Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2021, 07:16 AM

12,960 posts, read 13,386,884 times

Advertisements

There is no excuse for playing FCS teams or the Little Sisters of the Poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 10:35 PM

29,622 posts, read 16,607,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
And in ‘18?
Quote:
If the other conferences’ teams played more of the creampuff OOC schools like the SEC does to pump up their W/L records, then that might look different. As I said, the SEC is Bama and the occasional interloper like LSU & Auburn.
It will be fun playing them H&H - Sark vs his former boss. Too bad the game with LSU was Covid canceled this past season.

My post was about Bowl records, so who exactly are you calling a creampuff ? Ohio State ? Clemson ? Oklahoma ?

Quote:
There is no excuse for playing FCS teams or the Little Sisters of the Poor.
I have never understood the whole weird debating over level of cream puff.

Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin and Michigan pad their stats by playing Miami of Ohio, Akron, Central Michigan or Kent State

but yall get mad because Georgia plays Murry State ? or Alabama plays Western Carolina?????

winning by 30 or winning by 40, its still a win you knew you would have. its just a bad argument.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:09 PM

2,014 posts, read 993,587 times
^Well said. The B1G is notorious for playing the MAC and other FCS schools too. So hating on the SEC for doing so is a very dumb argument.

Old 02-16-2021, 02:40 PM

17,846 posts, read 13,768,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
My post was about Bowl records, so who exactly are you calling a creampuff ? Ohio State ? Clemson ? Oklahoma ?

I have never understood the whole weird debating over level of cream puff.

Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin and Michigan pad their stats by playing Miami of Ohio, Akron, Central Michigan or Kent State

but yall get mad because Georgia plays Murry State ? or Alabama plays Western Carolina?????

winning by 30 or winning by 40, its still a win you knew you would have. its just a bad argument.
The SEC catches grief because they play "creampuffs" in November. I don't think it would be that big a deal if SEC played all their creampuffs in August and September when everybody else is playing them.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:22 PM

29,622 posts, read 16,607,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The SEC catches grief because they play "creampuffs" in November. I don't think it would be that big a deal if SEC played all their creampuffs in August and September when everybody else is playing them.
That argument makes no sense either If im being honest.

when you play a creampuff shouldnt matter.

And sense everyone gets bye weeks at different times, then there can be an excuse for every lose/win.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
That argument makes no sense either If im being honest.

when you play a creampuff shouldnt matter.

And sense everyone gets bye weeks at different times, then there can be an excuse for every lose/win.
It shouldn't matter...but it does... simply because of the optics.

And I'm not arguing here. I'm making an observation as to why people are hypercritical of the SEC playing "creampuffs". Those November I-AA games in the SEC stick out like a sore thumb to college fans everywhere.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It shouldn't matter...but it does... simply because of the optics.

And I'm not arguing here. I'm making an observation as to why people are hypercritical of the SEC playing "creampuffs". Those November I-AA games in the SEC stick out like a sore thumb to college fans everywhere.
Well said. I think people also forget scheduling crappy teams is all about the money for the smaller schools.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:50 PM

3,519 posts, read 778,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Well said. I think people also forget scheduling crappy teams is all about the money for the smaller schools.
is it so bad to schedule a cream puff before your rivalry game ?

Old 02-22-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973PINTO View Post
Personally, I don't think so. Schools can do as they please. I'd rather see P5 schools play more P5 schools and G5 schools, instead of FCS opponents.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973PINTO View Post
OK, again. Not arguing. Just making observations from other fans viewpoints.

Since all the other leagues play the "cream puffs early" they are in the thick of their conference race in November. So when "Cream puff" week comes in the SEC they see themselves lining up against teams who can beat them and ruin their season. Fans don't like it because nobody outside the SEC wants to see those games in November.

Where the SEC is smart on this is that despite the criticism, they pretty much all play an SEC game early. If you lose to a fellow SEC team in September you have a much better chance to climb back up the ladder than you do if you lost to that same team in the eleventh game of the season. This makes a huge difference in the ratings sometimes. And as you said, it probably helps make the rivalry games more competitive with basically an open week.

So all in all it is a wise move. As for me, I don't like it because there aren't really any good SEC matchups that week to watch. They usually have a couple of middle of the road teams play their creampuffs the week before that week so they can have say a Vandy- Mizzou type game that week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football