Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2010, 08:05 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,414,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Does anyone think that Mizzou might just be that good?

No?

Me neither.
Probably pretty good. I just don't know if they'd win a rematch, on a neutral field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 08:19 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,520,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Why not? I mean in order for them to REALLY strut their stuff, they have to beat the Huskers. Still I don't buy anyone saying the "oh Oklahoma is down" so it doesn't count.
Well considering Mizzou really wants to go on the road and beat Nebraska this year more than ever. A big reason is due to the whole Big Ten expansion issue which is a very touchy subject to Mizzou fans. (who knows what happens there in the next few months since it might be revisited) Also if they end up beating a traditonal power in two consecutive weeks that will really get people to notice. Quick thought, if they do win next weekend do they then jump Boise State next week?

Old 10-24-2010, 08:39 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,617,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Why not? I mean in order for them to REALLY strut their stuff, they have to beat the Huskers. Still I don't buy anyone saying the "oh Oklahoma is down" so it doesn't count.
I don't think NU is going to give Gabbert 8 seconds to make his passes like OU did.

I also don't think OU is down at all, inconsistent yes. They are a very young, solid top 15 team. (#9 BCS)

I was half joking with my post. I give Mizzou alot of credit. I hear alot of people saying OU is overrated or choked. Funny though not many OU fans were thinking that OU would go undefeated in the first place. Sure, losing to #11 team on the road sucks, but its not like we lost to the Cyclones @ home or anything like that. That would have been a real choke job.

Mizzou is a quality football team, I'm really looking forward to a rematch in Dallas. I'll be rooting for them to win the rest of their games. (up until Dec 5th of course)

Old 10-24-2010, 09:50 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,025,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
MSU is undefeated. Alabama is not.

Sparty should be ranked higher than 'Bama.
This.

Anyways, my thoughts on the conference and BCS races;

The chaos is fun, but is sure hard to keep track of!! Let's look at individual conferences for example.

The SEC;

-Who wins the East? Georgia upset Kentucky who upset Carolina who upset #1 Bama. No seriously, I am confused. This years Cocktail Party (UF-UGA game) will have a big impact on the conference race I think. Then there is Carolina, they still have a chance but have some games left with the Gators, Arky and Clemson. I still wouldn't look past the Vols, either.

-Is Auburn for real? Most people say yes but some say they're still a tad one dimensional with the whole Newton factor. Still, they're 8-0 and will give who ever wins the East a fight. Bama ain't down and out either, the Iron Bowl will be EPIC. LSU still has a chance but...ehhhhh, I dunno (just my hunch).

-Honorable mention goes to Dan Mullen at Miss St. being bowl eligible, having a 6-2 record and still able to notch at least (really tho at MOST) two more wins against UK and Ole Miss.

The Big 10;

-The two big dogs are Sparty and Brutus. Sparty survived that scare at NU and is unbeaten. They don't fight the Scarlet and Grey and could run the table provided they defeat a still dangerous Iowa team. Speaking of the Bucks, they're still alive and could also theoretically win out as well, albeit them too having to guard against the Hawkeyes. (I guess you can count Michigan too, but since they have no defense, I smell no upset there).

-Hats off to Wisky playing a tough team against Iowa. Although I don't think they'll smell the roses, the Badgers are having a break out year. Iowa is as strong as ever but are on the outside looking in despite that. They can still win out but the above two games I mentioned will be tough. Could go either way for the Iowa-OSU-MSU matches honestly.

-What Else? So wierd seeing Penn State so BAD to me. Hope Minny actually gets a good coach, they're gonna need to get good to compete in that fearsome division of theirs. Contrary to some internet warriors hopes, Rich Rod will NOT get the pink slip. They can get to a bowl easily provided they TCB at Penn State, Indiana and Purdue.

The Pac 10;

-This is clearer to me, I see Oregon winning out. Despite the depth and quality of the conference as a whole, I just don't see any team with something up their sleeve that can compete with that speed! Still very much in the running for the Natty. Gotta be careful against USC, Arizona and even them Beavs though.

-And how bout that conference depth huh? Da Ducks, Stanford, 'Zona, OSU, SoCal, all solid. ASU surprised in some games. Locker is still legit for the Dawgs but I don't see them as a bowl team this year. Cal is schizo as usual but their D coordinator seems to be doing a good job. Hmm, could Wazzou have some life in them after all?

-Still don't get the stupid Rose Bowl rule, but whatever.

The Big XII;

-HOW ABOUT DEM TIGERS. Nice one by Pinkel and the Zou, the Husker-Tiger game should be awesome.

-Nice job on Baylor getting bowl eligible for the first time since 94, although their schedule gets mighty tough coming up. They're the best team in Texas right now! (as far as the Big XII is concerned).

-The South is a jumble right now, but I think Okie wins out and faces either Neb or Mizz in the champ game.

-Not sure what to saw about Texas that hasn't been said already. Kudos to the Cyclones is in order however. What a win.

-Guys in Lubbock and Lawrence are gonna have to sit tight cause it could be a rough next year or two ESPECIALLY for them Jayhawkers.

The ACC (My conference);

-Yawn; Not much to be said here. I can understand Florida State and Virginia Tech being up there but neither are nearly as good as they have been in the past. Unless some upsets happen (FSU vs. NCSU, VahTek vs. UNC/Miami) they'll likely be headed to Charlotte.

-UNC and NC State seem to be doing ok. FSU vs. NCSU will pretty much determine the Atlantic race cause no one else is close (IMHO). Dunno about UNC in the coastal, with their loss to Miami who suddenly decided NOT TO SUCK. They can at least get to a bowl with gimmies against William and Mary and Duke. Kudos to Butch Davis for putting in a decent year despite all that happened off the field.

-Clemson seems like a team that's better than it's record with it's win against GTech. Could they play spoiler for the ***** at the end of the season? He's not the wonderkind for Maryland he was before, but Fridge still seems like he can win enough to save his job. They can conceivably get to 7 wins with victories against Wake and UVA (AUUGH!)

-And as for my Cavaliers? Uhhhh...call me in two years after we recruit some talent.

Big East;

-Double Yawn. I'm no narcissistic Big East basher but honestly, they haven't put up. Supposed powers Pitt and WVU are underwhelming, as is Cincy and UConn VERY much so. Nothing has gone right for them since the loss at the Big House.

-Still nice job by Louisville and Syracuse at asserting themselves in conference play. It's too early to tell but it seems like under Coach Strong and Coach Marrone respectively, they've really turned a corner. The Orange could get to a bowl with their remaining schedule. How long has THAT been?

-I think Butch Jones can still do some damage (in a good way) at Cincy maybe just not this year. He's not BK, so people shouldn't expect BK results (IMHO).

The Rest;

-Utah, TCU and Boise are still rolling, though it's not looking good for Boise in them BCS rankings. Is it fair to say that it's out of the Bronco's hands now?

-San Diego State can get to a bowl game. All they have to do is take care of CSU, UNLV and Wyoming. To some this means nothing but it will be not only good for the Aztec Program to get something going but also for the MWC because they NEED San Diego to realize it's potential in terms of team success and therefore TV market money. They are the most underutilized team with the most potential to do well. With TCU, Boise, Fresno, Nevada, SDSU and Air Force, that's a legit conference. Hope they can hold on to Brady Hoke for a while!

-Only other non -AQ I look at is Temple. They're bowl eligible (yay!) but it looks like winning the MAC will be harder than expected.

-I'll be frank I haven't watched Notre Dame so I can't talk about em. HATE that Leprechaun mascot at the games though

Old 10-25-2010, 02:03 AM

977 posts, read 1,958,611 times
Quote:
I don't think NU is going to give Gabbert 8 seconds to make his passes like OU did.
Have you watched Nebraska's lines play the last couple of weeks? Can't get any pressure on the quarterback. Oklahoma State didn't have any problems moving the ball.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:19 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,463,439 times
Barkley is all fired up to play the Ducks. He tweetered this,

"Wow, Brock just got rocked! Lesnar is to Oregon as Velasquez is to SC. Lezgo."

Does Oregon have to slap a bi**ch?

Old 10-25-2010, 07:20 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,414,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Barkley is all fired up to play the Ducks. He tweetered this,

"Wow, Brock just got rocked! Lesnar is to Oregon as Velasquez is to SC. Lezgo."

Does Oregon have to slap a bi**ch?
Why are they giving them bulletin material. Probation or not...most PAC teams hate USC.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:44 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,463,439 times
I haven't wanted to destroy another team as badly as I do USC on Saturday. I hate Kiffin, I think Barkley is a self entitled lil' b**ch and most of the USC alumni is a bunch of bandwagon douches. I grew up in an USC family and I cannot stand them.

However, I think it will be difficult to beat SC at home. I think we can get it done, but we need to simply "Win the Day!"

Old 10-25-2010, 07:52 PM

77 posts, read 191,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
Have you watched Nebraska's lines play the last couple of weeks? Can't get any pressure on the quarterback. Oklahoma State didn't have any problems moving the ball.
The fact that NU gave up 41 to OKST should be automatic cause for concern in Lincoln. Does anybody here NOT think that Missouri can outphysical the Huskers in their place? After the way the Tigers pushed OU around (and I haven't seen an OU team get pushed around like that from a B12N team since the '03 title game), and the way NU has been completely outplayed in their last two home games, it may not be quite the contest that everybody thinks it will be. Nebraska would have a better chance in Columbia than in Lincoln, IMHO.

Winner of this game can punch their ticket to Dallas.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:22 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,286,308 times
Quote:

I also don't think OU is down at all, inconsistent yes. They are a very young, solid top 15 team. (#9 BCS)

I was half joking with my post. I give Mizzou alot of credit. I hear alot of people saying OU is overrated or choked. Funny though not many OU fans were thinking that OU would go undefeated in the first place. Sure, losing to #11 team on the road sucks, but its not like we lost to the Cyclones @ home or anything like that. That would have been a real choke job.

Mizzou is a quality football team, I'm really looking forward to a rematch in Dallas. I'll be rooting for them to win the rest of their games. (up until Dec 5th of course)
IF OU makes it to Dallas. Still got some tough games on the schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football