Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 05:21 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,469,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
That's for sure!...LOL. They haven't even been dominant in the Big 12, Texas and OU have that distinction. If the Aggies end up in the SEC they will be utterly annihilated each week.
Hey, I'm really looking forward to playing Tech. A few other Duck fans have been over on your board and have said y'all seem fairly level headed about the Pac-10 and funny as h*ll.

Don't know if y'all have changed your spread much this year, but Oregon spread vs. Tech spread would have been entertaining to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 05:23 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,188,581 times
A&M was doing okay in the Big 12 until they fired RC Slocum. That's when the bottom really fell out.

Montana and Montana State may sound silly, but the schools are actually pretty decent. Montana is usually in the hunt for the NC at their division which historically is an indicator that the school can move up without being a complete punching bag in DI. It has a very large stadium for its division and could probably expand immediately if it was part of a major DIA conference that could bring a crowd to away games. Oh and for all the tv crazy folks Missoula has doubled its population in the last decade. Montana State is not quite up there, but from my understanding it isn't very far behind. State law requires them to be in the same conference though so they're a package deal though. Of course there are probably better options out there, but I thought it was worth the mention.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:51 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,534,021 times
I agree that the SEC is the best football conference and it's not even close. If we're headed for 16 team conferences, I predict the following to happen. Remember this only a prediction, nothing more.

Big Ten

Nebraska, Minn, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Notre Dame, Northwestern
Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St., Penn St., Pitt, Syracuse

PAC 16

Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon St., Cal, Stanford, UCLA, USC
Arizona, Arizona St., BYU, Utah, Boise St., Colorado, Oklahoma St., Kansas

SEC

Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, LSU, Tenn, Arkansas, Miss, Miss St.
Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, Vandy, Virginia Tech

From an athletics standpoint, Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma are a good fit with the SEC. If my predictions come true, the SEC would annihilate the rest of the country in football, baseball and perhaps basketball. I just don't see how these Texas schools would fit in the PAC 10, it just seems very odd.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:53 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,961,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
It's not Homerism, it's a fact that Football wise the SEC is the best conference, all of the other sports I don't care about, what sport does most universities make most of their sports revenue from FOOTBALL and no other conference will give the SEC it's props so the fans do it for them.

Your homerism is showing when you say it is THE BEST. The Big XII has a winning record over the SEC over the last 10 years, I do believe, and that is in FOOTBALL.

All of the other sports there isn't even a mild comparison; Big XII conquers the SEC.

And if you forget, in the first line, I did say that the Big XII has the better record against the SEC over the last 10 years.

Last edited by buzzpost; 06-12-2010 at 06:08 PM..

Old 06-12-2010, 11:57 PM

2,332 posts, read 3,952,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
PAC 16

Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon St., Cal, Stanford, UCLA, USC
Arizona, Arizona St., BYU, Utah, Boise St., Colorado, Oklahoma St., Kansas

SEC

Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, LSU, Tenn, Arkansas, Miss, Miss St.
Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, Vandy, Virginia Tech

I just don't see how these Texas schools would fit in the PAC 10, it just seems very odd.
So Oklahoma State fits in with the Pac-10, but not the Texas schools?

Old 06-13-2010, 04:22 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,872,862 times
well it certainly is a new world for college sports, isn't it.

So many places to go, so little time to do so. The dilemma the Horns and Aggies face. There must be a solution here somewhere that fits well in this new era when anything goes and everything that once was went.

There is only one logical choice for Texas and Texas A&M who look west, east, and northeast for their answers:

2011 in the Pac Sixteen
2012 in the Big Sixteen
2013 in the SEC
2014 in the NFL (no one can doubt that the Cowboys and Texans would be their natural rivals)

Old 06-13-2010, 10:25 AM

5,637 posts, read 6,534,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
So Oklahoma State fits in with the Pac-10, but not the Texas schools?
Personally, I don't think Ok St. really belongs in the PAC 10, but what other options do they have? The Big Ten and SEC don't want them.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:27 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,028,560 times
Can I ask a question

What is with all this cultural fit nonsense?

Why is everyone worried about some one being conservative or liberal or whatever. From the fan standpoint this is about watching and paying for football games, not political surveying.

And the academic deal, last I checked Pac 10 did not have a formal academic consortium like the Big 10, I don't even think my conference the ACC does. So Texas's crowing about academic fit is really snooty in my opinion. If academic fits were so important, the likes of Cal and Stanford wouldn't be aligned with Wazzou and Oregon State.

More to the point, I think Texas should stop being silly and join TAMU in the SEC, they make sense for both schools in terms of economics, (primarily in travel expenses for all programs) both bring huge markets and fan bases, I don't think the SEC would loos money with those two.

If the Longhorns inexplicably move West, then by all means TAMU move to the SEC. You'd take some lumps in the short term sure, but provided you have the right staff you could compete sooner than later I believe.

After all if the Aggies go to the Pac 10 it's status quo. Will Texas always be the big dog, not necessarily, loosing finds anyone.

But as of right now, there is little chance of the Aggies stepping out of their brothers shadow, why not take a risk? Bill McCartney at Colorado initiated a rivalry with the Huskers back in the day. Why? Because to be the best, you gotta BEAT the best. Concequently, the buffs best days were under Bill.

Go on, take a chance, long term it could very well pay off. Plus I think the fanbase would just LOVE IT when all is said and done.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:20 PM

623 posts, read 1,546,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
or try to get Montana and Montana State to make the jump to DIA.
<<<<<

I'm assuming this is severely sarcastic. If not, that is the most ridiculous comment I've seen in this thread. It's kinda like saying, "Hey, the Gamecocks left for the Big10 so let's try to get Morehead St. to make the jump to bigtime D1 football."

SEC fans need to show just a tad bit of respect. We all know the Big 12 North blows, but no one expected the Cornhuskers to fall off like they did. On the other hand, year in and year out the Big 12 South is arguably the toughest division in all of college football.

Cheers.
The Montana Grizzlies could absolutely go D-1, today, in terms of fan support. They brought an army all the way to Chattanooga a few years ago for the championship game and they average enough per home game right now to qualify for D-1 status. Making the jump directly to a BCS conference is out of the question, but not moving up one level, imo.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:48 PM

623 posts, read 1,546,910 times
BFeldmanESPN
RT @ChipBrownOB: Texas A&M turned down invite to join Pac-10 in mtg today with Larry Scott in College Station, a Big 12 AD confirms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football