Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 12:57 PM

6 posts, read 9,615 times

Advertisements

[LEFT]HI,

need to get out of cleveland.... we are thinkg of a few places of Charleston, Myrtle beach, Wilmington NC, Brunswick Ga, Savannah, or Tarpon Springs fla.

What is the pool season... I would like to swim alot..

What about medical jobs. (coder), is there any out there??

HOw bad is the bugs??

How sticky does it get...???

I have tried those comparison sites, but just getting more confused.. I'm thinking of just trowing a dart on the map.

WOuld like a built in pool and close to beach, those are the only requirments.

any advice?????

SHeri

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/savan...#ixzz0hzgrfoJh
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 01:05 PM

23 posts, read 42,957 times
wilmington, nc is ok, but having been to charleston and savannah I can tell you I would much rather live in either of those two cities. Much more beautiful, cheaper, and more history.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:20 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times
defenitely more history and beauty, Charleston is not cheaper.
when we were looking Charleston quickly became expensive and
the big negative for us was that it is harder
to get to the beach. parking on Isle of Palms, Sullivan's Island, Folly beach is
next to impossible. if it is in your budget there should be no problem for you to have beach and pool,
but we are talking 1 million plus,plus.
Wilmington has many beautiful spots , beach is very acsessible , we love it here but
we also did not want to leave NC.

first determine where you can get a job , then visit to see where
you feel at home.

all the places gets sticky , all have plenty bugs.
all places should have medical jobs.
pool with come within a certain price range , not as common in Wilmington as up north.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 5,693 times
I have lived in Wilmington all my life. I just recently moved to Fayetteville due to family circumstances. Wilmington is an amazing place to live. Just because it covers all the landscapes Beach, City, and

Country. You can be in either within 30 minutes. I miss it more and more everyday living in Fayetteville(never move here). Well by pool season I guess you mean when is it warm enough to swim? Usually

late April or early may through September. If you are young try to learn to surf. It's one of the most amazing experiences a person can have it could help you make local friends too. Even if your older give it

a try sometime. Everyone is friendly I've seen some people from the north complaining about this which is weird. Just to clear the record for anyone that thinks southerners hate yankees and certain races.

Wilmington people are some of the most open minded salt of the earth men and women you'll meet. And 50 percent of them are from the north. Sometimes our elderly might use racial slurs or something for

example my grandpa does every now and then. But he is never in the present company at the time and his best friend is black. He even rallied for Obama lol.(our elderly find that Chris Rock joke hilarious.)

Everyone else though is perfectly adapted especially considering a percentile of the population is UNCW students. The only reason people will dislike you down here is if you refuse to wave back to them no

matter the color or sex if you don't wave or if you don't use the words mam or sir, well then your just a damn Yankee. Seriously, manners are a big thing in the south. Others think southerners dislike people

from the north. Well this is also untrue. We just face some of the same problems places like the NY Burroughs do. People with more wealth are slowly driving out the middle class and only leaving the poor

and wealthy. And I don't think you can really escape that kind of culture war anywhere. And sadly after all of this I must admit. Yes, we do have those damn rednecks that rant about fair tax and how the

foreigners are taking our jobs, but then shop at the Walmart Supercenter for everything. But, luckily most of them live out on the outer regions about 20 miles outside of Wilmington. So, just make sure you

wave and strike up pointless conversations with that Mam or Sir while at the checkout line and you'll be fine. I love Wilmington if you are looking for a prospering medium city that doesn't want to be a big

city then it's the place to go. And hey if youre from Ohio then your plates and license will have the wright brothers on them. So you can already feel at home (are states have been fighting over them for

years.) Honestly though if you have the money to move to Charleston go their. I've only been a few times but it is one of the beautiful places I've ever been. Savannah, Georgia is a little to south for me. It is a

nice place though. And Florida? We actually do refer to them as Damn Yankess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina