Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 05:32 PM

926 posts, read 2,747,192 times

Advertisements

Since my job is 100% travel I started collecting hotel room keys. They are all different, even if you go to a chain hotel! I have a label maker and I type and paste the city and date on the key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 08:28 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,190,425 times
Not I, but my husband collects spinning tops. He has boxes and boxes of them - old, new, plastic, wooden, metal, promotional/advertising, gyroscopes, dreidels, etc. He started collecting them after buying a small, handmade wooden top at a craft fair in Cape May, NJ around 15 years ago. He'd spin it whenever he sat at his desk, and the rest is history!

Old 03-16-2008, 08:36 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,190,425 times
As for me, I used to collect Precious Moments, but I haven't for the past 10 yrs. or so.

I do, however, have LOTS of Christmas ornaments. I love to get one wherever I go, even if it's just a day trip. I probably have enough stuff to decorate three trees. The past couple of years I've put up a regular size tree for some of my stuff and a smaller tree with ornaments of kids stuff (I've gotten my son quite a few different ones related to movies, cartoons, etc.)

Old 03-17-2008, 04:34 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
Coins. However, they are not my collection, but my fathers. He left them to me when he passed.

He had some wonderful coins. Old old coins. Coins from all over the world.

I do collect other things.... but nothing like what this collection is....

Old 03-19-2008, 06:42 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times
I started saving change about three years ago, which I periodically count out and add to each sandwich bag of pennies, nickels, and dimes. No quarters, because those are used for laundry! I have over $200.

I also collect refrigerator magnets, but I don't have nearly as many as some of you do!!! I figure magnets are small enough to not to too intrusive. It's not like collecting cellos, for instance.

I'm a book lover, so yes, I have hundreds of books that take up most of the space in my apartment. I'm not a book collector, per se, because I don't look for rare volumes or anything. I just keep the ones I want to read over and over again.

Music is another collection, but I'm behind on technology. I've just discovered the joys of MP3 files. I have over 100 CDs, and hundreds of cassettes (yes, I'm dating myself now, aren't I?).

Old 03-20-2009, 06:01 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I collect dolls, bookmarks , and postcards . I collect the bookmarks cause they were made by friends of mine and they are each different and no one is the same i think it is wonderfull because that person made that with me in mind .I enjoy my collection and I hope to one day be able to take it out of the box and show it off .

Old 03-20-2009, 12:02 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,706 times
I know this is an old thread that got revived, so I am going to post my response.

I collect oil lamps, Indian brass, and unicorns. The unicorns I have been collecting since I was around 10yo. The others I have been collecting for the past 10-15 years. I also want to start a collection of old brass bed warmers. (the ones with long wooden handles)

I have gone through my collections several times and I have eliminated some, the ones that I have come to see as no longer pretty or valuable.

My oil lamps have come in handy many a time when we have power outages. I am able to put 1-2 in several rooms so that we can continue to move about the house with ease. They are safer than candles and I can control how much light is given off. My kids have been very happy with my collection of oil lamps.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:28 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,181,932 times
Books

Old 03-20-2009, 05:01 PM

749 posts, read 1,789,278 times
I collect shot glasses from all over the world when we travel.

I also collect oil lamps. Old or new.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:25 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,481,729 times
Pez dispensers...crazy as it seems I think they are cute and unique. Not to mention in expensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques