Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:35 PM

74 posts, read 358,603 times

Advertisements

Hornetboy,
Your Bald Face Hornet nest is very similar to ours. They took up residence in our Juniper Bush and were there all summer without us even knowing it! We will be moving across the U.S. in a few months. Do you have any experience on how to move them this long of a distance? I'm a wreck they will get ruined! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 02:54 AM

9 posts, read 244,611 times
I sincerely apologize for not responding sooner. I've been having problems with this darn computer!

Anyway...

My nest is similar to yours, eh? What is the size of your LARGEST nest? Mine is at least 3 FEET tall!

By the way, were you able to check out the two links (which I provided to you in my previous post) yet? If so, what do you think about them?

Here is the information which you had requested (It is geared toward shipping nests, but I don't see why you can't use it for moving them too!):

The best method to use when mailing a vacated nest to
someone is to obtain a large, sturdy cardboard
container. You should use PLENTY of styrofoam packing
peanuts (only) to pack the nest with. DO NOT use
crumpled-up newspaper or other items to pack the nest
with because these things will crush the nest. I've
had quite a few nests mailed to me which were packed
in this way. As a result, they were crushed by the
time I got them. When used alone, styrofoam packing
peanuts is the best packing material to use in my
opinion. Make sure the packing peanuts surround ALL
SIDES of the nest (including an extra thick layer on
the bottom of the container before putting the nest
in). Also, make sure you place a sheet of cardboard
on top of the container BEFORE closing the flaps on
top (This will prevent the flaps from pressing into
the nest and damaging it). After the nest is securely
packed and sealed, don't forget to write "FRAGILE" or
"HANDLE WITH CARE" in big, bold letters on the outside
of the package. This should cut down on the amount of
damage done to the nest during the shipping and
handling process.

I have enclosed some photos which show me holding another one of my MONSTER nests. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki Girl View Post
Hornetboy,
Your Bald Face Hornet nest is very similar to ours. They took up residence in our Juniper Bush and were there all summer without us even knowing it! We will be moving across the U.S. in a few months. Do you have any experience on how to move them this long of a distance? I'm a wreck they will get ruined! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Collecting Wasps Nests-img_0475a.jpg   Collecting Wasps Nests-img_0476a.jpg   Collecting Wasps Nests-img_0477a.jpg   Collecting Wasps Nests-img_0478a.jpg  

Old 07-18-2008, 06:12 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,533,523 times
Pretty cool hobby. We have many wasps here in south central Oklahoma. I sprayed our front porch with WD-40 to prevent them from nesting right over our front door.

As for favorites, I like the mud-dobbers best. Sorry I don't know their real or scientific name. I like them because they don't sting me.

The yellow jackets here are extremely aggressive. I was stung by one on the calf last summer. They dive bomb and hit me in the head as a warning.

If I come across a dinner plate sized one, I will keep you in mind. We have two under our eaves now. I knock them down and they rebuild over and over.

Here is a pic of an Oklahoma boy's truck after it was on Pimp My Truck:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/trick_my_truck.jpg (broken link)

Gary "The Honey Man" Grose loves two things: honey making and educating people about honey making. Gary's honey-making business produces over 18,000 pounds of honey a year...

CMT.com : Shows : Trick My Truck : Gary Grose's Buzzworthy : Episode

Last edited by _redbird_; 07-18-2008 at 06:30 AM..

Old 07-22-2008, 09:49 PM

Hey... I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma!

It is interesting that you mentioned a dinner plate-sized nest because I have one in my collection. It is a HUGE red wasp nest which measures a whopping 12 inches (1 foot) across!!! I've posted a pic which shows me holding this MONSTER to give you an idea of its true size.

Yes, please DO let me know if you come across any giant nests. Thanks!

That is an AWESOME truck!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Pretty cool hobby. We have many wasps here in south central Oklahoma. I sprayed our front porch with WD-40 to prevent them from nesting right over our front door.

If I come across a dinner plate sized one, I will keep you in mind. We have two under our eaves now. I knock them down and they rebuild over and over.

Here is a pic of an Oklahoma boy's truck after it was on Pimp My Truck:

Gary "The Honey Man" Grose loves two things: honey making and educating people about honey making. Gary's honey-making business produces over 18,000 pounds of honey a year...

CMT.com : Shows : Trick My Truck : Gary Grose's Buzzworthy : Episode
Attached Thumbnails
Collecting Wasps Nests-picture-136.jpg  

Old 07-23-2008, 06:52 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,675,326 times
Quote:
Anyone here like to collect wasps nest? I know it sounds bizarre, but they are so cool. When the wasps go underground in the fall we remove the nest and keep it in our shed for a few weeks to make sure there are no stragglers! We have a HUGE one like maybe 15'' by 10". Really cool.

I had a huge one I found in the woods when I lived in Illinois. It was indeed beautiful. Some folks thought I was beyond strange to have that in my living room. It did not survive a move and I haven't found another fully intact since. When I do, It will be in a very visable place.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:43 AM

I am sorry that your nest was destroyed. Exactly how large was it? There is NOTHING strange about using a beautiful hornet nest (which is abandoned, of course) as a room decoration because MORE people do it than you might realize! I would like to think that our hobby is unique or unusual, but not strange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-rose View Post
I had a huge one I found in the woods when I lived in Illinois. It was indeed beautiful. Some folks thought I was beyond strange to have that in my living room. It did not survive a move and I haven't found another fully intact since. When I do, It will be in a very visable place.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:25 AM

74 posts, read 358,603 times
Hornet Boy,
Thanks for the info on how to pack a nest for moving! Sorry It took me so long to reply, but we are in the middle of trying to sell our house and get things in order here!

Old 08-09-2008, 10:27 AM

Default More monster nests

No problem!

Please check out the photos below which show MORE of my monster nests from my collection.

Quote:
Hornet Boy,
Thanks for the info on how to pack a nest for moving! Sorry It took me so long to reply, but we are in the middle of trying to sell our house and get things in order here!
Attached Thumbnails
Collecting Wasps Nests-img_0741a.jpg   Collecting Wasps Nests-img_0742a.jpg   Collecting Wasps Nests-img_0785a.jpg   Collecting Wasps Nests-img_0784a.jpg   Collecting Wasps Nests-img_0787a.jpg  

Old 08-12-2008, 08:26 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,587,421 times
When I was like 16 we had a big nest of yellowjackets in a treelawn tree one summer. That year we had sewer work RIGHT by that tree.

Construction worker comes to the door.
Worker, “you gonna get rid of the yellow jacket nest?”
Me, “nope, and my father is not going to pay to have it taken down”
Worker, “you like them?”
Me, “nope, I hate yellowjackets”
Worker, “Can I get rid of them”
Me, “knock yourself out”

Next day.
Worker, “You need to stay inside for 5 minutes”
Me, shrug, “fine”

2 mins later
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

M80 for the win

Old 08-16-2008, 04:47 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,534,641 times
A couple I worked with used to take care of a small country church cemetery for years. One day while mowing on a riding mower, she accidentally she mowed over a hole with ground hornets or whatever they are. They all swarmed all over her, stinging her like crazy. Her husband came over and was trying to get the bees off her. She said she didn't know which hurt worse...the stings or getting hit over and over with that hard little button on the top of her husband's hat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques