Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 04:38 PM

674 posts, read 1,460,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
You are saying that if TCU goes to the BCS NCG then that would be the one and only NON-AQ auto-bid? I could see how that would be true, but it doesn't seem right.
Per the rules, the highest ranked nonAQ that is in the top 12 (or 14, I forget) gets the automatic bid.

Case in point: 2008. Boise State was not the highest ranked nonAQ; Utah got the Sugar Bowl, Boise State got the Poinsettia Bowl despite being 12-0. Ohio State was chosen above us from the at large pool to go to the Fiesta Bowl against Texas. Boise State was ranked higher than Ohio State.

Same thing applies this year. If TCU ends the year higher ranked than Boise State, they get the nonAq autobid and get into the Rose Bowl or National Championship game. Boise State enters as an at-large and may or may not be selected.

The caveat to that rule is if somehow TCU is ranked 2 and Boise State ranked three... then by rule Boise State must be selected as an at large.

(Same holds true in these situations if Boise State is ranked higher and TCU is ranked lower.)

So as it stands today... the at large seems to be: Boise State, Stanford, LSU, Oklahoma State (if Nebraska wins the Big 12), Ohio State OR Michigan State OR Wisconsin (whomever isn't the Big 10 champ).

The bowls get to select 3. LSU is almost a shoe in, as is the other Big 12 team. Pretty much leaves it between Boise State, Stanford, and Okie State. Could be Oklahoma too depending on how the BCS rankings play out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 05:25 PM

977 posts, read 1,958,611 times
All of this talk about LSU is assuming they beat Arkansas...which they very well may not.
I think Auburn also loses to Alabama, but still wins the SEC's auto-bid.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:51 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,880,382 times
Imagine if they crowned Texas high school state champions the way the BCS does college.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:20 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,130,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Imagine if they crowned Texas high school state champions the way the BCS does college.
Everyone in Texas would beat the Hell out of the organizor of the BCS

Old 11-19-2010, 09:15 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,931,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Everyone in Texas would beat the Hell out of the organizor of the BCS
Or shoot 'em.

Either way, the point would be made...

Old 11-20-2010, 12:17 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,429,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

I WILL accept a BSU/TCU National Title, wheather the country wants it or not.
I'd love to see that. I'm a Boise fan AND it would likely spell the end of the BCS.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:15 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,543,094 times
I would love a Boise TCU title game.

Though I would prefer Boise vs. Auburn, Boise vs. Oregon, TCU vs. Auburn or TCU vs. Oregon.

Then the team that isn't in the championship game gets a shot at a so called "big boy"

Though at this point, how the hell are TCU and Boise St. not considered big boys.

The hypocrisy is astounding. TCU wins by 5 against a San Diego St. team that is at the VERY least the equal of CAL (I would say they are quite a bit better, check out the Missouri game who is ranked 15). TCU gets punished. Oregon beats a CAL team by 2 and does not.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:16 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,617,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
The BCS MNC is decided on the field. No one is "crowned".

Old 11-20-2010, 08:36 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,270,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
I would love a Boise TCU title game.

Though I would prefer Boise vs. Auburn, Boise vs. Oregon, TCU vs. Auburn or TCU vs. Oregon.

Then the team that isn't in the championship game gets a shot at a so called "big boy"

Though at this point, how the hell are TCU and Boise St. not considered big boys.

The hypocrisy is astounding. TCU wins by 5 against a San Diego St. team that is at the VERY least the equal of CAL (I would say they are quite a bit better, check out the Missouri game who is ranked 15). TCU gets punished. Oregon beats a CAL team by 2 and does not.
Cal cheated, and faked injuries, Cal is a powerhouse at home. Oregon has lost to Cal 3 times in a row. Oregon beat a tough conference team. San Diego St? Who is that anyway? Oregon could have gone up another 7 points but sat on the ball when victory was in the bag.

BSU plays High school teams...I live here in Boise, its disgusting. Hearing how they put 50 on a JC team (slightly better that JC anyway) gets old fast.

Boise, you just go to some nice little bowl with all your uninjured players and the the real men will go to the National championship. If you do go to a Glendale, Oregon will Rock your team back to the WAC where you and your headache causing field belongs.

I was listing to the Rose Bowl Rep last night, and he didn't sound like he was looking forward to being forced to take you to his Bowl, it was really funny.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:05 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,463,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
Last year the Oregon defense held them to 18. The difference is... Broncos have the same team, and Oregon has an even better team.
I'd argue Boise is far better this year than last year as well.

I agree that the Oregon D is underrated. But I also think the Oregon offense is a lot overrated. Was Cal an aberration? These next two weeks will be interesting to see.[/quote]

Shocking...a BSU fan thinks the Ducks have an overrated offense.

I love all you who think Cal had the master plan to stop us by watching the highlights on Sportscenter. You all should be coaches and make millions if you have all the answers.

Here is how Cal looked so good:

1. They loaded the line with their linebackers (7-8 men)
2. Darron Thomas missed open receivers all night long which resulted in his worse game of the year
3. By failing to stretch the field, Cal continued to crowd the line
4. By crowding the line, Oregon was unable to run effectively
5. Oregon missed 2 easy field goals themselves (which Sportscenter failed to even mention)
6. Chip Kelly failed to make the proper adjustments (fly sweeps, using Kenjon Barner, bubble screens)- coaches have those games and Kelly will not repeat that mistake
7. It was Cal! Cal has a ton of 4 and 5 star recruits who are talented. Cal always plays Oregon tough and has badly beaten Oregon at Berkeley the last three times

So, if Darron Thomas has a worse game then things can get a lot uglier. But, I doubt Oregon plays that poorly again. Kelly and Thomas will review the tape, Barner will play a lot more, and the play book will get a bit bigger. However, a win over Cal by 2 points is fine by me. Just like a win over Zona and OSU by 2 points will be fine by me as well.

Last edited by Acuda; 11-20-2010 at 09:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football