Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:32 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times

Advertisements

Hello,

When my grandmother died a few years back, I "inherited" a bin with a lot of coins-most American, some European. I know nothing about coins. Some of this coins are old. Could someone suggest a book or website that could guide me through the value of these coins? Where would I start? I don't want to go to a dealer because I know nothing about coins and their value.

Thank you,

Nicolem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 09:47 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Google u.s.coin prices and you should get quite a bit. I dropped out of collecting in 1980 but it's a great hobby/investment. If there is a Barnes and Noble or Borders near you check it out. There are several coin price guides available in the hobbies and crafts section. In the magazine section Coin Prices has either monthly or every other months on coins, trends, latest activity on high dollar coins, etc.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:28 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
In addition to a price guide I'd suggest you pick up a grading guide to familiarize yourself with condition, it can make a HUGE price difference with some coins and be only a minor difference with others.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:38 PM

Thank you DOUBLE H and burdell! I appreciate your help!

Nicolem

Old 06-22-2008, 04:06 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Local coin shops will also carry redbook guides. Be cautious about getting quotes unless you know about the store you take them to.

You can get help here: Money.org | Home (http://www.money.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home - broken link)

Perhaps not for pricing, etc, but for good advice and reliable local contacts.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Local coin shops will also carry redbook guides. Be cautious about getting quotes unless you know about the store you take them to.

You can get help here: Money.org | Home (http://www.money.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home - broken link)

Perhaps not for pricing, etc, but for good advice and reliable local contacts.
Thank you Tek_Freek!

Nicolem

Old 06-23-2008, 07:58 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
You are welcome.

I know about this organization because one of my clients is very active in it. Past Pres of the state chapter here and the main reason our state no longer taxes sales of gold.

If you lived closer I'd recommend you talk with him, but it's a bit of a hike from NH.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:14 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Good advice by Tek Freek and Burdell. I haven't cashed in what I collected since I was a kid but my problem are sliding grades, coins that are almost mint (MS-60) but not. The redbook guide has been publishing for many, many years. When you get into condition, they do it right; large photo illustrations of coin conditions on most every coin ever made. The ANA museum (American Numismatic Association) is based in Colorado Springs and is a great place to visit for beginning and advanced collectors.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:30 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Good advice by Tek Freek and Burdell. I haven't cashed in what I collected since I was a kid but my problem are sliding grades, coins that are almost mint (MS-60) but not. The redbook guide has been publishing for many, many years. When you get into condition, they do it right; large photo illustrations of coin conditions on most every coin ever made. The ANA museum (American Numismatic Association) is based in Colorado Springs and is a great place to visit for beginning and advanced collectors.

There's also a book, the name of which escapes me, that features line drawings of coins in all grades as well as detailed descriptions of exactly what design details must be present to meet a certain grade.

The Red Book is a useful guide to relative rarity but being published only once a year can put it somewhat behind the both up and down markets. Anyone know if the weekly 'Gray Sheet' is still published or??????

Old 06-23-2008, 01:57 PM

Thanks everyone-you have all been so helpful. I do not plan on rushing out and selling what I have right away-I was just curious to know what exactly I do have. Thank you all-your information will get me started!

Nicolem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques