Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 11:11 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times

Advertisements

For the handful of National programs, which Texas is one, losing a player shouldn't be a huge issue. Since they usually have a capable highly recruited backup. Unfortunately with Browns last couple years, and Ags joining the SEC, Horns will have to work at it. Their backups are no longer top tier guys.

Top offensive talent are flocking to spread offenses like Ags & Baylor. The way football is trending toward passing and limiting the actions of defenders, I can see why more athletes want to play offense.

No reason they should lose at home 41-7 to BYU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 06:50 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
That was horrific.

I'm not a UT guy, but is it possible that Strong doesn't even make it to the end of the season if this happens a few more times? I cringe at the thought of the Horns playing OU.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:01 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
That was horrific.

I'm not a UT guy, but is it possible that Strong doesn't even make it to the end of the season if this happens a few more times? I cringe at the thought of the Horns playing OU.
That's ridiculous. You've got to write off this year as transition. They weren't going to win the Big12. BYU is pretty good to and they seriously limited the offense.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:28 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
That's ridiculous. You've got to write off this year as transition. They weren't going to win the Big12. BYU is pretty good to and they seriously limited the offense.
This is the clear truth.
Brown's recruiting & lack of coaching the previous 4 years has Texas in a deep well. To expect any kind of success overnight with such a lack of depth is being unrealistic. Brown did not leave any Ricky Williamses for Strong to work with.
While the 3rd quarter defensive breakdown was obviously horrific, their first half effort was admirable - considering what BYU did to the same D last year.

The offense? With a second string O line and a virgin QB (who was an overrated recruit), there's not much to bet on, except that Strong has to rebuild it from scratch.

We'll see what he has accomplished at the end of his 3rd season before any real assessment can be made.

The next recruiting class should be pretty awesome, as there will be so many scholarships open.

But yes, anybody who follows UT knows this season is a write-off - whether 7-5 or 5-7.

Let Sumlin & the corrupt SEC coddle their thugs, I care nothing about them.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:14 AM

922 posts, read 1,697,900 times
Quote:
You're talking about Texas fans here. Majority of fans I've seen thought it would be Saban
or bust for the next coach.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:38 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
This is the clear truth.
Brown's recruiting & lack of coaching the previous 4 years has Texas in a deep well. To expect any kind of success overnight with such a lack of depth is being unrealistic. Brown did not leave any Ricky Williamses for Strong to work with.
While the 3rd quarter defensive breakdown was obviously horrific, their first half effort was admirable - considering what BYU did to the same D last year.

The offense? With a second string O line and a virgin QB (who was an overrated recruit), there's not much to bet on, except that Strong has to rebuild it from scratch.

We'll see what he has accomplished at the end of his 3rd season before any real assessment can be made.

The next recruiting class should be pretty awesome, as there will be so many scholarships open.

But yes, anybody who follows UT knows this season is a write-off - whether 7-5 or 5-7.

Let Sumlin & the corrupt SEC coddle their thugs, I care nothing about them.
Do you think that Manny Diaz got some satisfaction in that loss last night? I'm guessing he said to himself "told you so" when he watched the highlights and saw the final score.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:14 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
I'll remind everyone also that BYU won 40-21 last year, and then Texas beat Oklahoma 36-20.
All is not lost.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:06 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
This is the clear truth.
Really, last I checked those two running backs Texas were putting out there were 5 star recruits.

It's absolutely ridiculous to say that Strong doesn't have any talent, and thats even WITH him kicking half the players off the team.

Here is a list:

Jordan Hicks 5*
Malcom Brown 5*
Malcolm Brown 5*
Jonathan Gray 5*
Peter Jinkins 4*
Daje Johnson 4*
Hassan Ridgway 4*
Cedric Reed 4*
Jake Raulerson 4*
John Harris 4*
Sedrick Flowers 4*
Desmond Jackson 4*
Quandre Diggs 4*
Steve Edmonds 4*
Mykylle Thompson 4*

Old 09-07-2014, 04:09 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
This is the clear truth.
Really, last I checked those two running backs Texas were putting out there were 5 star recruits.

It's absolutely ridiculous to say that Strong doesn't have any talent, and thats even WITH him kicking half the players off the team.

Here is a list:

Jordan Hicks 5*
Malcom Brown 5*
Malcolm Brown 5*
Johnathan Gray 5*
Peter Jinkins 4*
Daje Johnson 4*
Hassan Ridgway 4*
Cedric Reed 4*
Jake Raulerson 4*
John Harris 4*
Sedrick Flowers 4*
Desmond Jackson 4*
Quandre Diggs 4*
Steve Edmonds 4*
Mykylle Thompson 4*
Kent Perkins 4*
Tyrone Swoopes 4*
Camrhon Hughes 4*

So 17 starters who played against BYU in 2014 are 4* or 5* recruits and 18 if you count Gray, yet Brown left them no talent.

Fact of the matter is that Charlie Strong did nothing against BYU that Mack Brown couldn't have done.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:11 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
I'll remind everyone also that BYU won 40-21 last year, and then Texas beat Oklahoma 36-20.
All is not lost.
That sequence is inconceivable this year. Over the last five years or so I never think OU is as good the polls do, but the one thing I thought Texas had - a defense - disappeared in the 3rd quarter against BYU.

Strong said in the post game press conference he could tell during warmup that the team was not ready to play. That is an incredible thing to say - assuming he believed it. Texas hung in there the 1st half. The defense looked impressive at times; the offense hadn't done much but they hadn't crumbled with Swoopes. Something changed at half time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football