the US News and World Report Top College List named the ACC as the top BCS conference in academic ranking, placing seven schools in the top 40.

The addition of Syracuse and Pittsburgh further cements the ACC's academic reputation. Both schools also strengthen the ACC's hold in the northeast, giving Boston College much needed geographic rivals and the ACC control of nearly all of the media markets along the east coast, from Boston to Miami. Although both schools are known today for b-ball, they also have strong football traditions, which will serve the ACC well.

Given what I wrote above, it would be difficult for any ACC member to pull out of the conference. The potential long term benefits are too great. The ACC's football product may be inferior at this time, but football is not a static sport. Both Miami and FSU will return to prominence, perhaps along with Syracuse and Pitt or any other cobination of ACC schools.

The Big 12, otoh, is academically and geographically incompatible. UT is the only Big 12 school represented in the top 50 school per the US News and World Report Top College List. Contrary to the vocal complaints of a few trustees, ADs and prominent alumni, University administrators don't want their schools going to a "lesser" conference. Their situation is stable, if not good. And no one wants to become the next South Carolina. Sure the Big 12 may offer more money, but the travel costs of non-revenue sports will eat away the profit. Recruiting will also suffer. For example, Penn State's football program has been in decline after it joined B1G.

Revenue sharing is also an issue. No one likes UT's financial arrangement. That's why the door wasn't open for UT at the PAC 12, B1G and even the ACC. I'm sure the other Big 12 schools don't like the arrangement, but they have no choice but to accept it. But if B1G were to expand, I'm sure UK, KSU and ISU will all publicly lobby for admission, like Missouri. That's why I think the Big 12 is unstable.

I think the Big 12 should invite Boise State, BYU, Colorado State (or US Air Force Academy) and New Mexico. In the east, it could add Louisville and Cincinnati. That would give the Big 12 16, plenty of schools for UT, OU and OSU to pounce on, which is what those 3 schools really want.
>>>>>
I think the Big 12 should invite Boise State, BYU, Colorado State (or US Air Force Academy) and New Mexico. In the east, it could add Louisville and Cincinnati. That would give the Big 12 16, plenty of schools for UT, OU and OSU to pounce on, which is what those 3 schools really want.
<<<<<

So the BigXII turns down some ACC powers to add New Mexico, Colorado St. and Boise State? I like you NJ2MDude, you've got a healthy sarcasm about you.

Reading back through this I got a pretty good chuckle. Of the schools you listed I think BYU and Louisville have a chance, albeit small if the BigXII gets desperate.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:44 PM

2,291 posts, read 3,944,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
If you think South Carolina is in a worse position being in the SEC (which they got to because they were Indy) then I have some beach front property in TN to sell you... Their academics have not changed, what athletic conference they are in doesnt affect academics, which are thriving 10x better than when they were in the ACC.

They have the #11 revenue generating football program... Played in the SEC title game last year.
They have won 2 Natty's Baseball... And lost in the finals this year
They have the #20 ranked revenue generating athletic dept.

No school in the ACC is making the money and having the success South Carolina is having. You are sorely mistaken... The ACC schools wanna be the next South Carolina... Especially Clemson and Florida State!
You're more than welcome to measure South Carolina's success in terms of revenue. But the fact is their b-ball is no longer regarded an elite program and their recent success on the gridiron took nearly 40 years after their departure from the ACC and 20 years after their admission into the SEC. The football coach, Steve Spurrier, is nearly 70, so we'll see how long that success will continue. My money is on Dabo Sweeney and Clemson.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
<<<<<

So the BigXII turns down some ACC powers to add New Mexico, Colorado St. and Boise State? I like you NJ2MDude, you've got a healthy sarcasm about you.

Reading back through this I got a pretty good chuckle. Of the schools you listed I think BYU and Louisville have a chance, albeit small if the BigXII gets desperate.
You guys should make WVU play its first home game against UT, UO or OSU at Fedex Field in Landover, MD. That would give the Big 12 access to the DC market and enable me to watch the game in person.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVofM View Post
Franklin already had it in his contract that when Ralph F. stepped down, he was automatically the new UM head coach. (and Maryland indeed had to pay Franklin a million dollar penalty when they hired the other guy, didn't they? - beside the buyer's remorse they are now going through over the choice they made)

If Vandy goes to a bowl game again this year and Maryland has another crappy losing season...
Franklin turned out to be a good coach. I certainly didn't think the potential was there, based solely on his resume. But I'm glad he's found success and is popular at Vandy.

Randy Edsall hired Mike Locksley, the former New Mexico head coach, to be his offensive coordinator. Locksley has Baltimore-DC connections and has been a beast of a recruiter since his return to College Park. Hopefully MD football will be back in a few years. MD football hasn't had success on the gridiron since the Bobby Ross years.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:21 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,883,499 times
Quote:
You guys should make WVU play its first home game against UT, UO or OSU at Fedex Field in Landover, MD. That would give the Big 12 access to the DC market and enable me to watch the game in person.
WVU is playing a game in Maryland.

For UT, UO, or OSU it is either going to be in Morgantown or the other town's university, unless it is a bowl game. You could try writing to the NCAA or the Big 12 but I doubt you will be able to convince them.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:16 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,897,806 times
Quote:
You're more than welcome to measure South Carolina's success in terms of revenue. But the fact is their b-ball is no longer regarded an elite program and their recent success on the gridiron took nearly 40 years after their departure from the ACC and 20 years after their admission into the SEC. The football coach, Steve Spurrier, is nearly 70, so we'll see how long that success will continue. My money is on Dabo Sweeney and Clemson.
College basketball outside of the states of NC, KY, and Kansas are money pits... Their success is irrelevant.

So you are betting on potential with Clemson... Over what has been proven the last 5 years? Thats laughable... That tells me enough to end trying explain logic to someone who is backing his statements up with his "gut"...

Old 07-27-2012, 06:17 PM

410 posts, read 342,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
College basketball outside of the states of NC, KY, and Kansas are money pits... Their success is irrelevant.

So you are betting on potential with Clemson... Over what has been proven the last 5 years? Thats laughable... That tells me enough to end trying explain logic to someone who is backing his statements up with his "gut"...
Mr GE. Who do you predict to win it all this year?
My prediction is OU, but that's my homerism for the Sooners showing. Obviously Oregon has a shot. Can anyone topple the SEC though. Objectively LSU or Alabama are shoe ins, although I don't want that to happen.
I respect your observations friend.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:36 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,514,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libsk View Post
Mr GE. Who do you predict to win it all this year?
My prediction is OU, but that's my homerism for the Sooners showing. Obviously Oregon has a shot. Can anyone topple the SEC though. Objectively LSU or Alabama are shoe ins, although I don't want that to happen.
I respect your observations friend.
>>>>>
My prediction is OU, but that's my homerism for the Sooners showing.
<<<<<

Homerism and Sooners do not go together!

You're just employing adept reasoning prowess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football