Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 07:38 AM

625 posts, read 1,585,693 times

Advertisements

Hey CD folks, I have a penny from 2001 that was mis-struck. I got it at the bank (of all places) in early 2001, when I was getting change for the shop drawer. It is so bad that it is oval a bit. I have no idea how it got past the mint crew. Anyway I showed it to a customer (antique dealer) and he wanted to buy it for what I thought was allot for a penny. When he was so quick to offer (and I knew he was a cheapskate and not a "true" coin expert) I decided to take it to a pro to see why he was so interested. Then the coin got lost in the office. I have recently moved my shop to Missouri and when unpacking and going through things I found it. The plastic it was in just go stuck to something else. So with the story told now I wonder if any of you fine folks know which way I should go. Is this thing really valuable? Who can you trust to tell you the truth? Any advice is appreciated.
About the coin. Date 200? Can't see the last digit but has to be either 2000 or 2001. I got it before April 2001 and it was rolled and looked "spankin" LOL. Very clear stamping front and back. Almost exactly half of the image. Slightly oval (which made it fit the roll funny and makes me wonder why no one caught it) Good shape-been covered and in-hiding for almost 10 years. Any help is appreciated. PS sorry about the poor pict quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody collect coins?-penny-1.jpg   Anybody collect coins?-penny-2.jpg  

Last edited by BillyC64; 03-24-2010 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: Add a line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 09:24 AM

23,850 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Some info:
Lincoln Cents with Off-Center strikes

The value of it is whatever the market will bear - there's no fixed value for errors. If I were you, I'd start watching eBay auctions and coin sites to see what similar specimens are fetching. I'd also wait until the economy improves before trying to sell it, unless you really need whatever money it can bring right now. The collectibles industry is very dependent on people having disposable income, and is among the first to take a hit when the economy sours.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:59 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Don't loose it again..... If you have any sence put that coin in a safe, in a marked envelope, and tell yourself what it is in 3 times, and never forget.

May I ask what the cheap skate offered?

The next thing to do is see if you can find any others like it on line, in coin shops and asking collectors.

Research quality and fair coin shops, with out telling them why. Look at any feed back customers say about these places. Get a few pics you could leave behind and or mail to a quality shop. Becarefull of that coin.

It is rare which you already know, the question now is how rare is it? If it is the only one then it could be a problem, but if there is say 25 known others, then it will have a collector value quickly. Be wise and not hasty.

Look up other rare pennies from days gone by too. Or you could just send it to me

Old 03-24-2010, 10:41 PM

625 posts, read 1,585,693 times
Default 40 Bucks

Thanks for ideas, folks. 40 dollars without even blinking. I knew something wasn't right. I have started a little looking and some of these things are crazy priced. I think I will just hang on to it for a bit and keep my eyes open. I know it's worth at least 1 cent

Old 03-26-2010, 12:29 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Guys 9movers) like that know they can double their offer fast.... So it's worth 80 atleast, and my guess is if you are carefull more than that by double again.

What you need to do is find someone that has one and is a collector dealer. That will get you info on retail, as if you wanted to buy such a coin.

With that info you can still wait and see, or decide to sell, and maybe take a 10% discount to retail.

If you have finger prints on that coin get them off with mild soap and water soon. Not because your finger prints will be ilegal, but for the acid in your fingers tips won't etch into the thin layer of copper. You want that coin as mint new as possible.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:17 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,136,769 times
I collect them very casually, but I do know some collectors specialize in error coins.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:34 AM

14,108 posts, read 2,772,561 times
Oh yes I like to collect coins.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:09 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
It isn't just how rare a coin is that determines its value, but also whether or not there is a demand for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques