Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 09:38 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yes it'll be interesting if Charlie Strong can squeeze a 6-6 team out of 8-4 talent.

Charlie Strong has played the "took over a program in tatters" card masterfully. Fact of the matter is that Texas puts out 17 4-5 star players in among the 22 starters, and Johnathon Gray who is a 5 star.

Many of those guys are juniors and seniors.

There probably aren't 4 other teams in the country that can boast that kind of front line talent.

It's equally amusing that Texas 6 out of 7 basically games in the state of Texas (5 which were home games and of course the "neutral" game in Dallas) and the one away game at lowly Kansas and you all are impressed with yourselves at 3-4. Iowa State is the best team you beat and it took all you had to beat them at home.

You will finally face a good team outside of the state of Texas. If Texas has really improved then they should be able to play toe to toe with KSU. If not you'll just have to figure out how to come up with another "moral" victory.
Lol, a backup quarterback, a totally green offensive line, and no depth defensively is 8-4 talent? Not to mention implementing a totally new system. You either don't know much about football, or are totally misinformed about the situation at UT.

Aren't you that same guy that went on that long pointless rant on the US forum. That explains a lot about this post. I would write a long post pointing out why some of your assertions are incorrect, but I won't. You're probably too distracted by that perpetual rendition of boomer sooner in your head to pay attention anyway .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 09:56 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Yes it'll be interesting if Charlie Strong can squeeze a 6-6 team out of 8-4 talent.

Charlie Strong has played the "took over a program in tatters" card masterfully. Fact of the matter is that Texas puts out 17 4-5 star players in among the 22 starters, and Johnathon Gray who is a 5 star.

Many of those guys are juniors and seniors.

There probably aren't 4 other teams in the country that can boast that kind of front line talent.

It's equally amusing that Texas 6 out of 7 basically games in the state of Texas (5 which were home games and of course the "neutral" game in Dallas) and the one away game at lowly Kansas and you all are impressed with yourselves at 3-4. Iowa State is the best team you beat and it took all you had to beat them at home.

You will finally face a good team outside of the state of Texas. If Texas has really improved then they should be able to play toe to toe with KSU. If not you'll just have to figure out how to come up with another "moral" victory.
Nobody is playing the moral victory card here except you Sooners, and nobody is impressed at a losing record - a record that will get worse by the end of the season. We are resigned to that fact, but can see some light at the end of the tunnel. You can read it for yourself on the Texas boards.

What you guys refuse to admit out loud is the fact that the talent Mack Brown recruited was either overrated or poorly coached the past 4 years. The fact that the highly rated 2010 recruiting class had NOT ONE player go in the NFL draft (a first since Roosevelt was in the White House) indicates it was obviously the latter.

You people made fun of Coach February for years, now all of a sudden you are claiming he was a stellar player developer? Even the current UT players know they are getting coached up under Strong's new staff. The Sooners I spoke with after that game knew they were outplayed, and that Strong will be challenging them when he gets his program set & going.

And I'd like to see how well OU will fare after Stoops gets fired, then the new guy loses his starting QB, and runs off 10 talented players because of their failure to meet core values. Then soldiers on with a raw, inexperienced O-line.

The Longhorns are a weak team undergoing an extensive rebuilding but they have been improving in several spots.

There's a reason why you Sooners were supporting Mack Brown & didn't want to see him run off.

And there's a reason the Sooners haven't won a MNC since Blake's players left school.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:24 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Shutout again. Horns have facilities and resources. No reason they can't be top 25 in 2 years.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:09 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Lol, a backup quarterback, a totally green offensive line, and no depth defensively is 8-4 talent? Not to mention implementing a totally new system. You either don't know much about football, or are totally misinformed about the situation at UT.

Aren't you that same guy that went on that long pointless rant on the US forum. That explains a lot about this post. I would write a long post pointing out why some of your assertions are incorrect, but I won't. You're probably too distracted by that perpetual rendition of boomer sooner in your head to pay attention anyway .
Yes, I wrote the post on the US forum. The one you proudly claimed you didn't read. But you did manage to toss in an "I think Oklahoma sucks" rather than contribute to the thread.

I realize that your dismissiveness is just a defense mechanism because you really don't have any game.

So I will repeat:

Quote:
You will(did) finally face(d) a good team outside of the state of Texas. If Texas has really improved then they should be able to play toe to toe with KSU. If not you'll just have to figure out how to come up with another "moral" victory.
You and Sco Pro need to decide what came out of this game?

I maintain that you have too much talent to end up with a losing record…….which is what is going to happen. I maintain that Mack Brown would go 8-4 with this bunch just like he went 8-4 with the same group last season.

Your defense is good, and your offense is capable. Yet they aren't performing. You deny that you have excellent front line talent and choose to dwell on the "green offensive line". The one that really doesn't have as much problem blocking people as they do remembering the snap count.

Brown and Gray have gone from running backs that you guys completely overhyped under Mack to guys that are truly underperforming under Strong.

You are as good at QB as you were with McCoy last year?

You did lose the three O linemen and it's a legitimate point, but Espinosa was the only returning starter of the three. The other two were going to be first time starters.

Defensively, you have the best defense in the conference.

What is wrong with this picture?

Feel free to comment. I'll turn off the endless Boomer Sooner loop and listen.

Last edited by eddie gein; 10-26-2014 at 08:19 AM..

Old 10-27-2014, 07:47 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
If Texas has really improved then they should be able to play toe to toe with KSU.
Texas DID play toe to toe with KSU. Except their toes (UT) got stepped on.

Personally, I have always liked Mack Brown and the UT program. Painful to watch the downward spiral and seeing Mack Brown ending on a bad note.

I think it is the nature of the game. The 2005 national championship game between UT and USC was the best college football game I had listened to! (Sadly we were driving cross-country and I had to listen to it on the radio.)

Now, USC is ranked somewhere around 25 and UT is not even ranked. Texas will be back. They just won't be back the first year Coach Strong is at the helm.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:22 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
I really thought Texas would play better than they did against KSU. I thought KSU would win (for lots of reasons including the mojo they have over Texas) but I thought Texas would score 10, not zero.

But college football has cycles. Texas is in a down cycle. I don't know how long it will last, but they are down. I think though that Texas will rise faster than Michigan will. No greater fall from greatness than Michigan. Miami is a nobody, and will stay that way for a while.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:37 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I really thought Texas would play better than they did against KSU. I thought KSU would win (for lots of reasons including the mojo they have over Texas) but I thought Texas would score 10, not zero.

But college football has cycles. Texas is in a down cycle. I don't know how long it will last, but they are down. I think though that Texas will rise faster than Michigan will. No greater fall from greatness than Michigan. Miami is a nobody, and will stay that way for a while.
KSU has a stiff, disciplined defense, and is really still an underrated contender for the final four. Texas just didn't have the firepower.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:54 PM

Texas just needs to get both the O & the D playing well in the same game. Inconsistency is a bugaboo for the Horns this year.
The o-line met a very good defense and was unable to cope.

This season is a wash, but they will be kickin' butt & naming names when they get their act together.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:58 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,652 times
RE: OTA sports... Does UT just no longer play on public TV?

Old 11-04-2014, 04:51 PM

Maybe local cable access. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football